post your grado mods....
Apr 20, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #6,241 of 8,992
You guys sure have beautiful cans! I never thought about modding my MS1 but man after reading this thread the urge is slowly creeping up on me.

So far, the plan is to:

1. Line the insides of the cup with felt
2. Mass load the back of the driver (starving student here, would something like Play-Doh work?)
3. Close off 1 of the bass holes
3. Get a set of wooden cups

By the way, anyone know where I can get woodies for a reasonable price?

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #6,242 of 8,992

1. Line the insides of the cup with felt
2. Mass load the back of the driver (starving student here, would something like Play-Doh work?)
3. Close off 1 of the bass holes
3. Get a set of wooden cups

1 - maybe don't bother with this step - it has an affect of reducing soundstage and separation, causing a slightly congested sound.
2 - Play-doh could work, but blue-tack or plasticine would be better.
3 - If you want more treble.... oookay 

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #6,243 of 8,992
  1 - maybe don't bother with this step - it has an affect of reducing soundstage and separation, causing a slightly congested sound.

2 - Dont use Play-Doh... It will eventually dry out and crumble all over your drivers... I have had blue tak for years without problem.

dgcrane

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #6,244 of 8,992

2 - Dont use Play-Doh... It will eventually dry out and crumble all over your drivers... I have had blue tak for years without problem.

dgcrane

Don't need to tell me that 
confused.gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #6,246 of 8,992
These are the same headbands as you guys state earlier . 
the same person make it.
the first batch is darker brown compare to second batch.
the second batch is lighter and a bit more buttery on the leather.

Regards,
JayTee189

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #6,247 of 8,992

Well, the MS1e's bass sounds a bit loose and boomy to my ears when compared to the DT880. Its sound signature is actually closer to the RS1e. Anyways, thanks for the tips! Not sure if I can find blue-tac in my area, but I'll look around.

dgcrane

Thank you for the advice! Would've completely ruined my cans if I didn't ask here beforehand.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #6,253 of 8,992
Going through this whole thread (backwards, again) has given me the desire to mod my Grados.

Have some supplies ordered and incoming, but I have a question.

I want to recable them in addition to other mods I'm going to do (having Clint over at YewWoodworks turn some cups for me) and I have a question about the cable.

The stock SR225i has an 8 strand cable, and I want to stick with that; but I'm not sure how to braid it.  I can do 4, but I've never tried 8.

For those that have done an 8 strand round braid, is this the proper method?  If not, is there a link somewhere to an easy to follow tutorial?  The one posted seems easy enough to follow and should be easy enough to replicate after I get the 2 4 strand braids to the right length, but I want to make sure it's right.

Additionally, I'm going to do this myself but for comparison sake can someone who has an 8 strand braid (preferably one sleeved in type-1 paracord) measure the diameter of the finished braid?  Just want to see how big it's going to be (I know it's going to mostly be down to braiding technique, just want a comparison).

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #6,254 of 8,992
those headbands are fantastic....great job.

If you sell them....I am sure some guys on this forum would be interested.  
wink_face.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #6,255 of 8,992
Hey there modders!

As someone who has tried several different adhesives when assembling a variety of my builds, I thought I'd share one I stumbled onto that I really like.

Elmers pro bond advance glue!

Goes on white but dries clear. Very strong in adhering metal, wood, and plastics. Not to mention it's weatherproof. I like it much better than hot glue even though the dry time is a little longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back