post your grado mods....
Oct 16, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #4,096 of 8,988

Hate those Grado Y-split joint/cable ... But how do I make a diy/custom cable ... Does custom cable sound better ...
Even if I could get offer on custom cable ... How would I slide the drivers out from the wood cup ...

Thinking of selling them and upgrade to 225i ... Should I do so ... Any buyer interested in my Grado ...:D

Must resist...

DO IT AND NEVER LOOK BACK.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #4,097 of 8,988
DO IT AND NEVER LOOK BACK.

Must resist...

I must resist if I can't find any buyer ... But can't post in sale/trade forum as I don't have enough post yet ...
biggrin.gif

Kinda hoping I could sell those, then get 225i and use my cherry wood cup ...

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #4,098 of 8,988
alright bros here's the thread!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/686212/the-great-grado-experiment-4-tonewoods-tested-more-to-come

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4,101 of 8,988
Here we go:

And this Saturday afternoon's project is...

SR60i with Chocolate Maple cups (courtesy of 7keys), drivers vented (2 holes per), DIY leather headband, and I put the 8 conductor cable from my 225s in. 

I'd say that the bass definitely reaches deeper and the soundstage has certainly grown. It's not close to my 650s but it certainly feels outside my head now!

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #4,102 of 8,988
After a long time of not beeing active in this thread i wanted to post my latest grado mod i did some month ago:

based on a very similar mod i posted before with sr80i drivers i wanted to do a kind of final mod optimized for

- soundstage

- bass quality and depth

- linearity

- better drivers for improved highs, resolution, imaging and detail

as i did not want to disassemble another headphone with sr325is drivers, i bought two turbulent lab X drivers for this headphone (all holes vented):

as usual the complete aluminium housing is made out of photo filter rings and adaptors, here you see both sides of the headphone:

This time i used two small tea filters as mesh:

i used a sr225i 8 wire grado cable, removed the outer cable sheath on both sides of the y-split and used some shrink-on tube to apply the new one:

This time i made a complete inner balsa wood sleeve from driver to mesh:

the ring and wooden sleeve around the mesh improves soundstage width, in the same time the precision and quality of both bass and highs, but the overall sound slighty moves to the brighter side and the higher the ring around the mesh, the more 2 dimensional the soundstage will be, you loose soundstage depth, so some testing and listening required to find a good compromise:

i spent a lot of time optimizing the wooden parts. for example the inner sleeve's thickness and shape is important for a good balance between bass and high frequencies, the best solution was a sleeve with round inner shape you can see here:

at first i had the problem that i missed soundstage depth when the rings around the mesh were just ideal for the overall precision and soundstage width until i learned that the soundstage depth can be improved and adjusted by a wooden disc above the driver so not only damping the driver with one felt disc. after a lot of testing and listening i found this combination as optimum. if you add too much length here you loose precision, the highs are absorbed and also soundstage width is decreased.

Also you can see the filter rings filled with a foam rubber ring to have a resonant free and fixed contact between alumininium housing and wooden sleeve:

the complete headphone can be disassembled, the only fixed connections are the four soldering points for the drivers:

soundwise, the resulting headphone is very linear from top to bottom end, has a very deep and precise, highly textured bass and also a really good resolution, imaging and fine detail, i think limited by the Turbulent Lab X drivers. the imaging is slightly less pinpoint-like than my t5p or the hd800.

the soundstage is clearly wider than the soundstage of my hd800, the overall presentation nevertheless is more grado-like, you are sitting first row, all the objects are slightly larger as when listening with the hd800, where i have the feeling to sit in the 10th row.

For me this is my perfect headphone (at the moment?) as it has the soundstage, bass quality and depth i always wanted but nevertheless sounds like a grado. the only point of improvement i could think of at the moment is to implement some sr325is drivers or to wait until i get my hands on some rs1i drivers.

Interestingly i have stopped modding grados as i am really happy now.

but

- last week bought and extracted the drivers of an iGrado to build a low cost low weight portable open grado

- and i made and had a prototype of a CLOSED grado running with no sound degradation compared to an open one so now i know how to do it but have to improve my manufacturing skills to build something i can post here.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #4,103 of 8,988
Did you just say closed Grado.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #4,104 of 8,988
Did you just say closed Grado.

1. I think it might be along the lines of what the StratoKosster design.  ?

1. The headphone cups made from camera lend adapters is sharp!  I like the idea of the wooden sleeves that fit inside of them, too.

1. Joe,  Thanks for the review of your current wooden cups.  The cup design looks good.  Just might need a few tweaks with the stain on my end.  
    wink.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #4,106 of 8,988
seems to be posting time - so i post some information about what i did last year to make custom bowls.

after buying my first grado (SR225i) last year or the year before i tried to improve bass and comfort by making my own bowls to improve the sound without modding the sr225i itself.

after reading a lot of articles here i thought
- that socks are a must
- the tape mod is nice as basis but should be thought to an end
- i was also inspired by tyll hertsens post on innerfidelity about standard grado and modded grado bowls

so i had the idea

- to put something around standard bowls
- to build something to put around the bowls to extend them in size
- to use socks to cover whatever i put around

after a lot of testing and listening here are the results - my custom grado bowl extension set:

it consists of different rings for the extension of the bowls, the sound tuning rings,  the i call them "sound tuning chips" (that were inspired by tyll hertsens article on innerfidelity and his measurement and implication of bass response and size, i,e. diameter and circumference of the bowls):

i also tested different socks (very thin, normal, thick), in general the thicker the socks, the more bass, but this is achieved by absorbing the highs and loosing detail, precision and overall sound quality, so as result i only used very thin socks (thin socks size 39-42).

to explain the different parts, here are some samples:

as replacement for the tape mod the sound tuning rings can be used by just putting them around a standard bowl:

left - the first ring is made out of felt 2mm thick - very homogenous sounding, adds some warmth to the sound, so for example slightly more bass, less harsh highs

right - the second ring is made out of two layers of strong tape - improves the bass but as there is no glue between bowl and ring slightly less effective than tape directly glued to the bowl.

