post your grado mods....
Apr 9, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #1,591 of 8,988

Quote:
They'll replace the cable for you for $30.

Thanks.  I'm just not sure what they'll think when they receive the pair of SR225s that have wooden cups, holes drilled in the rear of the driver housings, new screening and a custom leather head band.  I'll have to check what their cost of just the part is and see if they'll mail it to me instead.  Thanks again for the information on the Grado cable.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #1,592 of 8,988

Quote:
Thanks.  I'm just not sure what they'll think when they receive the pair of SR225s that have wooden cups, holes drilled in the rear of the driver housings, new screening and a custom leather head band.

lol

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #1,593 of 8,988

Quote:
 lol

I actually measured my cable, which has a few feet coiled up.  Each time I use the headphones, it feels like I have a boa on me.  The currently length is 8.5 feet.  A bit long for my tastes - given that I already use an extension as it is.  The Neutrik plug is pretty decent when I looked at the insides this morning.  I'm taking my cable length down to about 4.5 feet - and, that's what I'll live with.  This should reduce the cable weight by quite a bit.

In other news, I stopped by a car audio shop this morning and purchased about a square foot of dynamat for $15.00.  I'm going to get into the SR-325 mods this weekend by drilling the holes and damping the rear magnet of the driver with the Dynamat.  Then, I'll just wait on Bilavdideo to send me the wooden "liners" for the SR325s to see where the sound goes from there.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #1,594 of 8,988
I just want a shorter cable, then my Grados would never leave my neck.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #1,597 of 8,988

Quote:

SR series, Little Dot1+
I can hear the sibilance from here.

ON a side note I have been looking into the RS series and would like to know if people think that a dampened and modded 325i is in competition with them? I loved the Grado sound but HATE sibilance, the higher up they go the "brighter" people say they are and so far Bright=sibilance from everything I have read and tested on head-fi.

I actually LOVE the sound of my little dot and my grados together. 

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,598 of 8,988

Hey e-friends!  Look what I hath birthed this eve.  It may be a first of it's kind...no?  

A prototype...so still needs some tweaking but a great start to an idea that I've had for about a year.  Primarily will need better binding posts for the cup and obviously matching paint job.  I'll figure something out so that they're detachable.  I don't want to glue in the posts.  I did, however glue in the copper rod.   

Also, here's my main project still waiting on the new Classic RS1 drivers coming next week.  I've poly'ed the accent rings up since this pic and you can see the shiny rod blocks in the above pic.  

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #1,599 of 8,988
Damned, great job
eek.gif

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #1,600 of 8,988

I just found this thread a few days ago and have been busy reading.  I'm amazed at the work that's been done here!  Just in awe of some of the workmanship.  Ordinarily, the phrase "way too much free time' would spring to mind, but audio and Grado I understand.
   I saw this question asked (oh, a couple of years ago now, 2009 I think), but it was never answered.  For newbies just finding this thread (and others that managed to ghettoize their own retainer mod), here's how I installed yoke shaft retaining screws on my SR225s:

Tools & Materials needed:
Variable-speed power drill (or drill-press if you have one)
3/32" drill bit
Masking tape (or duct, or cellophane, or electrical)
1/4" nut driver
1/2" long computer case screw
2 Black thumbscrews
(Black thumbscrews (10 pack) - Fry's #4735029 - $2.99)

1) MARK the ear cups LEFT and RIGHT.  Masking tape will do.  We're going to drop them out of the yoke shaft retainers and we don't want to put them back in wrong.

2) Take the black caps off the tops of the yoke shafts (I just twisted and pulled and they popped right off on mine) and put them someplace safe.  They can disappear pretty quickly.  Pull the earcups out and put them aside.  You are now holding the headband with the yoke shaft retainers.

3) Mark the centers top-bottom and left-right of the yoke shaft retainers.  Use a scribe if you can to make a tiny hole to keep the drill bit from sliding around.

4) At this point, I used a vise to hold the headband in place for drilling.  The idea of sending a drill bit through my hand, or worse, into my leg, prompted this step.  Be careful not to mark or crush the yoke shaft retainers with the vise.

(Hint: Get two 6" long pieces of 1" aluminum angle and use DAP Kwik Seal Plus to glue some rubber or Neoprene gasket material along one face of each angle.  Got some leftover green felt?  I know you do.  Glue some of that to the other face.  Put a little blob of Blutak (you've got some of that, too, I'll bet) above each jaw of the vise to hold the angle steady while you position the headband for drilling.  Use whichever face, rubber or felt, that works best for you.)

5) Wrap about two or three inches of tape around the drill bit, about 1/2" or less from the tip, to act as a "stop."

6) Drill (on a slow speed) a 3/32" hole in the retainer.  Try to keep the drill as level as possible.  Go in slowly, don't push, let the weight of the drill itself drill the hole in the plastic.  Let the drill go in to the tape "stop" on the bit.

7) Before loosening the vise to drill the other side, use the nutdriver to screw the 1/2" long computer case screw into the hole.  Again, go slowly; you're cutting threads for the thumbscrew, let's not strip them out by going too fast.  And again, the unpleasant thought of sending a screwdriver into my hand or leg prompted the use of the nutdriver.

8) Remove the computer case screw.  Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the other side.

9) Replace the ear cups in the yoke shaft retainer, paying attention to LEFT and RIGHT (you DID mark them, right?) and then put the black caps back onto the yoke shafts.

10) Screw the thumbscrews into the holes.

11) Position the earcups to your liking and tighten the thumbscrews.

Believe it or not, you can actually do the entire job (including collecting tools and materials, if you're an organized type) in about twenty minutes.  The thumbscrews listed here are aluminum and TRUE thumbscrews (there are no slots for Phillips or flat screwdrivers and they have knurled grips) so they look really clean and, if you weren't a Grado owner, you would swear they were original equipment.
   And since they come in packs of ten, maybe you'd like to cut the threads off of two of the thumbscrews and drill them out to replace those tacky black caps.  Just an idea.

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #1,601 of 8,988

I've said it already, but dang, those are incredible. It's really cool to see people modding their highend grado's. I know you've had a rough start, but once you get it all together this could be the start of something new. Who says SR owners are the only ones that get to have fun? Theres no reason RS1's and HF2's can't play

Quote:

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #1,602 of 8,988

+1

Quote:
I've said it already, but dang, those are incredible. It's really cool to see people modding their highend grado's. I know you've had a rough start, but once you get it all together this could be the start of something new. Who says SR owners are the only ones that get to have fun? Theres no reason RS1's and HF2's can't play

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #1,603 of 8,988
Thanks Mav and schwally.  I definitely agree. 

I've been logging some serious hours in the garage.  I've got a couple surprises coming up in the next couple weeks. 
-Marty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back