PS1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #2,626 of 3,605
  I bought the LCD-X a while ago, and when I heard them I couldn't believe what they sounded like…and their price tag. These went back immediately! While I had them I contacted Justin at Head Amp because he had an LCD 2 pre fazor which I wanted to hear, and when they arrived I refused the delivery because I didn't even want to hear them, and this way Justin wouldn't have an "open box" item which he would lose money on. I feel exactly the same way about Audeze.

+1  Had the Audeze LCD2.2 about 3 or 4 years ago & sold them (at a loss) within a coule of days.  I kept switching between the Audeze and the HD650 and couldn't believe the price difference.  Overall I preferred the HD650 which I still own.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #2,627 of 3,605
  +1  Had the Audeze LCD2.2 about 3 or 4 years ago & sold them (at a loss) within a coule of days.  I kept switching between the Audeze and the HD650 and couldn't believe the price difference.  Overall I preferred the HD650 which I still own.

I can totally understand why.
To be honest, I was actually speechless when I heard the Audeze LCD-X.
I understand everyone has their preferences but...

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #2,628 of 3,605
Has anyone tried using alternate earpads with the PS1000s? I find the stock pads to be uncomfortable for long term listening as they don't provide much support. I'd also like to try an earpad that seals a little better than the Grado pads.

Was thinking of buying a set of the Audeze leather pads and having them professionally altered to fit the PS1000s. Anyone try this yet? Any thoughts?

I listen primarily to my LCD3fs (gasp - sorry Joseph et al:)) but would spend more head time with the Grados if I could make them more comfortable. I also wonder if a better seal would improve the sub bass a little. Wouldn't expect planar level sub bass but would like to see if I can bring it up a bit and closer to the excellent mid bass of the PS1000.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #2,629 of 3,605
Has anyone tried using alternate earpads with the PS1000s? I find the stock pads to be uncomfortable for long term listening as they don't provide much support. I'd also like to try an earpad that seals a little better than the Grado pads.

Was thinking of buying a set of the Audeze leather pads and having them professionally altered to fit the PS1000s. Anyone try this yet? Any thoughts?

I listen primarily to my LCD3fs (gasp - sorry Joseph et al:)) but would spend more head time with the Grados if I could make them more comfortable. I also wonder if a better seal would improve the sub bass a little. Wouldn't expect planar level sub bass but would like to see if I can bring it up a bit and closer to the excellent mid bass of the PS1000.

Sorry, no insult, the Audeze are just not for me. 
smile.gif

I tried the EZ Vinyl Pads on my 325is just to hear how they sounded, because I have no issue listening to any of my Grado for hours and hours. They made the 325is sound so bad it was a shame that EZ was allowed to advertise "for Grado headphones". I put them on for about 30 seconds and then sent them to another H-F member who had the same exact impressions as me. So I don't know how well a vinyl/leather pad would do with the PS1K. I believe Grados sound the way they do because of their pads not suffocating their mid/high frequencies with the low frequencies…which in short is what happened when I used the EZ vinyl pads on the 325is. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #2,630 of 3,605

Sorry, no insult, the Audeze are just not for me. 
smile.gif

I tried the EZ Vinyl Pads on my 325is just to hear how they sounded, because I have no issue listening to any of my Grado for hours and hours. They made the 325is sound so bad it was a shame that EZ was allowed to advertise "for Grado headphones". I put them on for about 30 seconds and then sent them to another H-F member who had the same exact impressions as me. So I don't know how well a vinyl/leather pad would do with the PS1K. I believe Grados sound the way they do because of their pads not suffocating their mid/high frequencies with the low frequencies…which in short is what happened when I used the EZ vinyl pads on the 325is. 

Thanks for the feedback - was just kidding around about your dislike for the Audeze's. They have a very different sound signature from Grado. I'd be curious what you would have thought if you had given them a week to get used to the sound, but perhaps your first reaction wouldn't have changed. I find the LCD3s and the PS1000s quite different and complimentary but as we frequently say around here, it's all about personal taste, not right and wrong when it comes to preference.

I may go ahead and try the LCD pads altered to fit the PS1000s out of sheer curiosity. It may well not work, but I'd really like to find something more personally comfortable. I'll post thoughts if I do.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2,631 of 3,605
Thanks for the feedback - was just kidding around about your dislike for the Audeze's. They have a very different sound signature from Grado. I'd be curious what you would have thought if you had given them a week to get used to the sound, but perhaps your first reaction wouldn't have changed. I find the LCD3s and the PS1000s quite different and complimentary but as we frequently say around here, it's all about personal taste, not right and wrong when it comes to preference.

I may go ahead and try the LCD pads altered to fit the PS1000s out of sheer curiosity. It may well not work, but I'd really like to find something more personally comfortable. I'll post thoughts if I do.

I had the LCD-X for about a week, but I couldn't listen to it.
If you do go ahead with your plan to try the Audeze pads on the PS1K definitely post your impressions, I would like to hear what you think.
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #2,632 of 3,605

beerchug.gif

I tried the (G) cushions with both my 325is/RS1i and it was a no go for me almost immediately.
I've been switching between my PS1Ke/GH-1wG/RS1i the past week, and the one that surprises me the most is the GH-1wG which I have on right now.

I'm not surprised.                                                                                                                    

I'm liking the GH-1/G more and more, I guess it's a combination of headphones, and brain burn in.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #2,633 of 3,605
Thanks for the writeup. I have the GS1000e and the PS1000e headphones with the large cups. I dont have any issues with comfort.

