post your grado mods....
Feb 11, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #1,516 of 8,992
Really the nicest cups I have ever seen! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #1,517 of 8,992

Quote:
What do you think of the jumbos?
Ive had mine for couple weeks, think I am going back to flats!

I think the jumbos kick major ass...on the 325's at least.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #1,518 of 8,992

Quote:
Quote:
What do you think of the jumbos?
Ive had mine for couple weeks, think I am going back to flats!

I think the jumbos kick major ass...on the 325's at least.

I like the jumbos for comfort. The stock pads were only good for an hour or so before they caused my ears to ache. I didnt find any change in sound detrimental enough to loose the comfort.

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #1,519 of 8,992
I received my set of SR60i's from a fellow Head Fi member yesterday (thanks again!), and set to modding them after the kids when to bed.

I have removed the "loincloth", steamed open the cups and punched 6 holes so far.

I have quarter modded stock pads, and bowls.

Playing Everything but the Girl - The Only Living Boy in New York City.

The stock pads have PHAT bass, it is full and a solid foundation for the rest of the tune, but the voices suffer from some congestion and colouration.

The bowls have great clarity and much better soundstage, but the phat girl is gone...

As an admitted basshead (very much liked my DT770's in the past, but I wanted more soundstage so I sold them for Alessandro MS1i's), I want more.  I want the bass of the stock pads, with the mids and highs of the bowls.

Thoughts boys?

Punch all 10 holes?
Jumbo's?

Grow up?  Not likely...

Many thanks Bilavideo, for making all this so well documented, and bringing the fun to the people!

Oh, and as an aside, when I compare the sr60i's with the bowls vs the stock MS1i's with stock pads via my Bolder modded Logitech SB3, FLAC, and Millett Hybrid Max - no contest, the 60's are absolutely better.

Now, the MS1i's are supposed to have better drivers... decisions decisions!

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #1,520 of 8,992

Quote:
I received my set of SR60i's from a fellow Head Fi member yesterday (thanks again!), and set to modding them after the kids when to bed.

I have removed the "loincloth", steamed open the cups and punched 6 holes so far.

I have quarter modded stock pads, and bowls.

Playing Everything but the Girl - The Only Living Boy in New York City.

The stock pads have PHAT bass, it is full and a solid foundation for the rest of the tune, but the voices suffer from some congestion and colouration.

The bowls have great clarity and much better soundstage, but the phat girl is gone...

As an admitted basshead (very much liked my DT770's in the past, but I wanted more soundstage so I sold them for Alessandro MS1i's), I want more.  I want the bass of the stock pads, with the mids and highs of the bowls.

Thoughts boys?

Punch all 10 holes?
Jumbo's?

Grow up?  Not likely...

Many thanks Bilavideo, for making all this so well documented, and bringing the fun to the people!

Oh, and as an aside, when I compare the sr60i's with the bowls vs the stock MS1i's with stock pads via my Bolder modded Logitech SB3, FLAC, and Millett Hybrid Max - no contest, the 60's are absolutely better.

Now, the MS1i's are supposed to have better drivers... decisions decisions!

I didn't like the jumbos. If you like mids you probably wont either.

the drivers aren't "better" just different.

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #1,521 of 8,992
Jumbos don't work unless they get coupled with distancers.

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #1,522 of 8,992
Thanks for the tips guys.

While I am keeping them stock for the moment, I am willing to 1000 my MS1i's after the positive experience I am having modding the sr60i's for sure, so distancers may be in my future.  I have a large block of solid bubinga, a drill press, and $60 burning a hole in my pocket to get some bimetal hole saws...

I tried the tape mod to my bowls, and find that it did increase the bottom end, but to me, it muddied the mids too - kind of darkened the whole presentation, reminded me of the Sennheiser sound (in my experience, not knocking them).

I pried the cups open again on the Grado's, and added blu-tack to the back of the driver, and closed them up using it too (had been using scotch tape to date, because I was opening them up frequently, and adding holes etc).

What is interesting to me, and pleasing, is how much better the Grado's sound now vs my stock Alessandro's.  A complete 180 as to my comparing the stock phones vs each other prior to modding.  For now the Grado's are the project, and I will get going on building slip on cups/bowls for them.  Once I complete those, I will move on to the Alessandro's, and see what I like in the end - modded 60's vs MS1000i's!

The bass is much better when I use my desktop setup, vs the iTouch as the source.  It was just easy to be downstairs with the phones and the tools, and the iTouch.

No major complaints with the bass, or the sound now on the Grado's, but will press on with the build.

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #1,524 of 8,992
Feb 20, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #1,526 of 8,992
I am in the middle of a cup modding and I hav to get the plastic sound chambers off the cups. In Bilavideos sr-60 mod thread there have been discussed a lot of different methods to do this, i came up with an easy one.

I used my sander to sand them of. I'm not sure what you call this sander in english, but directly translated from danish it's "plate sander".

It turned out perfectly and took about ten minutes.

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #1,527 of 8,992
Nice work, the drivers look like they came out very clean!

Didn't you have problems with melting plastic though? And what about flying bits of plastic that could find their way into the drivers themselves?

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #1,528 of 8,992
I'd be scared about dirt & vibrations damaging coil and systems...

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #1,529 of 8,992

I am in the middle of a cup modding and I hav to get the plastic sound chambers off the cups. In Bilavideos sr-60 mod thread there have been discussed a lot of different methods to do this, i came up with an easy one.

I used my sander to sand them of. I'm not sure what you call this sander in english, but directly translated from danish it's "plate sander".

Nicely done!  I salute your ingenuity!

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,530 of 8,992

Quote:

I see you took the Tim Allen approach....... 

Good job my man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back