PS1000 Impressions Thread
May 18, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #871 of 3,605
Congrats on your purchase Joseph! Looking forward to your impressions - I'm really interested in your thoughts once you've had a chance to compare the two amps for a while.

Glad I could provide some opinions and hope the SE delivers for you.

Make sure you check the tube list on Woo's site for the SE. The vast majority of what you have will work, but a few that are compatible with the 6 can't be used in the SE.

Thank you!
[size=x-small]I was looking at the tube chart, and the way I see it, I could use every tube I have[/size]…[size=x-small] but the 6SN7 from what I understand from the chart says the WA6 (needs) an adapter (which I have), and the S/E (doesn't) need the adapter. I asked Jack about this and he said the 6SN7 should NOT be used with the S/E (which is a favorite of mine), so I'm really not sure if I can use it, because the chart says I can (without) the adapter, and Jack says no. Do you use the 6SN7' in your S/E, or anyone for that matter?[/size]

The 6SN7 is, unfortunately, not compatible with the SE. I don't remember reading about anyone who tried them in the SE and I got the same response from Jack that you did so I won't be.

I'm really interested to see if you like the same tube combos in the SE or if you find new tube pairings you like with the new amp.

Hopefully the wait for delivery isn't too long.

May 18, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #872 of 3,605
The 6SN7 is, unfortunately, not compatible with the SE. I don't remember reading about anyone who tried them in the SE and I got the same response from Jack that you did so I won't be.

I'm really interested to see if you like the same tube combos in the SE or if you find new tube pairings you like with the new amp.

Hopefully the wait for delivery isn't too long.

OK, so the 6SN7' are out of the picture then. I'll keep you posted on which tube combos I like with the S/E. As far as delivery, Jack didn't mention anything nor did I ask. I know I mentioned I was going to sell it, but I may not even do that, I just may move it over to my desktop if no one replies to my post. Keep you posted, thanks for the info!

May 18, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #873 of 3,605
At the risk of turning this into a WA6SE thread... I find RCA 6DR7 to be a fantastic output tube for the PS1000. When I get carried away with the volume control there is still a sense of ease yet immediacy/aliveness which is I think what you were looking for from the WA6. On overly bright recordings I switch to the GE 6DR7 to tame the treble. There is also more midrange bloom to the 6DR7 than the 6FD7(which I prefer if I'm rocknrolln).

May 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #874 of 3,605
  At the risk of turning this into a WA6SE thread... I find RCA 6DR7 to be a fantastic output tube for the PS1000. When I get carried away with the volume control there is still a sense of ease yet immediacy/aliveness which is I think what you were looking for from the WA6. On overly bright recordings I switch to the GE 6DR7 to tame the treble. There is also more midrange bloom to the 6DR7 than the 6FD7(which I prefer if I'm rocknrolln).

I never tried the 6DR7, but I don't have an issue with the treble either…but if it brings the mid-range out more, that all great with me, I'm a mid-range freak! Thanks for letting me know, this will be my next tube purchase.

May 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #875 of 3,605
Well...a few months back a buddy dropped by with his pair of PS1000s and to my surprise (after hearing them several times in various settings over the years and not really loving them) I actually really liked 'em on my home setup (Bryston BDA-2 --> GS-X MK2). More so than my RS1i, (my next favourite Grado headphone). So I picked up Jay's pair of PS1000s.

Actually, Jay shipped them out within like 1 hour of payment. He wins for fastest shipping ever! 
smile.gif

I guess the RS1i's go up for sale...kinda sad to see them go, but I think one Grado headphone is just fine for me. 

May 20, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #876 of 3,605
  Well...a few months back a buddy dropped by with his pair of PS1000s and to my surprise (after hearing them several times in various settings over the years and not really loving them) I actually really liked 'em on my home setup (Bryston BDA-2 --> GS-X MK2). More so than my RS1i, (my next favourite Grado headphone). So I picked up Jay's pair of PS1000s.

Actually, Jay shipped them out within like 1 hour of payment. He wins for fastest shipping ever! 
smile.gif

I guess the RS1i's go up for sale...kinda sad to see them go, but I think one Grado headphone is just fine for me. 

ok out of all persons that would say something like this, you?!!?  this proves my point!!! i wasn't crazy!@#@?!!@#?#

first time i heard PS1000's, they where actually really good, like I was blown away by their liveliness, huge fun bass that was still organic and very grado-esque, great detail and just that grado midrange, but with much bigger sound than the smaller more closed in grados. i actually preferred them when compared to hd 800

