post your grado mods....
Sep 28, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #7,456 of 8,992

Is that a custom ImpactAudioCable?

I'll be putting together my build soon, just need to decide on the cable.

Built the cable my self, Mogami 2893, sleeved with paracord, splitter is from Double-Helix, SMC on the headphone side and combo 3.5mm with screw on 6.3mm.

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #7,457 of 8,992

Quote:

Pics?

I have heard much weeping and wailing over attempted RS1 re-cables. It takes a high level of skill to extract the drivers without damaging them or the cups...

I did re-cable a friends RS2e but only took one picture:

It takes a lot of time (about 2 hours per side) to remove the driver since you need to be careful when cutting away the glue used (seems like a latex wood glue), used a thin craft knife and changed the blade 3 times for each side.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #7,458 of 8,992
  Built the cable my self, Mogami 2893, sleeved with paracord, splitter is from Double-Helix, SMC on the headphone side and combo 3.5mm with screw on 6.3mm.

nice job!

build you're own cables its not that hard (diy or die)

Just finished this:

First impressions compared to the ypsilon, a bit warmer, highs are not as extended, more forgiving of subpar recordings.  Will let then play for a while before judging them again.

the nhoord has become my daily driver exactly for that reason

Pics?

I have heard much weeping and wailing over attempted RS1 re-cables. It takes a high level of skill to extract the drivers without damaging them or the cups...

don't think i have the guts to try an RS1 recable
is the only way to cut the glue out, i wonder if there's a way to soften or melt the glue
i've heard of using steam to remove a guitar neck, probably ruin the drivers....
i just know if i use my old grados enough they're gonna crap out at the y split 

made this one out of silicone wire stuff is bulletproof

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #7,460 of 8,992

Grado RS-1i completely recabled with 20 feet of Cardas. The guy who did the recabling did a swell job of it but this is a mod that is not recommended for the average tinkerer. There is some risk that the wooden bodies will sustain damage in the ungluing and/or reassembly phase...

Pics?

The headphones look and sound stellar and anyone would be hard-pressed to tell that they were not factory modded. The guy who modded them was a woodworker and an audiophile who seemed pretty confident in his abilities and about how to dis-assemble the wooden cups without damaging them. All I really know is, the operation was a success...

I'll post some pics soon so stay tuned. 

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #7,463 of 8,992
Did some comparisons to other headphones:

L to R: ypsilon, woody 225i, modded 225e, RS2e, Nhoord

Ypsilon: best range and most balanced from bass to highs, most fun to listen to

Woody 225i: smooth highs, not quite up to the RS2e but close, bass is better than RS2e, wood cups + dynamat + sorbothane really improve the stock 225i

225e (dynamat + sorbothane + felt): great mids but a touch to forward at times, highs are extended without being harsh, great sound stage compared to the ypsilon & nhoord but still short of RS2e

RS2e: smoothest mids and highs, bass does not go as low like the ypsilon, nhoord or woody 225i but best sound stage

Nhoord: a touch behind the ypsilon in range, highs are not as present or extended as the other 4

All are quite good and it comes down to what your preferences are.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #7,464 of 8,992
Just a quick question, for those who tried a closed mod for their grado drivers, how did you find the sound change?

I accidentally bought an extra pair of Ypsilon drivers, so I'm thinking of getting a portable closed back wooden frame for it, so I can either use it on the go, or in my office.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #7,465 of 8,992
Just a quick question, for those who tried a closed mod for their grado drivers, how did you find the sound change?

I accidentally bought an extra pair of Ypsilon drivers, so I'm thinking of getting a portable closed back wooden frame for it, so I can either use it on the go, or in my office.

I tried a closed SR60 it sounded horrible, PX100 drivers sounded great closed but you need leather earpads. TLM said the Ypsilon drivers sounded good closed but didn't elaborate.

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #7,467 of 8,992
My Grado Mod...( Don't know if I should call it Grado now lol).

At the beginning:

Completed:

It sounds amazing
very_evil_smiley.gif

The soundstage is wider, bass is fuller/rounder and vocal imaging is more precise.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #7,469 of 8,992
  @Audioholic123, how did you mate the 325 to the 990 cups?  Got any pictures, seems like a really interesting build

Well I knew that the 990's had removable plastic discs underneath it's drivers and that they would be the key to achieve what I wanted to do.

Firstly I carefully cut out the grille on the outside of the 990's cups using my handy pocket knife, then I was able to access and pop-out the plastic disc.
I placed the Grado on each plastic disc and (using my pocket knife) marked their circumference to cut out 2 holes so that the Grado's can fit in place.

Here is one of the all-important plastic discs:

Finally I pressed the disc's back inside the headphone and fit the Grado's into the hole's.
They are now solidly in place:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back