PS1000 Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #466 of 3,605
There is nothing to compliment in the PS1000 with the HD800 or the LCD2. These are not polar opposites. The PS1000 improve a couple of things to the level where both the HD800 and the LCD2 in spite of residing in my home, have no use. I can take one or the other and put on my head for a while just for fun but the level of ingerention into the music in the LCD2 or the HD800 places both in a lower class than the PS1000. For these Grado's - the level of a fully upgraded WA6 SE (Sophia mesh and NOS driver tubes, Black Gates and some other fancy capacitors, teflon tube sockets) is where the fun begins and you can go pretty higher, and at these level of quality, assuming the source and signal cables ar up to the task, the scaling factor of the HD800 or the LCD2 leaves both behind the PS1000 enough to become abundant in the collection. Just my humble opinion.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #467 of 3,605
Quote:
There is nothing to compliment with the PS1000 in the HD800 or the LCD2. These are not polar opposites. The PS1000 improve a couple of things to the level where both the HD800 and the LCD2 in spite of residing in my home, have no use. I can take one or the other and put on my head for a while just for fun but the level of ingerention into the music in the LCD2 or the HD800 places both in a lower class than the PS1000. For these Grado's - the level of a fully upgraded WA6 SE (Sophia mesh and NOS driver tubes, Black Gates and some other fancy capacitors, teflon tube sockets) is where the fun begins and you can go pretty higher, and at these level of quality, assuming the source and signal cables ar up to the task, the scaling factor of the HD800 or the LCD2 leaves both behind the PS1000 enough to become abundant in the collection. Just my humble opinion.

blink.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #470 of 3,605
This is one of those rare times that I would disagree with Majkel - maybe because of his Central European sensibilities, he is less impressed with the HD-800 than I am, here in the United States - it definitely has an 'old world' character that I really like, particularly with classical music, that complements the PS-1000's good ole boy up front sound perfectly, for my ears.  Majkel, remember, some of us yankees and new worlders have a nostalgia for our parents' homelands which y'all back there don't have, since you still live there! :)   In other words, like everything regarding our hobby, we bring into this our own personal experiences and likes/dislikes - a very subjective thing indeed!

I also agree with the earlier post that, if you've already got a couple of top of the line cans, let's face it, you're inevitably gonna want the top of the line Grado PS model as well - that's until you start getting into vintage gear, where it may not be top of the line, but no matter - the prices for that stuff really start going crazy (think of the original RS-1 or the HP-2, just as a fer instance!)

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #471 of 3,605
One can have all sorts of nostalgia, but the midrange on the HD800 is still scooped.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #472 of 3,605
There is nothing to compliment with the PS1000 in the HD800 or the LCD2. These are not polar opposites. The PS1000 improve a couple of things to the level where both the HD800 and the LCD2 in spite of residing in my home, have no use. I can take one or the other and put on my head for a while just for fun but the level of ingerention into the music in the LCD2 or the HD800 places both in a lower class than the PS1000. For these Grado's - the level of a fully upgraded WA6 SE (Sophia mesh and NOS driver tubes, Black Gates and some other fancy capacitors, teflon tube sockets) is where the fun begins and you can go pretty higher, and at these level of quality, assuming the source and signal cables ar up to the task, the scaling factor of the HD800 or the LCD2 leaves both behind the PS1000 enough to become abundant in the collection. Just my humble opinion.

:blink:

I believe he meant redundant instead of abundant.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #473 of 3,605
One can have all sorts of nostalgia, but the midrange on the HD800 is still scooped.

In this thread it is for sure :rolleyes:

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #476 of 3,605
PS1000 vs:

HD 800 - PS1000 has slightly less soundstage, more bass, more weight to the images, immerses me more in the performance
LCD 2 - PS1000 has much larger soundstage and much better treble response
T1 - PS1000 has larger soundstage and highs are less sparkly; closest in sound to the PS1000 to me

These are my general impressions, not all of which are based on direct a/b comparisons, but I have owned all three headphones and listened to them each for weeks on end with a large variety of music, multiple amps, and multiple sources.

If you have the above three and are thinking about the PS1000, my guess is that you will just buy it, as I strongly suggest you should.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #477 of 3,605
Thanks everyone for the information and observations. I will probably buy the PS1000 eventually, I will probably wait a few more months though in order to spend more time listening to my other 3 flagship phones before I get the PS1000. I know that the LCD-3 was recently released, which is something I might get farther down the line. The PS1000 and HD800 were both released in 2009, and the T1 in 2010 correct? So maybe in a few years from now a new flagship will be introduced from Sennheiser, Grado and/or Beyerdynamic?

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #478 of 3,605
Because of my positive experience with the Grado sound, I do have more confidence in moving up the gear ladder with them. However, this is probably more of a dream because of my budget. Even if I traded in $1000 worth of gear, I still have $600+ to go! Anyway, when or if the time comes, will these perform fine on my current DAC/Amp combo? I'm assuming yes, but most owners do have high end gear to match. This is just food for thought. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #479 of 3,605
Thanks everyone for the information and observations. I will probably buy the PS1000 eventually, I will probably wait a few more months though in order to spend more time listening to my other 3 flagship phones before I get the PS1000. I know that the LCD-3 was recently released, which is something I might get farther down the line. The PS1000 and HD800 were both released in 2009, and the T1 in 2010 correct? So maybe in a few years from now a new flagship will be introduced from Sennheiser, Grado and/or Beyerdynamic?

I'm with you, the LCD3 and PS1000 are my top two targets but I already have a pretty decent stable of cans that I currently enjoy.

And I'm still waiting for an HD850 (or at least an HD750) :wink_face:

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #480 of 3,605
Living in the UK most of the top end cans I've bought have been on reviews here and auditions on lower end models. Ive gone from SR-125 (auditioned) to RS-1, GS1000 and now PS1000 (The later 3 bought on web review only)

At one time I was considering selling my PS1000 and using the proceeds to buy the LCD-3 once all the issues with veil had passed and Audeze had sorted out the concerns of folks here.

I was very lucky and managed to get a LCD3 pair to demo mail order - and I'm pleased I didn't buy because In retrospect on my rig and to my ears my Stefan Audioart cabled PS1000 comes out top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back