post your grado mods....
Sep 8, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #2,461 of 8,990
Quote:
Taiden - have you considered possibly making the longer cups (GS1000 type) possibly?

There are some nice GS1000 styled cups in the FS from Cabillas, check it out here http://www.head-fi.org/t/626050/new-cups-based-in-gs1000-model-for-grado-and-magnums 

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #2,462 of 8,990
Quote:

There are some nice GS1000 styled cups in the FS from Cabillas, check it out here http://www.head-fi.org/t/626050/new-cups-based-in-gs1000-model-for-grado-and-magnums 

Thanks - I had seen them, but even Cabillas admitted they were a bit shorter than regular GS1000.  To be honest they don't look that much longer than my current Cabillas standard cups.  Without the extra length, using jumbos simply won't give the right tone.

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #2,464 of 8,990
Hey All:

Got a couple of pairs of L-Cush inbound for my HF-2 and a magnum mod. Want to try the fabric softener mod to make them more comfortable. What's the deal with this? Do I just soak them in a bowl with warm water and some fabric softener? How long? I'm guessing when they come out they get rinsed? Any info from someone who has done this would be great! Thanks,

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #2,466 of 8,990
Turns out that the grey mica metallic paint job isn't very durable...after just a few months of use the cups have noticable chips and bruises on the metallic paint finish 
frown.gif

So...a makeover...now the custom alu cups in polished aluminium finish!

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #2,468 of 8,990
Quote:
What sort of mods could I do to the PS1000 Grados to make them more comfortable on the ears?  

If you're having comfort problems with the jumbo bowls (which are often regarded as the most comfortable grado pads) then i would look at the headband, maybe add extra padding (put a chunk of foal on the underside to see if it helps) and/or gently benf it outwards to reduce clamping force.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #2,469 of 8,990
Hi, this might be a silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyways ...

I've have in my possession:

1. A pair of 325i drivers with a pretty worn and twisted cable
  2. A new denon D5000 cable that I'd like to replace the stock Grado one with
  3. Zero recabling experience
    smile.gif

From researching/looking at them, I'm pretty sure the 325i drivers are cabled thus:

1. Blue wire: ground
  2. Red wire: left
  3. White wire: Right

Each side of my denon cable has a black wire (which I believe is the ground) and one side has red and the other white.

So, my inclination is to recable as follows:

1. Denon black replacing Grado blue, each side
  2. Denon red replacing Grado red, on left driver
  3. Denon white replacing Grado white, on right driver

Does this seem sensible to the more experienced re-cablers out there?

If, for example, the Denon cable is actually wired so that red is right and white is left, will that ultimately matter? Could I just then use the current left driver as the right and vice-versa?

Any feedback appreciated, even if it's just to point out my stupidity ...

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #2,470 of 8,990
Quote:

If you're having comfort problems with the jumbo bowls (which are often regarded as the most comfortable grado pads) then i would look at the headband, maybe add extra padding (put a chunk of foal on the underside to see if it helps) and/or gently benf it outwards to reduce clamping force.

Cheers I'll try that.  The jumbo bowls are comfortable, but the headphone band needs some padding I think.

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #2,471 of 8,990
Quote:

smile.gif

From researching/looking at them, I'm pretty sure the 325i drivers are cabled thus:

Each side of my denon cable has a black wire (which I believe is the ground) and one side has red and the other white.

If, for example, the Denon cable is actually wired so that red is right and white is left, will that ultimately matter? Could I just then use the current left driver as the right and vice-versa?

You're avatar goes very well with your point on zero cabling experience... I lol'd a little. 

The colour designations you mentioned are accurate. 

I wouldn't worry too much about wiring the any cable wrongly - just do one side first without re-assembly (left or right), then plug it into a source that can pan between left and right - most PC sound cards can do this. 
If you solder the right channel first, kill the left channel and have a listen - if there is sound, good job and solder the next one. If there is no sound, open up the left channel - if there is still no sound you failed at soldering - not to worry, just try again! but if there is sound just un-solder that joint and connect it to the other channel. That's probably less than 3 minutes of extra work and you would have a little more soldering experience for next time. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #2,472 of 8,990
Quote:

smile.gif

Also, getting positive and negative right on each driver doesn't matter. Getting them in phase with each other does matter, which is to say the same must go to positive and negative for each driver. Wow, that sentence was confusing, but I think you got my point.

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #2,473 of 8,990
Quote:
Also, getting positive and negative right on each driver doesn't matter. Getting them in phase with each other does matter, which is to say the same must go to positive and negative for each driver. Wow, that sentence was confusing, but I think you got my point.

Ah, yes - thanks for adding that, I forgot :) - if they're out of phase the sound can get all weird. I bought an AKG K240 that was wired out of phase and there was almost no bass and the soundstage was really weird - like hearing a concert from the reception outside of the concert hall. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #2,474 of 8,990
Thanks to both of you for the feedback!!

Are 'positive' and 'negative' synonymous with 'signal' and 'ground' then?

If so, then I guess as long as I get the ground/negative cable soldered correctly on both divers, it doesn't matter which positive/signal cable attaches to which driver. One driver will just end up playing the left signal and the other the right, and I just need to make sure i re-attach them to my headband the right way around ... or am I just getting myself confused ...
smile.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #2,475 of 8,990
Quote:
Thanks to both of you for the feedback!!

Are 'positive' and 'negative' synonymous with 'signal' and 'ground' then?

If so, then I guess as long as I get the ground/negative cable soldered correctly on both divers, it doesn't matter which positive/signal cable attaches to which driver. One driver will just end up playing the left signal and the other the right, and I just need to make sure i re-attach them to my headband the right way around ... or am I just getting myself confused ...
smile.gif

That all sounds right. If you switch left and right, the soundstaging will be backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back