post your grado mods....
Aug 17, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #3,706 of 8,987

Here is what I started with for $5 from a yard sale

Put some cheap Sennheiser pads on for some listening

Got some bowl pads and started modding

All buttoned up. Mods done: 6 holes punched, felt pad on driver, metal screens, driver cover removed.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #3,708 of 8,987
Quote:

Those look amazing....but what do they sound like.

Could you send me a pair to demo? I'm serious! 

Public launch is intended to be Q4 2013 and we'd hoped to play a part at the London Show in October - I think our offer to the team organising arrived too late BUT we're happy to take some down and let people play.

Until then we're making 1-offs and special orders, helps with correlating our results.

The homogenius CF matrix, >100psi surface and core structuring, 3 types of F1 anti vibration membrane and F1 isolation bonding all have an effect on sound reproduction BUT they're just a few elements that have taken over a year to tailor to a sound that reflects our core dba products [http://demandbetteraudio.co.uk]

Sorry 7keys they're understandably quite costly items 
frown.gif
 although I recall many moons ago a snowboarding trip with a 50 year snow dump at Lake Louise, if only I could bring them personally I would, good-times
rolleyes.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #3,709 of 8,987
Quote:
Did someone mention Carbon Fibre?

We'll put a thread up very soon explaining our goals for this project, available Q4 2013.

All enquiries welcome (no developments with Turbulent X drivers, be the first!)

Those cups look really good. Could you talk about your manufacturing process? Nothing proprietary....just in general.

I'd be really interested in three dimensional woven composite cups. Seems to me you could affect / tune the acoustical properties through different patterns of weaves. Just a thought.

What are the cushions shown on the cans in those pictures? Are they modified grado cushions?

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #3,710 of 8,987
Quote:
I recall many moons ago a snowboarding trip with a 50 year snow dump at Lake Louise, if only I could bring them personally I would, good-times
rolleyes.gif

I lived in Banff for a few years and have Skied Lake Louise, that was many moons ago. 
How about sending a pair to a Montreal Headfi meet, it would be great publicity. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #3,711 of 8,987
Quote:
Those cups look really good. Could you talk about your manufacturing process? Nothing proprietary....just in general.

I'd be really interested in three dimensional woven composite cups. Seems to me you could affect / tune the acoustical properties through different patterns of weaves. Just a thought.

What are the cushions shown on the cans in those pictures? Are they modified grado cushions?

A lot of effort, £'s and $'s have gone into the matrix qualities of CF, both layering, cross layering and multiple structure layering by F1 teams. We have our enclosures made by one of the best suppliers to F1 here in the UK and we've had quite a time developing our own structure and manufacturing parameters...I wouldn't say patterns of weave would force the greatest tonal differences, pressure, cure & post-cure temperatures and internal texturing do however.

Our favoured cushion uses a 1/4'ish modified softie, another goal of our was to have a uniform listening experience and many pads leak depending on the user...we thought it inapropriate to insist customers have their ears operated on to suit our cool 'looking' cups. Our cups tend to seal around the ear, retain a suitable level of the lower end of the spectrum and are transparent to the rest - best of all they are non-fatiguing for long listens.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #3,712 of 8,987
Quote:

I lived in Banff for a few years and have Skied Lake Louise, that was many moons ago. 
How about sending a pair to a Montreal Headfi meet, it would be great publicity. 

"first we take New York!"

Thank you kindly for your offer, I'm sure we'd take you up on it if it extends into 2014 - we have all our focus on a Q4 2013 release in the UK...after that we start putting more pins in our map of the world.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #3,714 of 8,987
Carbon Fiber Grados... looks FANTASTIC! Any info on if JUST the cups can be purchased?

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #3,715 of 8,987
Carbon Fiber Grados... looks FANTASTIC! Any info on if JUST the cups can be purchased?

The design doesn't lend itself to DIY installations as the dimensions are such that the inner, outer and driver need to be suspended during bonding.

We're looking into the viability of a re-manufacturing model, as other small concerns offer, send us the complete headphone and we return a tested, reboxed and warranted product.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3,716 of 8,987
Quote:
The design doesn't lend itself to DIY installations as the dimensions are such that the inner, outer and driver need to be suspended during bonding.

We're looking into the viability of a re-manufacturing model, as other small concerns offer, send us the complete headphone and we return a tested, reboxed and warranted product.

Sounds expensive with shipping back band forth from the UK. 

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #3,718 of 8,987
Screens look great, how does it sound?

I'm very impressed! The Grado sound is truly unique and addicting. I kind of wish I had put the felt pads on the back of the driver before punching the holes, but it was a good lesson. The highest end Grado I've heard is the 125i, these sound slightly better than those stock in my opinion.

I got some material you suggested and my friend is going to drill press me a couple screens.

What should I do next? I have only spent $10 on everything (including the headphones) so I'm willing to spend a bit on them.

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #3,719 of 8,987
What should I do next? I have only spent $10 on everything (including the headphones) so I'm willing to spend a bit on them.

Obligatory 22awg silver recable.

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #3,720 of 8,987
Quote:
I'm very impressed! The Grado sound is truly unique and addicting. I kind of wish I had put the felt pads on the back of the driver before punching the holes, but it was a good lesson. The highest end Grado I've heard is the 125i, these sound slightly better than those stock in my opinion.

I got some material you suggested and my friend is going to drill press me a couple screens.

Since you only spent $10 on your whole build I would say the next thing you should do is spend $300 on carbon fiber cups. 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back