PS1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #1,696 of 3,605
What's the most ideal amp for the PS1000 ?
I used to have the ra1 clone but it wasn't much detailed. Now I have the Leben CS300X.

Very tough question too ask…everyones hearing preferences are different. I prefer my HeadAmp GS-1 with my PS1K's
What may be ideal for me, may not be for you, or anyone else for that matter. I spent quite some time/money before finding an amp that I'm very pleased with for my PS1K's. And by all means, I'm not saying any of the amps I've owned/own were not good enough, I just prefer the GS-1. Also I was interested in finding one for a while after inquiring/reading nothing but positive opinions/reviews about it. I'm sure there are plenty of amps out there that I may prefer over mine, but I'm very satisfied. Not to mention, then it becomes a never ending journey, and will make you forget the reasons we listen too music in the first place, which is too enjoy it. So IMO it is a difficult task to find the right synergy/satisfaction your looking for…or at least it was for me.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #1,697 of 3,605
One of the best amps for Grado headphones I have used is the Trafomatic Head One. Excellent with PS1000, GS1000e and RS1i. I went through several other amps but not too many were nearly as good with Grado headphones.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #1,698 of 3,605
One of the best amps for Grado headphones I have used is the Trafomatic Head One. Excellent with PS1000, GS1000e and RS1i. I went through several other amps but not too many were nearly as good with Grado headphones.

What headphone amps have you tried ?
Just so we know where you're coming from with your conclusion.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #1,699 of 3,605
I have owned the Yamamoto HA-03, Mapletree HD300, Elekit TA882as, Beta22 plus several vintage receivers from Pioneer, Yamaha and Sansui etc. Compared to all those the Trafomatic Head One comes out as my top Grado amp. The Mapletree amp was nice as well as the Pioneer sx737 but the Head One comes out a little ahead for my listening preferences.

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,700 of 3,605
I have owned the Yamamoto HA-03, Mapletree HD300, Elekit TA882as, Beta22 plus several vintage receivers from Pioneer, Yamaha and Sansui etc. Compared to all those the Trafomatic Head One comes out as my top Grado amp. The Mapletree amp was nice as well as the Pioneer sx737 but the Head One comes out a little ahead for my listening preferences.

What about detail retrieval ? Did you find the Trafomatic decent compared to something like the beta 22

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #1,702 of 3,605
  Does anyone have any suggestion for another dac/amp that would be easy to move like the concero?
Also, THe concero doesn't have any noticable latency, Right? I watch movies a lot

I didn't own the CEntrance Hifi-M8 at the same time as my Ps1000, so I cant comment on synergy, but this might be of interest to you for your needs.
it's battery powered, and can be used with your laptop, an iphone or android phone.

BTW, I like that the Grado Ra-1 is battery powered, but it really doesn't do the Ps1k justice.

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #1,703 of 3,605
Seems interesting. It's not charged from the USB, But from a wall outlet, Right? Can it be charged while it's used as a usb dac/amp?
I am a little skeptic about the devices which are powered by batteries. If i want to be sure the battery will last i'll have to connect not only the USB to the laptop, But the charging cable to the wall. Seems a bit annoying

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #1,704 of 3,605
I see you have the concero too. What do you think of its synergy with the PS1000/PS1000e?
I am also intrigued by the Chord Hugo. It's expensive but seems amazing (Maybe it's only the design? :p)
Can someone compare the two?

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #1,705 of 3,605
  Seems interesting. It's not charged from the USB, But from a wall outlet, Right? Can it be charged while it's used as a usb dac/amp?
I am a little skeptic about the devices which are powered by batteries. If i want to be sure the battery will last i'll have to connect not only the USB to the laptop, But the charging cable to the wall. Seems a bit annoying

correct.

I see you have the concero too. What do you think of its synergy with the PS1000/PS1000e?

I'd recommend it. I don't think you could do much better for the sound you get out of it and portability, unless something like a Chord Hugo, I imagine since I have not tried it.

There's a couple on Audiogon, I believe. One's going for $600 IIRC

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,706 of 3,605
Still i am intrigued by the Hugo, Even though it pretty expensive. Have anyone tried it with the PS1000? But again, It runs of a battery, So i don't know.
A dac/amp like the concero that runs off usb power seems like the best solution. Are there any other good dac/amps that run off usb power?

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,709 of 3,605
What about detail retrieval ? Did you find the Trafomatic decent compared to something like the beta 22

Oh yes the Trafomatic is very detailed but with more realistic tonal color and saturation than the Beta22. Those russian tubes are very good sounding and the amp is extraordinarily quiet and free of background noise. Has an exciting character without becoming fatiguing. Nice dimensionality and air to the sound. It's very nice to listen and keeps the bass under control on the PS1000.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,710 of 3,605
Do you think a wooaudio amp would be good with the PS1000e? I read a thread where many people recommended the WA6SE with the PS1000.
It won't be portable though, And i'll need to get a seperate DAC.
By the way the PS1000e are amazing, But i find that sometimes it maybe has too much decay or something, That the sound is not "tight enough" maybe.
Maybe too thick? I don't know how to exactly define it. Let me know if you know what i mean.
Also is there a pretty portable tube amp out there? 
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back