This is a bowl i made especially for the SR225i:

the bowl is extended by a bowl extension ring made out of felt 6mm thick, linear shape and 4 sound tuning ships between bowl and extension ring, a sock wrapped around the extension ring:

Extension Ring:

here the extension ring is made out of felt 6mm thick. the thicker the felt here, the more the bass is improved. to make the ring i cutted a piece of fitting length, 5mm higher than the bowl. i then cut a piece of felt starting at the height of the bowl on the inner side of the felt ring so that as result there is a linear shape, the inner side of the extension ring so gets wider with the height.

Shape of the Extension RIng::

- if you just use the felt ring as it is (no shape), the higher the extension ring, the more the bass, bass gets boomy and you start to get bass resonances
- a linear shape, as you see (sorry for my limited english to exactly descibe what i want to say) prevents the bass from getting boomy and resonant, the resulting extended bowl also sounds very grado-like
- i also tried a parabolic shape, this shape of the inner side of the extension ring gives you the best soundstage but more sounding like a standard headphone, not a grado. also the extension ring gets very thin with a parabolic shape, so the socks applied will result in a deformation of the extension ring

Sound tuning chips:

inspired by the article on innerfidelity were tyll hertsens had the idea, that resonance frequencies were related to the diameter and so the circumference of the bowl, i had the idea

- to put small plastic pieces at constant distances, symetrically
- or different distances, not symetrically
- to have areas of different reflection in the grado bowl
- and so different ares of acustic behaviour and absorbtion
- and so killing resonances circulating inside the bowls

and this really works
- the hole sound gets cleaner, the chips especially kill resonances of the higher frequencies, the highs get cleaner, more resonant free and not that harsh but without getting a warmer sound
- due the sound tuning chips also the bass gets cleaner but also the chips very slightly limit the lowest possible bass resonance frequency the bowl can transmit, but together with an bowl extension ring this is absolutely no problem as the effect is very small compared to the bass improvement due to the bowl extension ring.

This is a bowl i made especially for the SR325is:

it consists of a grado bowl, a felt sound tuning ring, 4 sound tuning chips (symetrically), a bowl extension ring 1cm higher than the bowl 8mm thick with parabolic shape, and an i call it "soundstage ring".

in the case of the sr325 the sound tuning ring made out of felt 2mm thick acustically couples the bowl with the extension ring, the felt sound tuning ring here also tunes the sound to the warmer, homogenous side as the sr325is highs are more pronounced than the sr225i (this ring was not nessesary for the sr225i bowl posted before).

i already explained the function of the sound tuning chips, here they are used because of the same reason.

the bwol extension ring here is 8mm thick so that the bass is more improved than with 6mm and also the parabolic shape is more effective.

the "sound stage ring" prevents the extension ring from beeing deformed when you put the socks around, so the ring takes care that the soundstage benefit because of the parabolic shape will not be eliminated by the socks deforming the extension ring.

also the soundstage ring works like an additional "tape mod" ring so further improving bass depth.

in this case i put socks separately around the bowl extension ring and the soundstage ring.

something about wrapping socks around the rings:

i tried a lot of different ways to put the socks around the rings or the hole extended bowl, aslo i tried the original grado bowl with socks (not worth to mention or to listen to), but after all the tests there are only two ways i used the socks:

different kinds of using the socks:

putting the socks around the bowl extension ring and/or the soundstage ring:

- the resulting extended bowls are grado-like sounding, preferable for smaller heights of the bowl extension ring, much better sound stage width and slightly better soundstage depth, much more comfortable

putting the socks around the complete extended bowl so that the socks partly close the bowl on the ears side:

- the resulting extended bowls are more like a non-grado headphone sounding, but with good soundstage wide and depth, nice imaging and extended bass response. my idea here was that applying the socks this way the socks form a chamber for the ear and also a defined volume and room for reflections and this really works.

btw i was amazed that the new AKG K812 has the same style of "bowls".

How to test and build:

In general i put all parts together for initial listening

- when i tought a specific extended bowl would be worth listening i put the parts together using small needles
- when i had decided to finally build a specific extended bowl i used superglue to  glue grado bowl, sound tuning chips and sound tuning ring together (only superglue on both sides of the sound tuning ships)
- to glue sound tuning ring, bowl extension ring and soundstage ring together, i used a special glue based on rubber and made to repair clothes, keeps flexible, is heat resistant up to 120 degree celsius, the hole bowl can be washed.

for my next post i will prepare some drawings how to build this closed grado version i mentioned before.

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #4,108 of 8,988
Yea, +1....great job GermanGuy

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #4,109 of 8,988
Holy extensiveness. +2 to GermanGuy.
I think we can all agree hands down that modder of the year goes to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back