post your grado mods....
Oct 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #4,021 of 8,987

These are very simple cups, with no lip for a screen and on the other side the wood type is written in permanent marker, you'd have a hard time sanding it out and I have bad penmanship so they look pretty bad. Although you might not notice it on the walnut cups much.

I'm hoping  they will be passed around for awhile.

If you want a set of cups I'm sure we could trade for something ....I'm looking for a leather covered L-cush.
like in this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/611982/the-stratokosster-a-closed-diy-headphone-based-on-the-koss-ksc-75-driver-and-grado-cup-design

Yes. those are nice.  In fact, the guy (Jin?) from Turbulent Labs was seeking a vendor to make such covers.  I think the idea hit a dead end and I don't remember all the particulars.  But, I should look into this to see what's involved as I do have some sweet, soft and flexible hide (in black) that might be just the ticket.

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #4,022 of 8,987
I see a hand-sewn leather headband on Ebay for the Grado headphones.  It is a medium colored brown/tan.  The edges are stitched in darker thread, but it looks like a very neat job.  It is not a BUY IT NOW type of auction, so bidding is involved.  

I'm not affiliated with the seller, but passing this along in the event someone thinks it might work for them with color, fit, style etc.

I won't link to Ebay in the forums here, so you'll have to perform a small search to find it.

Enjoy!

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #4,023 of 8,987
  I see a hand-sewn leather headband on Ebay for the Grado headphones.  It is a medium colored brown/tan.  The edges are stitched in darker thread, but it looks like a very neat job.  It is not a BUY IT NOW type of auction, so bidding is involved.  

I'm not affiliated with the seller, but passing this along in the event someone thinks it might work for them with color, fit, style etc.

I won't link to Ebay in the forums here, so you'll have to perform a small search to find it.

Enjoy!

looks great....asking the selling if he'd make a different color set

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #4,025 of 8,987
What are the main frequency response differences, between low-end and high-end Grado cans?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should just mod the hell out of my current units, or just scrap/sell them and buy some expensive Grados instead.

But if the same sound is (almost?) achievable with mods... that would be nice. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #4,026 of 8,987
  What are the main frequency response differences, between low-end and high-end Grado cans?

Granted, what I've done on my end isn't necessarily a scientific experiment, but just a casual observation of sound from various Grado headphones.  I've owned many, except for the original higher-end Grado collector headphones, the HF-1, the original SR-325 (black aluminium shell), the PS-1000 and the GS-1000i.

It has taken me a while to get up to the RS1i and the PS-500 models, which I have now.  For several years, funds didn't permit me to be able to buy a $595 or $695 pair of headphones, so the upper models were off my list of options.  What did I do?  I made the best out of what I had available to me.  Simple modifications - adding wooden cups, various pad options and maybe a new cable here and there.  At one point, I had the option to hear the MS-Pro for a period of a week.  At the time, I don't remember being too impressed with what it offered in comparison to my Magnum build at the time.  What was really doing wrong?  Should this even be the case where a headphone over twice the cost didn't impress me as much as I thought?  Maybe.

After working on some equipment changes and switching around with other headphone brands and models, I somehow migrated back to Grado.  Fortunately, I had some better DAC and amp options this time around.

While I do have the RS1i and the PS-500, I so have a trusty pair of Allesandro MS1i headphones that are still in pure stock mode.  I had the RS1i last evening and tried various jazz and folkish-country-light rock songs to capture or grasp some form of sound capabilites of the RS1i.  I then had the MS1i within reach.  I would listen to the RS1i for a period of time, then switch out for the MS1i.  Granted, I didn't have a true A/B source where it was level matched, nor did I have the capability for double-blind testing.  However, the "presence" and the refinement that the RS1i had could be noted.  There was a margin there.  Not a huge margin, but not necessarily a small one either.  I don't believe that Grado makes the RS1i solely for the purpose of making large profits from unsuspecting consumers.  They make the model for those who want a bit more, and can afford a bit more, so there is a market for what they offer.

What does this mean?  Well, I don't see any reason to instantly sell off my MS1i or quickly donate it to some needy soul.  I still don't think that the sound offered by the MS1i is bad in any way.  But, I do believe - as I've heard, that the sound of the RS1i just takes things a bit further.  If I had owned a pair of the SR-60/60i, 80/80i, 125/125i, 225/225i, MS1/1i, MS2/MS2i, etc., I would be quite content with what I had.  The only time the difference with the RS1i comes into play is when one has the ability to hear a pair side-by-side with their current pair of headphones.

Often, as headphone enthusiasts, we have an urge to upgrade.  We come into a few bucks, so we start to calculate in our minds about the options available.  This usually permits us to move up a step or two.  If your ears and listening habits have acclimated to where you are content with an SR-80i, then stay where you are and enjoy being content with your headphones.

