post your grado mods....
Mar 10, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #1,547 of 8,987

hello gents, i've got loads of aluminum pref metal with a 0.050 gage. i cut them down to about 11x12.5" sheets and i'd like to move these as quick as i can. 

pm me and let me know if you need a sheet or two. :{o

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #1,548 of 8,987
^^^ looks like cocobolo there, you turn those yourself?

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,549 of 8,987
Made my cable detatchable with a couple of rean mono plugs, and reterminated the cable with a right-angle neutrik plug. It was a painful process, because i cracked 3 (yes 3) wooden cups trying to widen the hole for the plugs, before I found the dremel as a tool to use.

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #1,551 of 8,987
I must say, I never got the point why cables have to be detachable...
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #1,552 of 8,987
So you can use different types of cables, which is especially nice with Grados as they can be used as a portable. 

Great work on the cable, but how bulky are two Neutrik plugs when they are hanging to your cups?

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #1,553 of 8,987
Good point.

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #1,554 of 8,987
Exactly. More than anything though, I just wanted to give it a shot and see if I liked it, in other words, I can't leave well enough alone
wink_face.gif
. They don't add much bulk at all, and make them less of a pain to transport as I can just coil the cable and throw it in the part of my backpack with the other cables, and I can carry the headphones seperately/in a different part of my backpack. When I get around to making a better cable, I may do away with the removability though and just go with a nylon coated neutrik terminated cable
Quote:
So you can use different types of cables, which is especially nice with Grados as they can be used as a portable. 

Great work on the cable, but how bulky are two Neutrik plugs when they are hanging to your cups?

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #1,555 of 8,987
You can also remove the barrel of the plugs. Get the cheapest plugs you can find, they usually have the smallest footprint, though the barrel is huge.

You remove the barrel and secure the wires with hot glue. With a knife, shape the glue until it is nice and round. Now use a layer of adhesive lined heat shrink and slide it over the wires. With the use of a heatgun you shrink the tube and the glue within until it is nice and even everywhere. Do this right and you will get the heat shrink ends to be flush with the base of the plug. I have done this before and you get a super small and sturdy plug. :)

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #1,557 of 8,987
Did a couple pairs of cups on Wednesday, one Zebrano one Cocobolo. Any recommendations of a Grado to put the Zebrano cups on that will give a noticably different sound to the modded SR80i's shown here.

Still planning on doing rod end pieces in the matching woods and I have enough wood to make the bottom housing out of Cocobolo so as to remove all plastic from the housing, or I could just use it to make another set of cups.

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,560 of 8,987

Those look to nice for yellow pads. Please buy the flats for todd.
Quote:
Did a couple pairs of cups on Wednesday, one Zebrano one Cocobolo. Any recommendations of a Grado to put the Zebrano cups on that will give a noticably different sound to the modded SR80i's shown here.

Still planning on doing rod end pieces in the matching woods and I have enough wood to make the bottom housing out of Cocobolo so as to remove all plastic from the housing, or I could just use it to make another set of cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back