post your grado mods....
Jan 18, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #7,546 of 8,992
  I'm trying to do a removable cable modification for my SR80, what size of wire do I need to use inside? the red and white one and what is the purpose of the blue wire?

Red=right (+)
White=left (+)
Blue=ground

I've been using either 26 or 28 gauge SPC for most of my wiring in the cups when doing removable cable mods for my Grado or custom Ypsilon/Nhoord builds

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #7,547 of 8,992
Greetings from Spain.

Quote:
  Red=right (+)
White=left (+)
Blue=ground

I've been using either 26 or 28 gauge SPC for most of my wiring in the cups when doing removable cable mods for my Grado or custom Ypsilon/Nhoord builds

Be careful, Grado´s cable colours: 

Red + , blue - .... Left channel
White + ,  blue - ... Right channel

The normal thing is used colour red for right channel and other colour (black, blue, etc...) for left channel.

Cheers!!
C.K.

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #7,548 of 8,992

The normal thing is used colour red for right channel and other colour (black, blue, etc...) for left channel.

There is no clear industry standard.

I've see white used for right (vintage AKG springs to mind).
Old Philips headphones are especially ambiguous.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #7,549 of 8,992

Be careful, Grado´s cable colours: 

Red + , blue - .... Left channel
White + ,  blue - ... Right channel

Cheers!!
C.K.

Agree, I've seen the wires done both ways on a few Grado's that I've rewired so as long as you keep it consistent it not a problem.

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #7,550 of 8,992
Also posted this in the Nhoord thread but figured some might not see it there:

Just slapped together a build with the newer Nhoord driver but in mahogany vs the old one was in rosewood.  The new version seem a little more dynamic, bass a little deeper and the mids a bit more forward and the highs seem a little more crisp, going from memory since my original Nhoord build is being borrowed by a friend.  One thing I noticed is that is seems to be less efficient, have to turn up the volume a little higher than I remember but it does sound pretty good on first listen without any burn-in time, not like the Ypsilon S2 which gets better after about 20-25 hours.

Still need to go back and mount the SMC connector in the cups and use wood filler to cover up the open slot

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #7,551 of 8,992
Hey everyone...I'm a big fan of all your work.  I am new to the head-fi / Grado modding world, but I've been quietly lurking for months.  First time poster here...

I'm really interested in modding my Grado SR60's with some wooden cups.  I can't really seem to find anyone who makes them or sells them online, for a reasonable price.  I'm looking to spend about $100...maybe that's not reasonable?

I'd love any advice about wooden cups (do they really make a difference, any wood type to avoid or look for)? 

Thanks,

Acro

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #7,552 of 8,992
  Hey everyone...I'm a big fan of all your work.  I am new to the head-fi / Grado modding world, but I've been quietly lurking for months.  First time poster here...

I'm really interested in modding my Grado SR60's with some wooden cups.  I can't really seem to find anyone who makes them or sells them online, for a reasonable price.  I'm looking to spend about $100...maybe that's not reasonable?

I'd love any advice about wooden cups (do they really make a difference, any wood type to avoid or look for)? 

Thanks,

Acro

Hi Arco,
the places to get wood cups that I've used are:
http://www.ellevenacoustica.com/products
http://turbulentlabs.com/
http://www.rholupat.com/products?page=2
https://www.etsy.com/shop/YewWoodworks?ref=listing-shop2-all-items-count#items

There are some on these thread that build their own, hope one of them will also post here.

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #7,553 of 8,992
Thanks for the links...

I should mention I'm in Canada.
The ellevenacoustica seemed a bit steep for my wallet.  I contacted Turbulent last week, they haven't responded.  I put in an email to rholupat, waiting for a response about the cost of shipping from Indonesia to Canada.  I've talked to Clint too at YewWoodworks.  Very helpful guy, but I was hoping to get the cups for a little cheaper.  I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of these websites?  How happy are you with their work?  Turn around times?

I am talking to another member who has contacted me via PM...fingers crossed I can find something.  I appreciate all the help so far!

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #7,554 of 8,992
  Thanks for the links...

The ellevenacoustica seemed a bit steep for my wallet.  I contacted Turbulent last week, they haven't responded.  I put in an email to rholupat, waiting for a response about the cost of shipping from Indonesia to Canada.  I've talked to Clint too at YewWoodworks.  Very helpful guy, but I was hoping to get the cups for a little cheaper.  I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of these websites?  How happy are you with their work?  Turn around times?

I am talking to another member who has contacted me via PM...fingers crossed I can find something.  I appreciate all the help so far!

That gawddamn weak looonie!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #7,555 of 8,992
  Thanks for the links...

I've ordered from all of them, the shipping to the US is about $10-15 but depends on what I order and can get here as fast as 2 weeks to as long as 2 months (think it was long due to x-mas rush).
The cheapest is from Rolupat for cups, pretty much the same ones as from Turbulent.  Most times as soon as they are in stock you have to order, I've waited a few days and they sell out quickly from both vendors.  The Elleven Acoustica cups are the best constructed / finished of all the cups I've gotten but it might take a month and a half.  YewWoodWorks is the currently the most costly, they used to be quite reasonable a few years ago but the workmanship is quite good.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #7,556 of 8,992
Awesome...that's just the kind of information I was looking for.  Thanks David.  I'm still crossing my fingers that someone on this form has an old pair kicking around that they'd like to get rid of, or that someone is interested in making a set for around $100.

I appreciate your insight David...All other advice is welcomed!

Too true about our damn loonie!

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #7,559 of 8,992
Hey everyone, recently I've modded my 9yr+ old pair of SR80i, thought I'd share here.

Striped rosewood cups:

Liberating the drivers were a bit hard, I ended up having to file and sand the driver housing themselves as it wasn't a clean job:

Completed, with a generic 70mm sized pleather earpads:

With 100mm velour earpads, held together by foamboards that I cut:

Still waiting for the headbands that I ordered from Turbulent Labs to arrived :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back