PS1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #526 of 3,605
Quote:
wonder why grado never had their flagship ship standard with metal rodblocks.......shouldn't be seeing cheap plastic on headphones as expensive as the ps1000 (more than hd 800, even rivaling the th900 and lcd-3 in price),

The plastic rod-blocks are suitable for the lightweight earcups that are used in the Prestige and Reference series Grados. But the weight of the PS1000's earcups are simply too heavy for the rod-blocks to bear, so slippage is a regular occurrence. Grado really should have designed an improved rod-block for their flagship headphone that could be adjusted and secured.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #528 of 3,605
Quote:
Got my PS1000's today. I am very impressed, to say the least.  I have a whole new music collection to listen to now.

I would say "welcome to the club", but I'm not in the darn club yet!
redface.gif

Nice phones! Hope you'll post some more impressions as you spend time with them.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #530 of 3,605
Quote:
The plastic rod-blocks are suitable for the lightweight earcups that are used in the Prestige and Reference series Grados. But the weight of the PS1000's earcups are simply too heavy for the rod-blocks to bear, so slippage is a regular occurrence. Grado really should have designed an improved rod-block for their flagship headphone that could be adjusted and secured.

I agree, that's why i always store my PS1000s flat when i'm not using them, i've read that they're is someone that can modify them for you, and install metal blocks, i can't remember wich thread it was tough.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #531 of 3,605
Quote:
Do the cups mark or scratch up easy on these?

They do, but i always handle them using the supplied white cotton gloves, so it's all good. 
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #533 of 3,605
Quote:

I would say "welcome to the club", but I'm not in the darn club yet!
redface.gif

Nice phones! Hope you'll post some more impressions as you spend time with them.

A major upgrade from My Ultrasone HFI 780's and Sennheiser 600's.  They make those sound pretty pale in comparison.

To use the cliche'd phrase, I'm hearing things in my music that I've not heard before.  My Ultrasones seem cramped and muddy in comparison, and the 600's sound flat and rather lifeless.   I've listened to them off and on all day, and I'm leaving them plugged into my Sansui 9090DB to accelerate the break in.  But I don't now how they could sound much better.  But I've read that they "need" 100 hours or so to settle in.

My descriptive abilities are pretty weak. LIke with a fine wine, I just know what I like. I don't now all the descriptive phrases and catch words.  But these cans are a really fine wine. To me anyway.

I have over 500 CD's and tons of FLAC files and MP3's that I will be listening to.  Its going to be fun.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #534 of 3,605
Quote:
A major upgrade from My Ultrasone HFI 780's and Sennheiser 600's.  They make those sound pretty pale in comparison.

To use the cliche'd phrase, I'm hearing things in my music that I've not heard before.  My Ultrasones seem cramped and muddy in comparison, and the 600's sound flat and rather lifeless.   I've listened to them off and on all day, and I'm leaving them plugged into my Sansui 9090DB to accelerate the break in.  But I don't now how they could sound much better.  But I've read that they "need" 100 hours or so to settle in.

My descriptive abilities are pretty weak. LIke with a fine wine, I just know what I like. I don't now all the descriptive phrases and catch words.  But these cans are a really fine wine. To me anyway.

I have over 500 CD's and tons of FLAC files and MP3's that I will be listening to.  Its going to be fun.

Rediscovering your music collection is a beautiful thing, man...I couldn't agree more. 

What you're describing is exactly what happened to me when I first started out. My approach was to pick up a handful of phones in the $100 range and then when I found one I really liked, I'd pull the trigger on a higher end model. Well, I had some Ultrasone 15Gs, some AKG minis, Sennheiser 518, and one or two others....but when I put the Grado SR80s on my head, I was pretty taken with them. They stood out from all the others in a great way. I'm not saying they were better headphones, but in terms of my preferences and what appeals to me, they just spoke to me. So yeah, I"m quite certain than for those who love Grados, the 1000 series phones will really allow other headphones to sound a bit less involving. Enjoy 'em!!

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #535 of 3,605
Quote:
i've read that they're is someone that can modify them for you, and install metal blocks, i can't remember wich thread it was tough.

I made a post about that the other day here.
beyersmile.png

Quote:
Got my PS1000's today. I am very impressed, to say the least.  I have a whole new music collection to listen to now.

Congratulations!
I've had them for about one and a half years now and they still put a smile on my face!.
Enjoy.

Cheers!

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #536 of 3,605
Quote:
I made a post about that the other day here.
beyersmile.png

Congratulations!
I've had them for about one and a half years now and they still put a smile on my face!.
Enjoy.

Cheers!

Thaks loveleylady, i couldn't remember the title of the thread.

I too feel the same way you do about my PS1000s, but to be honest, i feel the same about my SR80is too, the price/performance ratio on these is incredible, and everytime i put them on, they still impress me even after almost two years. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #537 of 3,605
lol, I think Stacker and I are the two biggest proponents of the 80s in the entire head-fi community....pretty damn amazing what $99 can buy you these days, though

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #538 of 3,605
Quote:
lol, I think Stacker and I are the two biggest proponents of the 80s in the entire head-fi community....pretty damn amazing what $99 can buy you these days, though

You got that right Focker, as i've said before, altough i'm gratefull to be able to own what i think are very nice headphones, i'd still be a happy camper with the SR80is as my one and only pair.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #539 of 3,605
Quote:

You got that right Focker, as i've said before, altough i'm gratefull to be able to own what i think are very nice headphones, i'd still be a happy camper with the SR80is as my one and only pair.

right there with ya, my friend :)

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #540 of 3,605
I'm wondering if anybody has recabled their PS1000 with balanced cables. Have you noticed an increase in sound quality when used with a fully-balanced amp and source? I have a new Headamp GS-X on the way and am also thinking about getting a PS1000. I once read on this forum (but now can't find it) that Grado headphones don't benefit all that much from balanced cabling. What's your experience been?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back