However, when i bought my pair as you probably remember, they sounded like total garbage, horribly bright, first headphone that was actually bad enough to cause ringing due to the treble fatigue, and even the thickest tubes on the well regarded WA6-SE couldn't tame it, i ended up having to return them, and well, ended up not liking them at all, the RS1i i used to have where incredible though, so true to the grado sound, very fun headphones.

maybe one day, i'll decide to hunt out a good pair of ps1000 again

May 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #877 of 3,605

ok out of all persons that would say something like this, you?!!?  this proves my point!!! i wasn't crazy!@#@?!!@#?#

first time i heard PS1000's, they where actually really good, like I was blown away by their liveliness, huge fun bass that was still organic and very grado-esque, great detail and just that grado midrange, but with much bigger sound than the smaller more closed in grados. i actually preferred them when compared to hd 800

However, when i bought my pair as you probably remember, they sounded like total garbage, horribly bright, first headphone that was actually bad enough to cause ringing due to the treble fatigue, and even the thickest tubes on the well regarded WA6-SE couldn't tame it, i ended up having to return them, and well, ended up not liking them at all, the RS1i i used to have where incredible though, so true to the grado sound, very fun headphones.

I thought I was a bit crazy when I had them here for a few hours on my rig....but I really liked them. Not LCD-X/HD800 level, but still very good with the rock/metal that I mostly listen too. 

May 20, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #878 of 3,605

I thought I was a bit crazy when I had them here for a few hours on my rig....but I really liked them. Not LCD-X/HD800 level, but still very good with the rock/metal that I mostly listen too. 

ah ok, yeah that seems to be what Grado is all about, I'm not sure what their real mission there is, but thats definitely how I do my Grado 
beerchug.gif

May 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #880 of 3,605

smile.gif

one of the reasons i sold the ps1000, is because of the rs1i, i didn't want to sell it, i've had it longer than any other piece in my system, and i still have the gs1k, and its not too shabby
i'm glad i was able to help, its kinda nice to know that the headphones are going to someone who has helped me in the past, i got the ps500 from MH, and also he's given my great advice on the two amps i have now, the mad ear+ hd, and the bryston bha-1, i bet i hold on to these two amps for a very long time !

i can't always get things shipped so fast, but i still and the outer box i received the ps1k in , so print a label, taped up the box, and off she went !

May 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #881 of 3,605

one of the reasons i sold the ps1000, is because of the rs1i, i didn't want to sell it, i've had it longer than any other piece in my system, and i still have the gs1k, and its not too shabby
i'm glad i was able to help, its kinda nice to know that the headphones are going to someone who has helped me in the past, i got the ps500 from MH, and also he's given my great advice on the two amps i have now, the mad ear+ hd, and the bryston bha-1, i bet i hold on to these two amps for a very long time !

i can't always get things shipped so fast, but i still and the outer box i received the ps1k in , so print a label, taped up the box, and off she went !

The Ear+HD is truly a wonder of a Grado amp...if I only had more room on my rack/desktop, I'd seriously look into re-buying it. Thanks again Jay!

May 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #882 of 3,605

The Ear+HD is truly a wonder of a Grado amp...if I only had more room on my rack/desktop, I'd seriously look into re-buying it. Thanks again Jay!

yes it is, but its just a great amp period, the lcd x, and the alpha dog both sound great with it,

May 20, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #884 of 3,605

smile.gif

Congratulations on the PS1K's!
I have both the RS/PS, and I think they compliment each other very well.
I've been listening to my PS's for almost a month straight now exclusively since I got them… today I listened to the RS's, and have too say its very hard for me too take either of them off my head. I enjoy there differences equally, too me they are both unique in their own ways.

May 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #885 of 3,605

While I was waiting for my PS1K's to arrive, I read the entire PS1K Thread to get some impressions from others because I wasn't too sure I was going to like them being I didn't like the GS1Ki's due too the recessed mid-range, but love my RS1i's. Too my surprise I really enjoyed the sound initially, so that told me I would appreciate them even more as they burn-in, and I definitely do! The main thing that I couldn't get out of my head was how you had said the first time you heard them you really liked them, but when you owned them you hated them because of the treble, so I was a bit concerned about this. Anyway upon receiving my PS1K's in no way shape or form were they harsh in the highs what so ever, so I thought to myself maybe she (you) just got a bad pair, and was actually going to contact you and tell you that you probably did get a bad pair if the highs were unbearable…because they are extremely smooth (at least the pair I got), and sound fantastic (after burning-in of course), so maybe you should give them another try.
PS: I am using the WA6 withe the 596/6SN7's…I know you don't like the 6SN7's, but my point is I'm using pretty much the same sounding amp as you did (I assume, but will know when I receive my 6-S/E) so give them another try some day, because if the pair you tried were nice sounding too you, the pair you had were either no good, or maybe needed more burn-in time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back