post your grado mods....
Apr 23, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #7,726 of 8,992
I'm with you there as well, I finally had a chance to hear some REAL grados.

A local audio shop had everything up to the PS500E, the 60-125es weren't to impressive, I'd imagine a second hand 80e would a nice entry open back, if you wanted something warm
Sadly I skiped over the 225 and 325e
but I spent a lot of time with the RS2e and PS500e, the RS2E was really something special! An the PS 500E with gCrush pads was also interesting 

Frankly I'd proably get an RS2e for my self if I get the funds any time soon, it sounded about as wonderful as you've all described! I had my Nhoord Red V1 [@DavidA
] original build, and I can see why he liked them over that original. I'm throwing together my impressions from that day now to post here shortly, but I've got a GS2KE heading my way from Todd's loaner program [it's 4pin XLR terminated] so I'm curious to see how it compares to my HE 4 

Ohh no you skipped my favorite SR of all time.. the 225e!

I'm really glad you were able to hear the RS2e though. It's an awesome and probably one of my favorites of all time. I'd be scared to mod mine personally because I wouldn't want to mess up it's almost perfect sound. Maybe a cable mod would be good though.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #7,727 of 8,992
Ohh no you skipped my favorite SR of all time.. the 225e!

I'm really glad you were able to hear the RS2e though. It's an awesome and probably one of my favorites of all time. I'd be scared to mod mine personally because I wouldn't want to mess up it's almost perfect sound. Maybe a cable mod would be good though.

awwwww yea I did skip over the 225e, I have a feeling I'll be back though

Still I guess I should have gotten into their mid range line ish, to see how they compared to my Nhoords 
non the less yea man those RS2Es were REALLY awesome! I know some one here just did a Cable mod, check for his post he got his driver free without to much fuss it seems 

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #7,728 of 8,992
Hi Pepku,

It actually doesn't smell! I am sniffing my Grado now (don't hate) and it smells like Grado wood greatness! Just don't go bat-**** crazy on the vinegar and it should be okay.

​Wanted to work on my RS2e this morning, no vinegar, I only Japanese rice vinegar which I don't want to chance on the smell staying around, will go to the market to get some later this week.

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #7,729 of 8,992
Hello everybody-
Interesting new look. I have had some good interaction with many of you on these Grado related forums & need to ask a favor: Since one chapter of my life has wound down & a new one is starting, I have found myself on the other side of the US & without the tools I would be able to assemble / produce any new builds with. This means I cannot repair something so simple as a cable break (I feel so useless). Is there anybody in California who would be able to repair a cable break if I was to send the driver / cup / cable assembly. These are my StaR1's so, in return for taking on the task, if you do not have a pair (R1's) you would be welcome to demo them (in your own cups if you like– mine are made out of scrap that I had lying around). I have my original Ypsilon build & a new pair of 125e's to hold me over indefinitely, but I will miss the R1 sound sooner or later. I do not know all of you, but I'm sure I'd trust some of the more frequent / senior posters with these drivers. PM me or whatever...

Thanks

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #7,730 of 8,992
Hello everybody-
Interesting new look. I have had some good interaction with many of you on these Grado related forums & need to ask a favor: Since one chapter of my life has wound down & a new one is starting, I have found myself on the other side of the US & without the tools I would be able to assemble / produce any new builds with. This means I cannot repair something so simple as a cable break (I feel so useless). Is there anybody in California who would be able to repair a cable break if I was to send the driver / cup / cable assembly. These are my StaR1's so, in return for taking on the task, if you do not have a pair (R1's) you would be welcome to demo them (in your own cups if you like– mine are made out of scrap that I had lying around). I have my original Ypsilon build & a new pair of 125e's to hold me over indefinitely, but I will miss the R1 sound sooner or later. I do not know all of you, but I'm sure I'd trust some of the more frequent / senior posters with these drivers. PM me or whatever...

Thanks
I'm in Hawaii but if no one takes up your offer let me know and I can do the repairs for you, just pay for the shipping. I already have an R1 and original Ypsilon and have done a build with the S2 for a friend who happens to live in LA.

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #7,732 of 8,992
I have put up some ads, but I need a pair of either wood or stock cups, I'm in the UK. Had a guy offer some nice SR225 cups, but shipping from the states made it too expensive.

Let me know what you have, I'm in the process of modding my SR60's and stuffed up the cups, I am recabling and was going to replace the mesh and messed it up big time...

