PS1000 Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #451 of 3,605
Quote:
Just wanted to follow up on my original post, where I asked what amp to get to take these headphones to the next level.  I ended snagging a Bryston BHA1 from another head-fier.  I've been listening to it for the last couple days and I cannot wipe the smile off of my face.  All the things I love about these headphones are just, well, amplified. (lol, I couldn't resist.)  The detailed highs are more detailed; the full and engaging mids and bass are more full and engaging; the space and openness is greater than it has ever been; the textures are that much more palpable.

I was using a M-stage with the bias opamp modification, and for the price that unit sounds great.  But this is a whole different level.  I don't have a breadth of experience with other amps in this range, so I can't do any direct comparisons.  But I can tell you that the Bryston sounds incredible with these headphones.  

Now back to listening and grinning stupidly...

That's great to hear as I have a BHA-1 on order.  Once it arrives and I get some time with it, I'll post a review comparing the BHA-1 to my current amp, a Woo Audio 6SE with the PS-1000s

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #452 of 3,605
Quote:

That's great to hear as I have a BHA-1 on order.  Once it arrives and I get some time with it, I'll post a review comparing the BHA-1 to my current amp, a Woo Audio 6SE with the PS-1000s

popcorn.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #453 of 3,605
Quote:

Excellent!  I will be curious what you think.  Btw, my initial impressions are through the SE output.  I will be converting my cable to balanced this weekend, so I am looking forward to that.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #454 of 3,605
Guy's, I'm seriously considering buying the PS1000. I already own the HD800, T1, and LCD-2, and I love all 3. Each has it's own unique sound signature. Is there anything sound-wise you would say that the PS-1000 does better than any of those 3? I'm sure it has it's own unique incredible sound.

Thanks

P.S. I just posted this comment in a PS1000 amp thread, I'm sorry, I should have posted it here.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #455 of 3,605
Quote:
Guy's, I'm seriously considering buying the PS1000. I already own the HD800, T1, and LCD-2, and I love all 3. Each has it's own unique sound signature. Is there anything sound-wise you would say that the PS-1000 does better than any of those 3? I'm sure it has it's own unique incredible sound.

Thanks

P.S. I just posted this comment in a PS1000 amp thread, I'm sorry, I should have posted it here.

That's a helluva nice collection, Jacks! 

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #456 of 3,605
I want to give the PS1000 a go against my similar collection (HE6 instead of T1), and my rationale is that its liveliness could give my vinyl sessions that certain "digital-like" edge that I have allegedly grown to prefer.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #457 of 3,605
Quote:

Thanks

im wondering the same thing since i own all 3 of those as well 
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #458 of 3,605
Quote:

I vastly prefer the PS-1000s to the HD800s. I've posted a thread comparing the two here.
You might not prefer one to the other, but, I guarantee* you there will be a difference.
Unfortunately no experience with the others.

Cheers!

*Please observe: (Internet) guarantee

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #459 of 3,605
Quote:

Thanks

I haven't yet heard the HD800 or the LCD2 headphones (yet.)  I have the PS1000 and the T1 and, overall, I prefer the PS1000.  I do like the T1; even though it is bright, it has less crisp highs than the PS1000, and coupled with the nice amp, you can pump a bit more volume into it, creating a really nice sound stage and detail.  The PS1000 certainly doesn't lack sound stage or detail, but it's a different sound.  

Sound sig wise, on my SS amp, the T1 is missing that impactful bass which the PS1000 delivers surprisingly well.  The PS1000 sound just feels "wet", for lack of a better term.  Once you find that volume that doesn't cause fatigue from the "grado" highs, just sit back and enjoy the ride.  A few hours in, you will find yourself completely in tune with the sound that the artists wanted you to hear. EDM, Rock, Metal, R&B, Rap, Pop, Mellow Rock, they all sound alive and fantastic.

IMHO, of course. :wink:

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #460 of 3,605
Thanks lovleylady for the other thread and reply and tacky187 for the reply, it's something I still need to research more about. Hopefully I can go to some audio conventions in the next year or so in order to listen to different equipment, like Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, which I wasn't able to go to this year unfortunately. I'm very much into both headphones and conventional speakers, I think both have their own advantages and disadvantages. I've heard great things about the PS1000, it's a headphone I'm definitely thinking about getting. I'm a pianist and I mainly listen to acoustic music (classical, jazz, etc.) and Rock, R&B, Electronic. The HD800 particularly excels I feel with acoustic music, which is what I prefer the most, compared to the T1 and LCD-2. But I do listen to pretty much all genres of modern music, so I will still consider the PS1000 as my next phone, among other high-end phones. It seems from the comments and reviews that Grado headphones are particularly good with forms of Rock and other bass-heavy music, which is very important to me as well.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #461 of 3,605
Jackskelly, another thing to check out is the PS-500.  It's much cheaper and I've read that when used with the bowl cushions, it sounds really good too.  Then you could at least check out the "Grado sound" without investing too much.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #462 of 3,605
Quote:
Jackskelly, another thing to check out is the PS-500.  It's much cheaper and I've read that when used with the bowl cushions, it sounds really good too.  Then you could at least check out the "Grado sound" without investing too much.

Really, when talking to one who already own three flagship headphones, PS-500 is not going to work.
PS-500 is a headphones that cost 1/3 with 80% of PS-1000 sound.
but to them. They want every bit  of sound quality.

Forget the PS-500, just go PS-1000

I have the HD-800, T1 and PS-1000 ( sold the LCD-2 just because it was too heavy)
i will never go back down to HD-600,, DT-880, PS-500
been there , done that.
( used to have HD-600, DT-770,DT-990, DT-880, RS1i)
you just cant go back!
 it is a curse.!

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #463 of 3,605
Quote:
Really, when talking to one who already own three flagship headphones, PS-500 is not going to work.
PS-500 is a headphones that cost 1/3 with 80% of PS-1000 sound.
but to them. They want every bit  of sound quality.

Forget the PS-500, just go PS-1000

I have the HD-800, T1 and PS-1000 ( sold the LCD-2 just because it was too heavy)
i will never go back down to HD-600,, DT-880, PS-500
been there , done that.
( used to have HD-600, DT-770,DT-990, DT-880, RS1i)
you just cant go back!
 it is a curse.!

lol, I've long feared I would become this way....so far I've been able to continue to appreciate less expensive gear as much as I do the more expensive variety....but I still fear it! 

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #464 of 3,605
Quote:

Thanks

Quote:
im wondering the same thing since i own all 3 of those as well 
biggrin.gif

I have LCD-2 r1, LCD-3 and T1. Not heard HD 800, but I have owned both LCD-2 r2 and PS 1000 in the past. I don't think PS 1000 gives you anything besides a better posture if you use them a lot. If you don't sit upright, those things will be wobbling all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back