PS1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,351 of 3,605
Congrats to me! Just bought a balanced PS1000 from this nice guy for 850$! (Not including shipping and paypal fees): http://www.head-fi.org/t/742998/grado-ps-1000-balanced#post_11171557

I am so happy! :L3000:  (Yet i need to return the loan from the bank.. I love and hate this hobby so much. Actually i am a professional musician so this is much more than a hobby. Music is my life-And grado gives life to music!) 

CONGRATULATIONS!!

You will be so pleased. They have changed my whole listening habits. When I'm not listening to them, I am thinking about listening to them. And to those who say they are heavy, I retort, "Pshaw!" I have never noticed their weight. I will admit that I always sit to wear them... I don't use them for around-the-house working, and more often than not, I ONLY listen with them... No multitasking like PC pecking, TV watching, or (even) head-fi.org reading at the same time.

Oh, and Gus, to pay back your loan? Simply sell your manuscript of Herzog Ernst Von Schwaben, which you wrote when your brother died but no one can find these days. I bet you could even get an amp, too, with what you can sell it for.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,352 of 3,605
Wow, Thanks! Don't get my expectations too high :) (I've heard them already though, But like a month ago...)
Actually the PS1000 sounds better than the vienna philhamonic i conducted!
Does anyone have a balanced PS1000 with a fully balanced setup and can post his impressions?

(I still remember listening to the first solo of the 2nd part of my 8th with the PS1000-It was so breathtaking and moving. The PS1000 is the best orchestra in the world, No doubt!)
Also-Which balanced amps and dacs should i consider? (I don't have the money yet of course..)

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,353 of 3,605
  Wow, Thanks! Don't get my expectations too high :) (I've heard them already though, But like a month ago...)
Actually the PS1000 sounds better than the vienna philhamonic i conducted!
Does anyone have a balanced PS1000 with a fully balanced setup and can post his impressions?

(I still remember listening to the first solo of the 2nd part of my 8th with the PS1000-It was so breathtaking and moving. The PS1000 is the best orchestra in the world, No doubt!)

You probably have one of the few balanced PS1000 around these parts  
smile.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #1,355 of 3,605
Yeah, I am special!
Are they comfortable for movie watching and gaming?

No clue. Try them out, and see whether you like them. Everything is super duper subjective when it comes to headphones!

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #1,356 of 3,605
Yeah, I am special!
Are they comfortable for movie watching and gaming?

I'd say so.

Not sure how "old" yours are, but mine slip a bit, because the cups are too heavy for the rodblocks.

That's probably going to be the only possible problem.

Regarding your question for a balanced headphone amplifier: i'm looking into getting a Schiit ragnarok. More feasible if you're in the States, but it seems like a great device :)

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #1,357 of 3,605
  No doubt about that. The ending is beyond life. 
But making a statement that it is greater than another symphony, The sixth or the eighth and ninth for example is useless.
I've been to a performance of the 2nd with Mehta and the Israel philharmonic and i almost exploded from within in the ending!

O believe, my heart, O believe:

Nothing to you is lost!

Yours is, yes yours, is what you desired

Yours, what you have loved

What you have fought for!

O believe,

You were not born for nothing!

Have not for nothing, lived, suffered!

What was created

Must perish,

What perished, rise again!

Cease from trembling!

Prepare yourself to live!

O Pain, You piercer of all things,

From you, I have been wrested!

O Death, You masterer of all things,

Now, are you conquered!

With wings which I have won for myself,

In love’s fierce striving,

I shall soar upwards

To the light which no eye has penetrated!

Die shall I in order to live.

Rise again, yes, rise again,

Will you, my heart, in an instant!

That for which you suffered,

To God will it lead you!

Sorry to say this so late, but if you've heard Meta present Mahler 2, then I do not know what to say. I cannot imagine a greater live experience in this day and age. I make it a point to rarely be jealous, as this life I have is worth so much, but to hear Meta conducting, let alone Mahler 2, well I am young, but wow.

edit: By the way, here is a youtube of a higher quality recording of the ending of Mahler 2. Very much worth a listen for all of you, regardless of what genre of music you love. This is an existential work of art, that truly moves one. If there is one thing I want to win an audition for in the future, it is the chance to play this one last time. It may be a decade or 2 before I'm willing to give up my life to audition for a major symphony, but I think I will, one day, no matter what.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #1,358 of 3,605
Yes, It was an amazing experience, Especially the ending. The only (huge) problem is that i hate the acoustics of the Tel Aviv concert hall. You get a much too soft sound, And it kind of ruins the agressive moments in Mahler's symphonies.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #1,359 of 3,605
Well listen to the ending of the Solti recording :) I'm a violinist, and when we played it, we took it on the slow slide, so hearing Solti take the, well, not sure what to call it. I could sing it to you, but the last few bars of introduction to the true ending, before the organ comes in, he just rushes the piss out of that, and it's just so ******* glorious. I hope that ends up appropriately edited out. The solti recording truly is the best, and I've searched long and hard for better recordings. What really matters though, is the ending. It is a statement of humanity, in a sense that none other has achieved. You hear passion, you hear logic, you hear individuals, you hear a whole. All throughout, the entire experience feels free to be. I could not compliment a recording further.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #1,361 of 3,605
Problem solved very simply, I don't understand why owners of the PPS1K's don't do this?
I've had to have said/posted this 5+ times. :smile:

I've ordered a few of these 3 weeks ago, after a long time of searching online.
Nothing is easy if you're in europe...
Haven't arrived yet...

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #1,364 of 3,605
The previous owner of my ps1000 put a piece of tape around where it slides and i think it solves the problem. You cansee this in the photos of the classified i've posted before

Tape on a $1700.00 HP???
They deserve better than that! 
Chrome shaft collars are under $4.00…for 2 sets (4-pack) of them with allen wrench/set screws included. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back