I'm using quarter modded HD414 pads but stuck the stock ones on for a picture before cracking them open,

9934981.jpg

Apr 29, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #7,733 of 8,992
Hi guys, I will be demoing these babies at Spirit Labs some time next week. Really curious how they sound, because they sure look gorgeous! Will post my impressions afterwards
WhatsApp Image 2017-04-29 at 18.44.03.jpeg

Apr 29, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #7,734 of 8,992
@matchbox man I'd love to hear the R1's but to be honest my cable skills are lacking to say the least! lol

My limited experience includes soldering/unsoldering cables to/from the drivers and reterminated the ends to rsa, 4 pin xlr, 3.5mm and 6.3mm jacks. Oh and I'm in Texas not in Cali :D

I'm sure your skills exceed mine... I'll have to get quotes for USPS / shipping. This does seem like a good opportunity to get more opinions about the R1's (& maybe some suggestions / critique of the cups too). Can you PM me the town / area where you get your mail?

Apr 30, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #7,735 of 8,992
Finally got around to my RS2e with removable cables using SMC connectors. Thanks to @edgarlim1999 for the vinegar suggestion, it made removing the drivers much easier than the first one I did. Here's a few pictures:
RS2e_drivers removed-2.jpg

RS2e_danish wood oil on one.jpg

Refinished the wood with oil since there were looking a little dried out. Also added some dynamat in the cups and it helps the bass a few dB.
RS2e_Refinished-SMC.jpg

The cheap G pads are now quite good with the RS2e

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #7,736 of 8,992
That sounds very very possible. I would not be surprised if your driver theory was correct.

So has anyone here actually heard the twin pulse by spirit labs? I was far too interested in it so I ended up talking to them and bought the twin pulse Ragnar edition :grin:

Very excited to hear it. Four e series Grado drivers in a nice aluminum shell with balanced cables. Interesting indeed.
Did you get the twin pulse from Spirit Labs? How do they sound? Really curious as I am considering them myself and I will have a chance to visit Spirit Labs and do a demo of their different cans as I will be in Italy next week!

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #7,737 of 8,992
Ready to be woodied, to liberate the drivers I just pushed the kinfe around the edges and it popped right out, less hassle than using a saw and snapping all the edges off:

IMG_20170430_142713_zps1x0riv4g.jpg

IMG_20170430_142938_zps7kga0wuq.jpg

Apr 30, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #7,738 of 8,992
Did you get the twin pulse from Spirit Labs? How do they sound? Really curious as I am considering them myself and I will have a chance to visit Spirit Labs and do a demo of their different cans as I will be in Italy next week!

YEP! Received them Friday afternoon. Super unique and fun sound thats for sure! I posted a pic of them in the Grado thread. They have the most bass by far of any Grado I have ever heard. I would say they are a slight V shaped sound signature from my listening. I think they are very fun with a nice wide soundstage (bigger than my RS2e for sure) but not a balanced or natural sound by any stretch haha Cable is much to long for my specific needs, but that is ok with me. Overall I think if you like a fun, V shaped sound with great bass presence and a wide soundstage then you'd be happy with them. Right now I have more fun listening to them than any of my other headphones.. thats for sure.

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #7,739 of 8,992
YEP! Received them Friday afternoon. Super unique and fun sound thats for sure! I posted a pic of them in the Grado thread. They have the most bass by far of any Grado I have ever heard. I would say they are a slight V shaped sound signature from my listening. I think they are very fun with a nice wide soundstage (bigger than my RS2e for sure) but not a balanced or natural sound by any stretch haha Cable is much to long for my specific needs, but that is ok with me. Overall I think if you like a fun, V shaped sound with great bass presence and a wide soundstage then you'd be happy with them. Right now I have more fun listening to them than any of my other headphones.. thats for sure.
Now you really got me curious pal! I'll check the Grado thread. Thanks!

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #7,740 of 8,992
Ready to be woodied, to liberate the drivers I just pushed the kinfe around the edges and it popped right out, less hassle than using a saw and snapping all the edges off:

IMG_20170430_142713_zps1x0riv4g.jpg

IMG_20170430_142938_zps7kga0wuq.jpg

I used a large coin and a bench clamp to gently press the drivers out, a little safer than using the knife and looks a lot cleaner on the edges.

Did you ever find the wood cups you were asking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back