Additionally, I have a simple rule that I have been able to maintain quite well when it comes to audio and headphones.  I never listen to something that's out of my price league.  What good would it do me to listen to a pair of Stax "009" at $4,500 and paired with a $5,000 amp?  Actually, all it would probably do is allow me to sample a bit of sound and if I truly loved it, then seeking such a setup would be my goal.  It might be a goal that could take one year to reach, or 10 years to reach, depending on various situations.  However, if I had not heard that $9,500 setup, there's a good chance that it would never have become a goal of mine to achieve.  I would not be frantic in my efforts just to chase the upgrade.  Instead, I could use the time, enjoy the music, enjoy the peace in the music and have the music clear my mind after a bit of time away from home for that activity that they call work.

Finally, some might say life is short, so enjoy it.  This could mean that since we only have one life, we should chase our goals and buy that $9,500 rig and enjoy it.  But, would we really enjoy it?  Or, would we then feel like we had to seek out the $25,000 Sennheiser Orpheus?  Thus, maybe since we just have one life, we might be best to spend our time enjoying the music as opposed to constantly chasing a product or a device that could have a chance of making our music sound better.  The choice is yours.  I'm not good at spending the money of others.

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #4,028 of 8,987
A while back, I had the chance to spend an hour alone in a listening room with the venerable Senns Orpheus. And although the orpheus sounded very good, I still prefer the sound signature of my SR-80i with L-cush, not by much, but still.

I'm kidding of course, but I did spend an hour with the Orpheus, and I think that, the law of diminishing returns hits so hard when you get to this point, that I'd probably  start to wonder if I could've had better sound for a few thousand less.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #4,030 of 8,987
A while back, I had the chance to spend an hour alone in a listening room with the venerable Senns Orpheus. And although the orpheus sounded very good, I still prefer the sound signature of my SR-80i with L-cush, not by much, but still.

I'm kidding of course, but I did spend an hour with the Orpheus, and I think that, the law of diminishing returns hits so hard when you get to this point, that I'd probably  start to wonder if I could've had better sound for a few thousand less.

I do prefer the LCD2 to the Orpheus... The HE90 might have more detail, but the tonal balance of the LCD2 is just magic. I also love the RS1 to death.

Having directly compared the SR009, the Orpheus, an LCD2, an HE6, and a RS1, I think I get a bit of room to talk about my favorite flagship.

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #4,031 of 8,987
  That was deep.. And a great read.

Thank you :)

Not a problem.  I just wanted to keep all of it in perspective.  I think all too often, we see some posts on how product "x" was major upgrade over product "y".  Then, we want to get product "y" and when we do, we wonder what all the fuss was about.

Use the hardware to enjoy your music.  Don't let the hardware become too much of a trophy that you avoid using because you want to keep it pristine.

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #4,032 of 8,987
Oh.  One quick update.  My Ear Zonk pads arrived today.  I've had the L-Cush on all evening.  The Zonk pads are made of a slightly softer foam.  Mine fit perfectly on the cups.  On my ears, they are more comfortable.  They don't itch like the Grado L-Cush either.  $9.99 a pair on Amazon is the cost.   I was able to purchase over $25.00 in merchandise so my shipping was free.

I haven't tried the G-Cush yet from them, but I do have them, too.  But, I'll do so in a few days, and share some observations, too.

As to any sound changes with the different L-Cush pads, I can't initially detect any.  Though, I will experiment with swapping both back and forth in the coming days.

Granted, this isn't really an upgrade as the thread suggests, but rather a side-grade with good comfort results.

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #4,034 of 8,987
I second what wje just said. I recently finished my SSMH tube amp and while at first it wasn't noticeable, but the more I used it, key word "used", the more I realized how much more of a difference it made with the music than the headphones themselves did. I wasn't so much listening to the amp as I was the music, either. In fact, it brought new life to my Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones which, without the amp, sounded dry and plain, but true to the music source (MP3, flac, vinyl, etc.).

I then realized that the mods I had done to my Grado SR-80i, while improvements, probably didn't need to be done to reach my goal of the tone I was searching for in headphones.

While the mods are fun to do, a great hobby, and something I take pride in, I probably could have achieved the same tone quality I was originally after by spending that money on building a great tube amp. None the less, I love my modded SR-80i, they are of my design and taste and sound great with or without an amp!

No, I won't stop modding Grados! :)

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #4,035 of 8,987
I have the Ear Zonk G-Cush and Grado G-Cush and I actually prefer the Ear Zonk. I like the softer material and they do not have that scratchy feel to them. I cant detect much if any SQ differences and they fit the same as well.
On another note I got a Black SR325 in today, thinking whether or not I should make my ghetto HF2 project out of them (replace plastic with wood; the wood is being sent to me thanks by a certain awesome Grado buddy way up north).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back