PS1000 Impressions Thread
May 15, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #1,951 of 3,605
Damn the PS1000 were sold for 1000$ when they were being discontinued , and if they are better than the PS1000e , then they were an amazing deal.
But ,i don't understand how is it possible for the PS1000e to be worst then the PS1000, why would a company replace a good product with a newer and worst version, especially considering the new and bigger drivers, that should sound much better

May 15, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #1,952 of 3,605
some think the ps1000e is better, some don't, just a matter of taste

May 15, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,953 of 3,605
Ahhhhh... 

A fellow Giant Sand fan...

I suspect our entire and respective CD/FLAC/MP3 collections would be hugely complimentary based on that fact alone.

Love Giant Sand ... such a rad, ever changing collaborative effort. 

I have:

Is All Over the Map
Provisions
Blurry Blue Mountain
Stromausfall
The Love Songs ...

But not Heartbreak Pass.

I shall have to remedy this.

:beerchug:  

Listening to "Blurry Blue Montain" right now, the story of my hometown, Tucson....really missed it last winter.

May 15, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,954 of 3,605
  Damn the PS1000 were sold for 1000$ when they were being discontinued , and if they are better than the PS1000e , then they were an amazing deal.
But ,i don't understand how is it possible for the PS1000e to be worst then the PS1000, why would a company replace a good product with a newer and worst version, especially considering the new and bigger drivers, that should sound much better

As a person who spent many a tormented hour comparing the PS1000 and PS1000e (really, I lost sleep and nearly got fired from my job because of it), I can tell you that they are obviously from the same Grado pedigree ... but at the same time, rather different in what they focus on.

The original PS1000 has a quite noticeably colored, affected quality, almost like a "built in" EQ setting with the bands set to a "U shape" ... a definite emphasis on the highs and also a spike in bass; the midrange on both are about the same if you ask me, typical rich and forward Grado midrange (unlike the more recessed GS1000 midrange).

The newer PS1000e takes that above mentioned "U shaped" eq setting and flattens it out. The PS1000e is far more neutral and "flat" sounding than the more colored, more affected PS1000. Certain folks will prefer one over the other. Myself? I ended up preferring the more lively, energetic PS1000 over the PS1000e.

I've read many times here and other places that the PS1000e, supposedly has better sub bass but I didn't hear it with my particular pair of PS1000e's .. in fact, I found the bass to be almost "sucked out" with the "e" version; I've very near ordered another pair of the PS1000e's, on more than one occasion, just to see if perhaps I had a weird pair cause the bass was almost anemic compared to the PS1000's ...

Fans of neutrality will definitely prefer the PS1000e as they really are rather clinically "flat" to my ear (or were) ...

I may still order a new pair of PS1000e's ... just to put to rest some questions I still have about comparing the two ... and I'll post some thoughts here if I should ...

May 15, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #1,955 of 3,605
Listening to "Blurry Blue Montain" right now, the story of my hometown, Tucson....really missed it last winter.

Love Blurry Blue Mountain ...

The PS1000's work so great with Howe Gelb's textured vocals ... 

Just a great vocal headphone all around, if you ask me .. .but with stuff like Giant Sand, where the vocalist is so pointedly right up against the mic (listen to "fields of green") and has such breathy dynamics in his/her style ... the PS1000's are freaky good.

May 15, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #1,956 of 3,605

Don't worry, the PS1000e are the better headphones. If you want a more "U" presentation with bass that isn't as deep (and with a tad more distortion) and treble that's a bit more sizzly, then I guess you need to search out a used pair of PS1000s. 
wink.gif

May 15, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,957 of 3,605

As a person who spent many a tormented hour comparing the PS1000 and PS1000e (really, I lost sleep and nearly got fired from my job because of it), I can tell you that they are obviously from the same Grado pedigree ... but at the same time, rather different in what they focus on.

The original PS1000 has a quite noticeably colored, affected quality, almost like a "built in" EQ setting with the bands set to a "U shape" ... a definite emphasis on the highs and also a spike in bass; the midrange on both are about the same if you ask me, typical rich and forward Grado midrange (unlike the more recessed GS1000 midrange).

The newer PS1000e takes that above mentioned "U shaped" eq setting and flattens it out. The PS1000e is far more neutral and "flat" sounding than the more colored, more affected PS1000. Certain folks will prefer one over the other. Myself? I ended up preferring the more lively, energetic PS1000 over the PS1000e.

I've read many times here and other places that the PS1000e, supposedly has better sub bass but I didn't hear it with my particular pair of PS1000e's .. in fact, I found the bass to be almost "sucked out" with the "e" version; I've very near ordered another pair of the PS1000e's, on more than one occasion, just to see if perhaps I had a weird pair cause the bass was almost anemic compared to the PS1000's ...

Fans of neutrality will definitely prefer the PS1000e as they really are rather clinically "flat" to my ear (or were) ...

I may still order a new pair of PS1000e's ... just to put to rest some questions I still have about comparing the two ... and I'll post some thoughts here if I should ...

I agree that the PS1000e is more neutral (i.e. flat) and thus a more transparent headphone, but the word "far" is something that is way overstated IMO...they are far more similar than not to my ears. 

May 15, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,958 of 3,605
  Don't worry, the PS1000e are the better headphones. If you want a more "U" presentation with bass that isn't as deep (and with a tad more distortion) and treble that's a bit more sizzly, then I guess you need to search out a used pair of PS1000s. 
wink.gif

well dang it, and i thought i had the right ps1k ! lol

May 15, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #1,959 of 3,605
  well dang it, and i thought i had the right ps1k ! lol

Jay, please read my next post. 
redface.gif

At the same price, I'd jump on the PS1000e, but at $1k, I don't think I could justify the $700 difference as they are way too close to each other (to my ears anyway).

May 15, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #1,960 of 3,605

Jay, please read my next post. 
redface.gif

At the same price, I'd jump on the PS1000e, but at $1k, I don't think I could justify the $700 difference as they are way too close to each other (to my ears anyway).

oh i know, i was just cutting up, i tend to do that 

May 15, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #1,962 of 3,605
and now that i do have the ps1000, i was thinking i should get another amp besides the magni 2, but i'll be danged, the ps1000 pretty good on it

May 15, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #1,963 of 3,605
Jay, the PS1k sound great out of my iPhone, though they do scale very well. I am done with headphones (for now), my focus will be on improving amps and sources.

May 15, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #1,964 of 3,605
Jay, the PS1k sound great out of my iPhone, though they do scale very well. I am done with headphones (for now), my focus will be on improving amps and sources.

i hope i'm done, or at least close ! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back