post your grado mods....
Apr 19, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #556 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks awesome! Are they custom made?

Yup - accolades go to the artisan Eagleboy who made the cups and headband clamps from Lacewood, cupholder made of nickel-silver and recabled with Canard Star Quad with Neutrik connector. Headband was thanks to Fatman711.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #557 of 8,992
100_0497.jpg

My SR225's. Cups are Bird's Eye Maple from JMoney Audio. Recable was done with cryo treated Mogami 2534 Neglex, wrapped in black nylon sleeve, with a Neutrik NP3XB plug. The nylon was a pain to pull over the cable but I managed. This was my first Grado mod and it really cleaned up the highs and made the bass tighter. Sadly, this picture doesn't show how great these really look as my camera doesn't take good indoor pictures. I may post a new picture tomorrow when I can get some natural light.

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #558 of 8,992
So with the circumaural mods done here, does it increase isolation and reduce leaking? That's my main beef with Grado's. I have my hacked up 60's but I'm thinking about getting some 225's to mod but want to know before I sink the money.

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #559 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugrhigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So with the circumaural mods done here, does it increase isolation and reduce leaking? That's my main beef with Grado's. I have my hacked up 60's but I'm thinking about getting some 225's to mod but want to know before I sink the money.

I don't think there is any way to increase isolation and decrease leakage on any Grado to any significant degree. I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #560 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there is any way to increase isolation and decrease leakage on any Grado to any significant degree. I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

I know it wouldn't be to a significant degree but enough to not annoy the person next to you on a bus or hear everything they say lol

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #561 of 8,992
Quote:

I know it wouldn't be to a significant degree but enough to not annoy the person next to you on a bus or hear everything they say lol

Nope, not without killing the sound in very bad ways. You would want to look to AT ESW9s for a more isolating sound that is closer to Grados than most other closed cans I've heard. Perhaps the closed Senn HD25s or AKG K271s too.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #562 of 8,992
Quote:

If you have Grados, put on some Music and slowly move your hand towards the cups and listen.

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #563 of 8,992
I actually have been looking at the ESW9's but I love the Grado sound so I didn't know if the improvement would be that great

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #565 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^
jonathanjong, and surely others, should be able to do a comparison.
Someone might even have done it. Tried a search?

I'm not looking for a comparison really. I just didn't know if the Grado's would be mod-able to a more isolated setting while keeping the sound qualities we all love.

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #568 of 8,992
Quote:

I actually have been looking at the ESW9's but I love the Grado sound so I didn't know if the improvement would be that great

Well, the 60s are the most "closed in" of the series, the screening becomes more open as you go up the family. That's why most woodied 225s with new screens sound better than the stock cups.

I've never heard 60s, they were out of stock at the two dealers I had visited in the past, only got to demo 80s, 125s, 225s, 325s, and RS-1s. Once they return from Grado I'll have newly refurbished 125s, 325s, and RS-1s.

I'm considering buying SR80s for donor drivers to put in vintage Kenwood KH-33 vented cups since they have a blown driver so they'll be a great test for closing in a Grado driver. But, an easy way for you to do trials with your existing Grados is to buy some craft felt (pick a wild color if you want, it will be visible through the screen) and tape a couple of layers to the outside of the backs. Try to get it tight against the screen and use electrical tape so it will seal well but be easy to clean off the residue later if you like the sound. Then you can pull them apart and put the felt inside the cup against the screen. Keep adding layers until your satisfied with the level of leaking sound and isolation or the SQ goes to hell and you have to back off. If you're lucky, you'll get the level of isolation you want before the SQ goes south. Craft felt is just one kind of felt and there are hundreds of different felts and each has a unique effect on SQ, but that will at least be a quick, easy, and cheap way to get started. The other thing that us ortho guys use is Dynamat, so if the felt works but doesn't dampen enough, try a disc of Dynamat at the screen.

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #569 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see, but I think a headphone that's a little more isolated stock would be a safer bet.

Anyway, on with the mods.
It's the same as the one a few pages back, but I cleaned it up a little.
Still stock cable, just stripped down, 4-way braided and dressed up in "carbon" techflex.
Oh, Tom and Jin, I've got two sets of 225s
redface.gif

IMG_4838.jpg

great job. was this a diy? was it hard to do? i want to do the same to my ms1/2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back