PS1000 Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,471 of 3,605
  1st time I've heard of the frankenstein Grados.  Could someone fill me in?  Or has this been disgussed already in this thread?

I received a GS1Ke with a cable terminated in 1/8"…it should have been 1/4".
But Grado did immediately offer to change the cable for me at no charge with no hesitation, but the GSe just wasn't for me.

I'm a believer in headphones burn in, but I also believe in what I call, brain burn in. I have owned my PS1000 since 2010, so not only are they burned in, but my brain has gotten used to them, and I now percieve their sound as, ''the right sound''. This makes it hard for me to stay 100% objective when I listen to some new headphones.

To be honest, Macedonian Hero's objective and informative comments about the PS1000e, are some of the reasons why I want to give the PS1000e another try.

Don't worry Joseph, I'll keep you posted. Last night my cousin called to inform me that my aunt died, so I think you'll agree that I have to keep my prioritys in order here, so tomorrow I'm going to go to my audio store, and if I have time, I'll try and swing by the funeral home.

Sorry for your loss.
I agree with you about the brain burn-in also…and wanting to give the (e) another go, being you immediately liked what you heard, I  know initially if I like what I hear also, and from their it only gets better after burn-in and you becoming used to the sound.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,472 of 3,605
  Thanks.  I ordered a set of Es which should be here in a week or so.  What should I look for as a proper P1000E when it arrives?
Thanks.
Kevin

Congratulations!
Chrome cups/black leather headband/1/4" termination, and I'm not sure (may depend on how long they've been in stock) but I think Grado may have stopped with the "red" on the backs of the drivers??? But they are still the (e) series drivers.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #1,473 of 3,605
  Congratulations!
Chrome cups/black leather headband/1/4" termination, and I'm not sure (may depend on how long they've been in stock) but I think Grado may have stopped with the "red" on the backs of the drivers??? But they are still the (e) series drivers.

Thanks Joseph69.  I have some 325i for quite a few years, and had a chance to move up to the 1ke.  Curious, what did you find lacking in the G1Ks?

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,474 of 3,605

Thanks Joseph69.  I have some 325i for quite a few years, and had a chance to move up to the 1ke.  Curious, what did you find lacking in the G1Ks?

Its not that I found them lacking, but with the (i) model I didn't care for the recessed mid-range, and the (e) model I just didn't care for it overall sound-signature, It wasn't anything particular, I just didn't care for either GS models.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #1,475 of 3,605
Is anyone using an aftermarket headband for the PS1K? The stock headband is rubbing a bit too much. I know of http://turbulentlabs.com/leather-manta-headbands/ but I think I might want a bit more cushion.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,478 of 3,605
  Too bad J$ (jMoney) doesn't make 'em any more. They're Grrrreat!

I haven't put it on my Ps1k though, I rather keep it stock 

That is exactly what I want.. bummer! The turbulent labs appear to be less padded but at least thicker than the stock. I feel like I am going to get traction alopecia wearing the PS1k on a daily basis

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #1,479 of 3,605

I'm not sure if I said this already, but these are some serious looking HP's!

Ha! I bought them mainly because of the Aluminum cups and the J Money headband, but they ended up sounding VERY good! These are Sr225i by the way. They have the bass impact like the ps1000!

That is exactly what I want.. bummer! The turbulent labs appear to be less padded but at least thicker than the stock. I feel like I am going to get traction alopecia wearing the PS1k on a daily basis

The turbulent labs one  was good, as far as I remember, but these are nicer! they're also very wide.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #1,480 of 3,605
Someone has to sell a better option than turbulent. Not that the Turbulents are bad, I just prefer something a bit wider with a bit more cushion

Does anyone know how these compare? http://www.martincustomaudio.com/p/leather-headbands.html

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #1,481 of 3,605
The PS1000s that I bought from a head-fier came with the Turbulent Labs headband.  I would have chosen stock, but I actually like both the look and the comfort that the Turbulent Labs brown headband offers.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #1,482 of 3,605
  Curious to know which set up you will eventually reach for more..let us know.
beerchug.gif

Two weeks ago, I moved my Sennheiser HD 800 and HDVD 800 to co-exist at my favorite listening chair with my Grado PS1000s and HPA-1.  The idea was to see which I listened to more when both were in the same setting and hence, equally convenient.

The results are in... I listen to the PS1000 / HPA-1 more... about 2/3 to 3/4 of the time.  I think it is a combination of the better transparency and the colorful nature of the Grados that make me reach for them more.

So the Sennheiser headphone and amp have returned to my office listening spot...

and my chair is back to the PS1000s only.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,483 of 3,605
  Two weeks ago, I moved my Sennheiser HD 800 and HDVD 800 to co-exist at my favorite listening chair with my Grado PS1000s and HPA-1.  The idea was to see which I listened to more when both were in the same setting and hence, equally convenient.

The results are in... I listen to the PS1000 / HPA-1 more... about 2/3 to 3/4 of the time.  I think it is a combination of the better transparency and the colorful nature of the Grados that make me reach for them more.

So the Sennheiser headphone and amp have returned to my office listening spot...

and my chair is back to the PS1000s only.

I seem to reach for my PS1K/GS-1 more than the RS1i/WA6, but try to listen to each for a week at a time, but it hasn't been equal lately! 

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #1,484 of 3,605
  The PS1000s that I bought from a head-fier came with the Turbulent Labs headband.  I would have chosen stock, but I actually like both the look and the comfort that the Turbulent Labs brown headband offers.[

Which brown is that? Saddle or Coffee? 

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #1,485 of 3,605

I have been doing the same for the last week plus and the edge is definitely in PS1000s favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back