post your grado mods....
Jun 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #3,154 of 8,992
I wish I had money XD All these gorgeous wood cups and Im stuck with the stock plastic on my SR80i's.
redface.gif

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #3,155 of 8,992
Quote:
Are your cups made for liberated drivers ? Metal

Yes! It took some sanding as originally the drivers did not fit, but they are quite snugly press fit. :) I think wood cups do a fantastic job of smoothing the sound of these babies out (sr80i drivers) and I am really looking forward to my magnum drivers I have coming! One question though: are there any options for an alternate headband other that the Sony 7506 headbands? I have seen others but they don't have a name and I do not know where to buy them.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #3,156 of 8,992
Hi metal yes there are plenty of bands
Sony 7502 you also have the urban ears plattan that I have managed to fits and will be up hear soon.
Also I found some bush headphones that fit to with a bit of hair drying lol .
There is another thread that fleasbaby started and I have put some pics up there as well.
I'm in the middle of making some wooden ones
I have ms1-i drivers in mine and g cushions and they really do sound amazing .
I've added evs grounded which make them sound on par with more expensive grados now hehehe

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #3,161 of 8,992
My brother wanted a set of custom woody Grado headphones after listening to mine. We finally were able to get the stuff together and I went to work. He requested Ambrosia Maple for the wood, a bit softer than I like, and it chipped some around the inner mouth of the cup, but they came out okay!

I did a full liberation to the early model SR-60 drivers and sink drain strainer for the screen. The adjusting blocks are the same oak ones I use on my SR-80i and SR-60 sets, with burned "L" and "R" letters, and zinc rod locks to keep everything set to his adjustment. The headband is a stock Grado leather headband which his headphones came with. The cable is Canare miniquad and a one sided (left) mod with two wires fed through the headband. Cable is capped with a Rean 3.5mm stereo jack for a more universal use for him. Now he plans to get a pair of L-Cush pads for comfort, and we may end up lining the exposed inner mouth of the cups with foam padding like my SR-80i cups have.

Here's the pictures!

As for myself, I have a block of Mahogany which I plan to cut another set of cups from, perhaps RS-1i clones? Also looking for another darker wood to cut a new set of cups for my SR-80i, from, since they have developed a small crack on the top of the left cup.

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #3,162 of 8,992
Quote:
Here is my first mod.

I just bought a RS1i and found the bowl pads a little uncomfortable. I decided to go with the reverse comfy pads, but I did not like my ears touching the driver grill. So I made "spacer rings" to just give it that extra distance. I'm very happy with the result. I bought high density foam rubber. I got two thicknesses 2mm & 5mm, but found 2mm best.

This is now way more comfotable!

The sound is amazing especially the bass. I found with my ears touching the grill that there was a harshness, but that is gone now.

Tools used: 41mm & 55mm WAD punches and a hammer.

Got any spares?  I would like to try this on my Rs1's with flat pads!

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #3,163 of 8,992
Well look at this all these woodies coming out of the woodwork lol
Keep it coming guys this is fun.
I'm having to extend the shed as all this headphone malarkey has taken over the front room lol.
Yeh it's raining so I can't work outside so I guess I'll have to put a set of woodies together :stuck_out_tongue:
Nice work guys ,I've only been doing this a few months ,it's such fun and to think how much better
Our music sounds,my headphones sound so smooth i get goose bumps lol

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #3,164 of 8,992
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to head-fi but I bought a pair of sr80is a few months ago. I've become more comfortable with the idea of modding my own sr80is and was just wondering if any of you guys who've done woody mods have spare aluminium cups I could buy off you. I Wasn't sure whether this would get much coverage in the buy/sell section of the forums considering that the greatest concentration of folks most likely to have a pair lying around are probably on this thread! Should I post there instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back