Also, what do you mean when you mention about booster cables? I dont find any issue with Grados cables. If anything, i would rather have more conductors in my cable than less which is what the e series is all about.

I call them booster cables, because of their size.

I have a hard time believing that small 2'' speakers need 12 conductors cables. They started with 4, then 8, and now 12.

In my car, I have a 12'' Boston Acoustics subwoofer, driven by a 700 watts Alpine class D amp, and Grado's 12 conductors cables are bigger than my 12 gauge Phoenix Gold speaker cables. Grado's cable looks about the same size as my 8 gauge Stigner power cable. I just remembered that I have a pic, it's the red cable, see for yourself.

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #2,634 of 3,605
I have a Astell & Kern AK240 DAP and i use Grado PS1000 headphones at home and sound brilliant together. However they are not practical  for going out and about so i've just ordered the GR10E hoping i will get some similar sort of sound but in IEM's. Will i be disappointed ? 

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #2,635 of 3,605
  I have a Astell & Kern AK240 DAP and i use Grado PS1000 headphones at home and sound brilliant together. However they are not practical  for going out and about so i've just ordered the GR10E hoping i will get some similar sort of sound but in IEM's. Will i be disappointed ? 

I don't think so.  I had the GR10 and they gave me a Grado-like signature.  But I don't know about the 10Es.  I found the original 10s fragile, expensive and non-enduring.  I spent close to can$400.00 on them and they didn't last very long and had no option for replacing the cord. 
I believ @CH23 has a pair and maybe he'll chime in at some time.  But, I'd be reluctant to spend the money again.

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #2,636 of 3,605
I just got the Grado GR10e for Christmas and have been listening to them.  They are unique in that they are "moving armature" like the Grado phono cartridges, and instead of having multiple transducers for multiple frequencies (as does the AKG 3003, Shure SE535 and SE846), they use one dynamic transducer, carefully tuned (as does the Sennheiser IE800);  People who have compared them say that the GR10e is clearly better than the GR10 and the GR8e.

I'm sorry, but I have not yet compared them to my PS1000s for similarity of sound.  I have compared them to my AKG K3003i and found the AKG K3003i far superior (as you might expect since they cost twice as much!).  However, for $400 IEMs, I think the GR10e are very good... excellent at sound isolation, great low frequency response (especially if you wear them with the wires going up over your ears and behind your head... gives better bass seal) and their no-fuss way of just coiling the cord and dropping them into the (Grado) zippered case, which you must get separately.  The small size of the ear buds mean that they fit WAYYY into your ears and allow lying in bed on your side, ear on the pillow, without any discomfort.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #2,637 of 3,605
I've been using the GR10E for a couple of days now and they are quite revealing, however there is hardly any bass. I have swopped the medium buds for the large ones and that has helped a little but they are still bass shy. I then swopped the large ones for  some old Sony ones and again got a little more, i hope this is a running in period and things will get better. Sorry, i know this is a PS1000 thread and i have been on the GR10 thread but there isn't much activity been going on there for a long time.

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #2,638 of 3,605
Just figured I'd check in with some more impressions about my PS1Ke as they burn-in.
I now have 60hrs+/- on my PS1Ke and these just keep getting more rich/full bodied and the sound just continues to open with nice clarity/detail/depth/separation and overall musicality. Absolutely no complaints here, and these aren't even close in any way to their full potential. I am enjoying these HP's immensely! In all other aspects I preferred the (e) series when I first heard them to the PS1K with the exception of the richness/fullness of the mid-range the PS1K has, and I was a bit concerned about the mid-range being a bit thin on the (e) series, but the mid-range is coming on stronger and stronger (or should I say warmer and fuller) with more and more use without having the mid-bass hump of the PS1K, leaving the (e) series having nothing but fine bass control/detail/clarity in the lower mid-range. 
L3000.gif

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #2,639 of 3,605
Just figured I'd check in with some more impressions about my PS1Ke as they burn-in.
I now have 60hrs+/- on my PS1Ke and these just keep getting more rich/full bodied and the sound just continues to open with nice clarity/detail/depth/separation and overall musicality. Absolutely no complaints here, and these aren't even close in any way to their full potential. I am enjoying these HP's immensely! In all other aspects I preferred the (e) series when I first heard them to the PS1K with the exception of the richness/fullness of the mid-range the PS1K has, and I was a bit concerned about the mid-range being a bit thin on the (e) series, but the mid-range is coming on stronger and stronger (or should I say warmer and fuller) with more and more use without having the mid-bass hump of the PS1K, leaving the (e) series having nothing but fine bass control/detail/clarity in the lower mid-range. 
:L3000:

As I watch you grow into your PS1000es, and as I age my GS1000es, which continue to improve even after 180 hours of use, and as I observe the differences of opinion on the RS1e, I begin to think that all of these, the headphones that have the new 50mm driver, should not be given up upon until they have had so much use as to stop improving with burnin, well over 200 hours!

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #2,640 of 3,605
As I watch you grow into your PS1000es, and as I age my GS1000es, which continue to improve even after 180 hours of use, and as I observe the differences of opinion on the RS1e, I begin to think that all of these, the headphones that have the new 50mm driver, should not be given up upon until they have had so much use as to stop improving with burnin, well over 200 hours!

I totally agree with 150-200+hrs of burn-in.
I have a slight flu right now and I just couldn't stop listening to the PS1Ke last night until after 1:00am…and I started at 9:00pm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back