post your grado mods....
Mar 6, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #6,151 of 8,988
guys i'm asking for suggestion.. i just build my first magnum driver and i don't know what type of wood i should get.. recently out of my doubt i just bought the swamp ash one since i know its been used a lot in guitars but i don't know how it sound cause my driver have not even arrived yet..

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #6,152 of 8,988
I've never used Swamp Ash myself but this is what I found on Guitarplayer.

Best known as the wood of classic ’50s Fender guitars, ash is most desirable in the form of swamp ash—wood taken from the lower portions of southern-grown wetland trees that have root systems growing below water level. Good swamp ash is both light and resonant, and generally carries a broad grain that looks great under a translucent finish. The swamp-ash sound is twangy, airy, and sweet. It offers firm lows, pleasant highs, a slightly scooped midrange, and good sustain.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #6,153 of 8,988
  I've never used Swamp Ash myself but this is what I found on Guitarplayer.

Best known as the wood of classic ’50s Fender guitars, ash is most desirable in the form of swamp ash—wood taken from the lower portions of southern-grown wetland trees that have root systems growing below water level. Good swamp ash is both light and resonant, and generally carries a broad grain that looks great under a translucent finish. The swamp-ash sound is twangy, airy, and sweet. It offers firm lows, pleasant highs, a slightly scooped midrange, and good sustain.

oh man i get excited when guitars come up
an old swamp ash strat is the stuff of legends
should give a bright sound to the grados

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #6,158 of 8,988
Mar 17, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #6,159 of 8,988
yeah I saw this. didn't want to spend more than $30 for two drivers but maybe that's the going rate?

Hey... I'm on the opposite boat... I have 60i drivers but need the outer cups to complete my build.  If you decide to get those, I'll gladly split the cost with you... basically buy the outer cups from you.

thanks... feel free to shoot me a PM.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #6,160 of 8,988
  Hey... I'm on the opposite boat... I have 60i drivers but need the outer cups to complete my build.  If you decide to get those, I'll gladly split the cost with you... basically buy the outer cups from you.

thanks... feel free to shoot me a PM.

aw, crap. i just looked at the pics of the ebay pair and the drivers themselves look fine, but the housing for the drivers has been cut away. not what i want/need...okay if you're going to use just the drivers to put inside new housings, but not something i want to do with sr60 drivers. was hoping for an unadulterated housing/driver combo. so in the end, i think i'll pass on the ebay one...

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #6,161 of 8,988
Not a mod but a fix, did a quick search & didn't see any photos of this.   Got these years ago for a good deal because of loose/intermittent connection in one of the cups.  While expanding the C retainer to perform the fix it snapped (of course:) where the plastic side pin is.
Used a miter saw with a fine blade to carefully(!) trim a slice off a 2" PVC coupler (using gloves, glasses, holding PVC w/vice-grip etc.), filed the piece & used old black screws from screw jar to attach.

Works great, perhaps even stronger than original hardware.  Had planned to paint the piece black someday but kinda like the ghetto look & its easier to ID the left earcup now:)
Pretty obvious fix but again didn't find any other photos of it around.  All safety caveats apply, do @ your own risk, having all 10 fingers is nice, etc.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #6,162 of 8,988
  Not a mod but a fix, did a quick search & didn't see any photos of this.   Got these years ago for a good deal because of loose/intermittent connection in one of the cups.  While expanding the C retainer to perform the fix it snapped (of course:) where the plastic side pin is.
Used a miter saw with a fine blade to carefully(!) trim a slice off a 2" PVC coupler (using gloves, glasses, holding PVC w/vice-grip etc.), filed the piece & used old black screws from screw jar to attach.

Works great, perhaps even stronger than original hardware.  Had planned to paint the piece black someday but kinda like the ghetto look & its easier to ID the left earcup now:)
Pretty obvious fix but again didn't find any other photos of it around.  All safety caveats apply, do @ your own risk, having all 10 fingers is nice, etc.

Great job!

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #6,163 of 8,988
It's been a minute since I worked on my grados but I wanted to replace the plastic cups. Alu inners will be coming soon - I just ran out of time and got anxious so I put them back together with the plastic inners

next to the wood magnums :)

I haven't listened to them much but I'll give impressions when I go full aluminum. Also, I may end up blasting and anodizing them but I have no idea how much that costs... anybody done that before? Besides looking cool, it'll be nice to not get scratches all over them.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back