post your grado mods....
Aug 23, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #2,446 of 8,992
Quote:
Ms1is. Are they plastic? If so. Hack hack. I put the classics on my ms1 and the sound is more robust. Well worth it.

Yeah, they are just the newer 'i' version of the MS1. Currently my only set of Grados, so I was hoping to also get a used pair to try the wood cups with, in case I made a mess of liberating the drivers
normal_smile%20.gif

However, it seems that used sr80s go for as much as new MS1s here, as present exchange rates, so I reckon I'll just risk it ... Good to hear you like the sound change on your pair!

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #2,447 of 8,992
Quote:

Hey, good to see a familiar face from rock grotto. what does this mod do, loosen and make things a bit more supple? sounds the most extreme of all

Venting the holes produces more bass and bluetak on the back of driver reduces resonance I think, haven't tried that yet. One mod I'd advise on the 325 though, is removal of the plastic ring on the inside of the cup, just below the grill. The inside of the metal cup was covered with hot glue though, removed all of that which could also have affected the sound, but I've heard more recommending the removal; best if al, it is easily reversible if it isn't to your liking. You just need the guts to open them up again!

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #2,448 of 8,992
Quote:

Hey, good to see a familiar face from rock grotto. what does this mod do, loosen and make things a bit more supple? sounds the most extreme of all

Venting the holes produces more bass and bluetak on the back of driver reduces resonance I think, haven't tried that yet. One mod I'd advise on the 325 though, is removal of the plastic ring on the inside of the cup, just below the grill. The inside of the metal cup was covered with hot glue though, removed all of that which could also have affected the sound, but I've heard more recommending the removal; best if al, it is easily reversible if it isn't to your liking. You just need the guts to open them up again!

Oh I see. What's the purpose of this ring? What does it do! Is it there for a reason maybe? The 325is is great, bit reluctant to play with it.

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #2,449 of 8,992
Oh I see. What's the purpose of this ring? What does it do! Is it there for a reason maybe? The 325is is great, bit reluctant to play with it.

Not too sure, some say it is to hold the grill in place, or to make sure the driver enclosure remains inserted in the cup at the right depth. My favorite explanation is that Grado put them there so that the 325i doesn't compete too strongly with the higher tiered models!

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #2,450 of 8,992
I need to stop reading this thread while my sr-325is' are still in one piece.

...theres just so many options. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #2,451 of 8,992
Not too sure, some say it is to hold the grill in place, or to make sure the driver enclosure remains inserted in the cup at the right depth. My favorite explanation is that Grado put them there so that the 325i doesn't compete too strongly with the higher tiered models!

I have the SR325 all black (vintage 1995) and the inside ring is made of aluminium, not plastic like the newer model. Out of all the 325 I owned (325i, MS2) they are the best sounding. Almost as good as my MS-Pro (Based on memory :rolleyes:)

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #2,452 of 8,992
Quote:
Quote:

I have the SR325 all black (vintage 1995) and the inside ring is made of aluminium, not plastic like the newer model. Out of all the 325 I owned (325i, MS2) they are the best sounding. Almost as good as my MS-Pro (Based on memory
rolleyes.gif
)

I think that having the sound interface with as much aluminum and as little plastic makes a huge difference.. That, ultimately was one of the reasons I went for the full magnum instead of just the drivers.

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #2,453 of 8,992

Alessandro MS1i
Custom HeadPhone Lounge Saddle/Onyx Headband w/ Contrasting Stitching
L-Cushion Ear Pads

Planning on getting some woody cups in the near future, and possibly have a re-cable later on down the line.  Will do metal hinges when the stock ones go.

If anyone has any good recommendations on good replacement wood cups for I would appreciate it.  I am looking at the headphone lounge ones as they seem to be decent bang for buck, but I know there are some really awesome ones out there, unfortunatly they seem really expensive.  Only can really spend $100 for now, maybe $150 if they look awesome, for the cups alone.

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #2,455 of 8,992
Hi All:

Got the parts coming in over the next week or two to start my first mod.  Going with the Vibro wood cups, Magnum drivers, silver cable from Chris (Himself) and probably a Headphone Lounge leather headband.  So two questions for all who have done this, should I be looking at any type of strain relief for the wire going into the wooden cup?  Seems like the only relief would be the solder joint without it...I'm not at all rough with my electronics...but wanted to ask about this.  Second question is about mounting the driver in the cup.  Watched the video on the Headphone Lounge site, and it seems very straightforward, but since they claim the tape is permanent (good thing), are there any mods I should do (or consider) before I mount the driver?  Thanks!

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #2,456 of 8,992
Hey Kev, just wanted to interject here. The tape is permanent in terms of sticking to the driver. However, once the driver is set inside the cup it's quite easy to remove it for later service.

I personally just use the stock wire tie, but there are probably much better ways to do this.

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #2,458 of 8,992
Quote:
Woah! That headband is wicked.

Thanks!  I was really impressed with it when it arrived, now they almost look as good as they sound.

BTW; I saw on your site the limited ones you made (and no longer have), and really like a lot of your cups...  any chance you may do a limited run in the classic style?  I like the look of your cups, but am kinda looking for something with a slightly diffrent finish than your stock wood.

Also, I noticed the stopper tips on the picture in your limited page, do/can you make those to match your standard cups?

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #2,459 of 8,992
Quote:
Thanks!  I was really impressed with it when it arrived, now they almost look as good as they sound.

BTW; I saw on your site the limited ones you made (and no longer have), and really like a lot of your cups...  any chance you may do a limited run in the classic style?  I like the look of your cups, but am kinda looking for something with a slightly diffrent finish than your stock wood.

Also, I noticed the stopper tips on the picture in your limited page, do/can you make those to match your standard cups?

You'll have to stay tuned, I don't know what is coming next until I start making them. There is an incoming release though... :)

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #2,460 of 8,992
Taiden - have you considered possibly making the longer cups (GS1000 type) possibly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back