post your grado mods....
Jun 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #3,317 of 8,992
Hi all,

i'm new to this thread, I hope i'm in the right place, but I could really do with some advice.

I recently acquired a set of Grado PS1000s, and I would like to mod them to achieve the following:

1. more cushioning on the headband to make the headphone sit higher on my head. (i'd prefer something off the shelf, but if something needs to be fabricated i'm always open to a bit of DIY)
  2. Something to help increase the clamping force, at the moment the clamping force is just not enough.
  3. as well as above, the adjustable rods are too loose. I use the headphones on their tightest setting but after being on my head for 10 minutes or so, they begin to slide down the rod. (anyway to tighten this so they can't move so freely?)
  4. and finally.... the swiveling of the cups. Is there anyway I can stop them from rotating 360° and locking somewhere.  All this continuous rotating is twisting the cables and ruining the entry points.

I hope i've made the above clear, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh forgot to mention I would only like reversible mods please, nothing which will affect the aesthetics or functionality of the headphone permanently.

Kind Regards
Steph

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #3,318 of 8,992
Quote:
  1. more cushioning on the headband to make the headphone sit higher on my head. (i'd prefer something off the shelf, but if something needs to be fabricated i'm always open to a bit of DIY)
  2. Something to help increase the clamping force, at the moment the clamping force is just not enough.
  3. as well as above, the adjustable rods are too loose. I use the headphones on their tightest setting but after being on my head for 10 minutes or so, they begin to slide down the rod. (anyway to tighten this so they can't move so freely?)
  4. and finally.... the swiveling of the cups. Is there anyway I can stop them from rotating 360° and locking somewhere.  All this continuous rotating is twisting the cables and ruining the entry points.

1 - there are some headbands on fleabay you could look into - just search for 'headphone cushion comfort pad' (I am not affiliated with these and have not owned one, so I can't comment on it)
2 - have you tried bending the headband?
3 - you could make or buy rod-locks - usually a metallic cylinder with a hole for a screw to lock the rod in place. Ideally the screw has a rubber tip to prevent scratching.
4 - not sure how you could do that other than replacing the entire headband with that of another headphone - in this thread there have been some very cheap suggestions for headbands that fit from dirt cheap headphones.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #3,319 of 8,992
Quote:
1 - there are some headbands on fleabay you could look into - just search for 'headphone cushion comfort pad' (I am not affiliated with these and have not owned one, so I can't comment on it)
2 - have you tried bending the headband?
3 - you could make or buy rod-locks - usually a metallic cylinder with a hole for a screw to lock the rod in place. Ideally the screw has a rubber tip to prevent scratching.
4 - not sure how you could do that other than replacing the entire headband with that of another headphone - in this thread there have been some very cheap suggestions for headbands that fit from dirt cheap headphones.

Hi Greq,

thanks for your prompt reply, much appreciated, my thoughts below:

1 - I'll order one of those to try as they are cheap, i just hope it doesn't bend the edges of the stock headband below. Might have to take the stock one off, if that is even possible?
2 - I haven't tried bending the headband yet - might give it a go.  I'll wait to complete the mod from point 3 first (Rod-Locks) so i can get the fit correct. I found this thread after a little digging and think its exactly what you described above they call them shaft locks:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/555961/any-way-to-increase-the-friction-on-the-grado-metal-rods
3 - Going to to try as you suggested - don't suppose anyone knows the diameter of the rods so i can buy the correct shaft-locks.
4 - I guess this is something i'll have to live with and be careful not to swivel past the 360. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #3,320 of 8,992
Quote:
Hi Greq,

thanks for your prompt reply, much appreciated, my thoughts below:

1 - I'll order one of those to try as they are cheap, i just hope it doesn't bend the edges of the stock headband below. Might have to take the stock one off, if that is even possible?
2 - I haven't tried bending the headband yet - might give it a go.  I'll wait to complete the mod from point 3 first (Rod-Locks) so i can get the fit correct. I found this thread after a little digging and think its exactly what you described above they call them shaft locks:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/555961/any-way-to-increase-the-friction-on-the-grado-metal-rods
3 - Going to to try as you suggested - don't suppose anyone knows the diameter of the rods so i can buy the correct shaft-locks.
4 - I guess this is something i'll have to live with and be careful not to swivel past the 360. 

I quite like my Manta headband from Turbulent Labs, though it's not necessarily cheap (by some people's standards), it's not exactly expensive and it's very easy to put on.  Really improved the comfort in my SR225i.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #3,322 of 8,992
Hi 7keys,

thanks funnily enough i've been doing more research since my last post and i found the headband from turbulant labs really good. It looks really padded, might get that instead of the one from eBay.

And going to try this mod as i like the idea of it being not permanent:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/266965/noses-grado-post-mod-w-shaft-collar-and-rubber-o-ring

All i need to do now is figure out where to source the shaft collar and rubber rings from in the UK and i'm sorted.

I'm a little hesitant about taking off the old headband and breaking the super glue seal. The ps1000 are really heavy i don't wan't them coming apart from that point every time i go to put them on my head.lol 

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #3,323 of 8,992
Quote:
Hi 7keys,

thanks funnily enough i've been doing more research since my last post and i found the headband from turbulant labs really good. It looks really padded, might get that instead of the one from eBay.

And going to try this mod as i like the idea of it being not permanent:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/266965/noses-grado-post-mod-w-shaft-collar-and-rubber-o-ring

All i need to do now is figure out where to source the shaft collar and rubber rings from in the UK and i'm sorted.

I'm a little hesitant about taking off the old headband and breaking the super glue seal. The ps1000 are really heavy i don't wan't them coming apart from that point every time i go to put them on my head.lol 

If you're concerned, put a dab of hot glue on the metal headband before you put it back together.

I can tell you that my 225is have no trouble holding together without it, but they're not as heavy as the PS1000s.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #3,324 of 8,992
this is the continuation of my last post http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/3300#post_9564376 with a more detailed description of the construction and some finetuning:

this is the driver side. the driver exactly fits between a step up adapter ring 49mm to 55mm, followed by a step down 52mm to 49mm and a step up 49mm to 52mm adapter ring.

the following step up 52mm to 82mm and a step down 82mm to 67mm adapter ring are then used to hold the sieve used as mesh. you can see that the metal (key)ring to hold the headband just fits into the slit between the two adapter rings.

this is a top view of the driver unit.

if you remove the step down 82mm to 67mm adapter ring, the sieve placed above the driver can be seen. i made a small slit in the outer ring of the sieve for the cable.

if you remove the sieve you can see the driver and how the cable is placed. in addition you can see two felt discs glued onto the driver, the inner one has holes on each side not to cover the driver magnet holes.

finetuning:

after some listening i found there were some bass resonances and also i wanted slighty more treble and detail.

i added a small foam rubber ring around the driver and 

a large foam rubber ring to absorb resonances caused by reflections on the metal.

after placing the sieve in the middle and closing the driver unit with the step down 82mm to 67mm adapter ring the driver unit is ready.

i did this with both drivers. the result is an even more deep but dry bass, also treble and detail is increased to a level that while the overall sound is on the warm side the sound is coherent from the low to the top end ( beg your pardon for my limited ability to descibe sound in english words).

in one of my next posts i will write something more detailed about driver dampening an materials i tested.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #3,327 of 8,992
Would you like a spot of tea with that sir?  
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back