post your grado mods....
Mar 7, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #7,576 of 8,988
I have a pair of 325 pink drivers that I was thinking about switching to wooden cups, what sound difference should I expect?
The aluminum cups are a little rough and the looks of the wooden cups is really the driving factor.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #7,577 of 8,988
Hmmm...tough to say for certain...

I didn't actually use my Grado drivers in my wooden cups (although that was the original plan).  I ended up buying new Magnum V.7's into my wooden cups.

I'm not sure if it's the drivers, the wooden cups or the combination of the two, but the sound is definitely less 'harsh'...a little quieter, and certainly more 'real', less saturated...

I hope that helps.

Adam

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #7,578 of 8,988
I have a pair of 325 pink drivers that I was thinking about switching to wooden cups, what sound difference should I expect?
The aluminum cups are a little rough and the looks of the wooden cups is really the driving factor.

I have 125i drivers in rosewood and I would characterize the sound as warmer. That might be a more pronounced difference going from aluminum. All good, by the way. Wouldn't go back after upgrading to wood!

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #7,579 of 8,988

I've put 225i and 225e drivers in wood cups and both times liked it much better than stock, all added dynamat in the cups and either sorbothane or dynamat on the back of the drivers to clean up the sound

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #7,580 of 8,988

Depends on the wood you use, here's a thread that will give you an idea of what you can expect using North American tone wood.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/686212/the-great-grado-experiment-4-tonewoods-tested-more-to-come

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #7,581 of 8,988
I have some Cherry and Walnut in stock so I might try both.
I also have popular and have enjoyed a pair with Magnum V7 from Symphones.
As a matter of fact, the popular with V7s are my goto headphones.

Thanks for the info...

Take care

-retox

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #7,583 of 8,988
  bought some various synthetic leathers, so the plan is im going to DIY a headband that also fits the extra cable for single entry. I'm quite handy but sewing isn't my primary skill :D

please post some pictures after you complete the headband, would love to see how it looks

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #7,588 of 8,988
I understand, I tried making leather earpads and headbands in the past and it didn't turn out that great. I ended up using glue as my sewing was crap.

It's hard! Well i might give up on the headband thing and focus on some wood cups or some other mods. I think the next step is to do something about the cable situation and get some shaft locks or whatever they are called. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #7,589 of 8,988
  Thank you! However when looking up close it's not all that pretty to be honest. It was much harder than i first anticipated :D

If they are not that pretty then you are a great photographer since they look pretty good in the pictures
beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #7,590 of 8,988
Going in on a full Sennheiser HD25II / Grado SR325 Mod... Also, going to strip powder coat and polish the Aluminum on grado for final finish... Need recommendations on lambskin doughnut pads.. going to use for Dj'ing mostly unless they perform properly within the studio! I have already converted the cable top a red style 1/4".... going to swithch the drivers this weekend. (Ugh, Ive done so much research on people using the HD25II driver for a Grado SR325 mod driver and NOONE HAS PINCHED AT IT!!!.... IM GOING TO DO IT!
I prefer full sound structure!
BASS< MIDS< AND TREBLE!!!!
fully on board!!
Goin In..... 
o2smile.gif

deadhorse.gif

If there is something I do not know before executing this mod, PLEASE..... come forth and explain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back