post your grado mods....
Nov 26, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #1,847 of 8,992
I couldn't help touching my MS-1i.

Got 414 pads, quartermodded them, opened 4 holes with tweezers (..you seriously have the balls to poke a pencil through them?) and smeared 'Tack-all' all over the place.

Didn't test the holes without the tack, but definitely got more warmth in the sound. Still no proper looow-end though, so not useful for electronica. For drums, very :)  

Guitars might have lost some of their most coherent edge (maybe too much tack on the driver?). For some reason on some songs the resonance of electric guitars really drills into my skull now (best example Annihilator - Hunger), giving me chills of not really the best kind :)  This didn't happen with only the cut 414 pads, came along with mods.

Overall i approve of them as they are.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #1,848 of 8,992

Quote:
will superlux hd681/hd660 be a perfect foster phone for grado sr60/80/ms1?

i love the sound signature of grados but can't stand the comfort of comfy, bowl, or jumbo pad. i'm revisiting this thread again after i got this foster phone idea..

A buddy of mine did exactly that with MS1 systems and DT660 housings. The result was at least acceptable, but although he had a fantastillion different pads to try, he never got the tonality perfectly right.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #1,849 of 8,992
Hi,
First post here! I've owned some Grado SR60i's for about a year and a half now, and LOVE them (these are my first serious headphones). I've swapped out for L-cushions, added bluetack, and added a Sennheiser headband (can't remember which).

A couple of days ago the right driver started developing a fuzzy distortion on some bass notes. As I understand it iGrado's share the same driver as SR60i's, does anyone have experience frankenstiening these into SR60i's? 

Any help would be appreciated, money's tight so this is my only option to save the Grado's before I'm tempted by some Senn's or Sony's, I can't afford a new set of SR60's :frowning2: If I had it my way I'd be grabbing some SR125+.

Thanks all

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #1,850 of 8,992
If you are in the USA you better of just contacting Grado Labs Support and get them to fix it for you. I believe they have a flat charge of about $40. Maybe lower for the SR60i.

Quote:
Hi,
First post here! I've owned some Grado SR60i's for about a year and a half now, and LOVE them (these are my first serious headphones). I've swapped out for L-cushions, added bluetack, and added a Sennheiser headband (can't remember which).

A couple of days ago the right driver started developing a fuzzy distortion on some bass notes. As I understand it iGrado's share the same driver as SR60i's, does anyone have experience frankenstiening these into SR60i's? 

Any help would be appreciated, money's tight so this is my only option to save the Grado's before I'm tempted by some Senn's or Sony's, I can't afford a new set of SR60's :frowning2: If I had it my way I'd be grabbing some SR125+.

Thanks all

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #1,851 of 8,992
they shared the same driver but as far as i know the iGrado still inferior to the sr60i in terms of SQ, correct me.. how big is the price difference between the sr60i and iGrado? here in my country (indonesia) they both are only separated by at least 10-20 dollars.

cheers,

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #1,852 of 8,992
I second that. I've been playing with some Grado SR60i drivers and I have transplanted them in a very cool retro looking headphone and converted the close cup to full open cups be I think the Grado magic is with the pads. My new foster phone came with pleather pads and that is enough to alter the signature. They sound good (Not great) but not a Grado. I will add some pictures later because the result is pretty amazing (to me and my wife at least) My wife already claimed them.

Quote:
A buddy of mine did exactly that with MS1 systems and DT660 housings. The result was at least acceptable, but although he had a fantastillion different pads to try, he never got the tonality perfectly right.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #1,853 of 8,992
Here in the UK iGrado's are half the price of the SR60i's (£44.99, £90). Don't mean to turn this thread into tech support, thanks for the answers anyway. I might see if I can pick up a new pair on an auction site or something.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #1,854 of 8,992
or just ask if any members have a spare driver for you. you might be surprise on the answer. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Here in the UK iGrado's are half the price of the SR60i's (£44.99, £90). Don't mean to turn this thread into tech support, thanks for the answers anyway. I might see if I can pick up a new pair on an auction site or something.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #1,857 of 8,992
OK. Here it is as mentioned in a few post above I have been playing with some transplant/Foster headphone. They started as a close back but the result was far from good so I have gutted the foster back cup and added a nice metal mesh grill and here is the result. The sound is good but not 100% Grado good 
wink_face.gif
. I think the pleather pads have an effect on the sound. I'm still tuning the sound with some damping in the cup walls.

I called them the Retro Grado. Enjoy the pictures!

Here you can compare the size with the MS-Pro.

*** Sorry for the lighting. These pictures were taking with normal incandescent light so not the best. 
frown.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #1,859 of 8,992
Magnifique monsieur Twinster!

Quote:

Here you can compare the size with the MS-Pro.

*** Sorry for the lighting. These pictures were taking with normal incandescent light so not the best. 
frown.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back