Post pics of your builds....
Jan 8, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #1,756 of 9,811
I previously posted pictures of a Millett that I built for Beaglepod. Here are pictures of my own Millett. It has Diamond Buffers and uses a STEPS. It's mounted in a Par-Metal 20 series case. The tube guards are drawer handles from Home Depot.

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #1,757 of 9,811
PCM2702 type USB DAC housed in a solid marble pyramid. Now my computer finally makes music, and looks cool doing it!
cool.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #1,758 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gontran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PCM2702 type USB DAC housed in a solid marble pyramid. Now my computer finally makes music, and looks cool doing it!
cool.gif

No way! Love the marble look! So 90's!

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #1,759 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gontran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool.gif

Man, that is so damn cool...
blink.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #1,762 of 9,811
The base of The Mystic DAC is covered with a felt pad (made from blessed camel pubes...
wink.gif
) but here are pix of the first pyramid I broke while learning to sculpt marble with a chisel and dremel.

Here is the board (from a previous post)

usbdac01btu4.jpg

usbdac02ao7.jpg

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #1,764 of 9,811
Thats a nice looking build! How long did it take you to build one kklee? Maybe in the future you can setup a small meet to let other Vancouver members hear this build and others you have made too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kklee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I previously posted pictures of a Millett that I built for Beaglepod. Here are pictures of my own Millett. It has Diamond Buffers and uses a STEPS. It's mounted in a Par-Metal 20 series case. The tube guards are drawer handles from Home Depot.

Jan 12, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #1,765 of 9,811
A rather early post in this thread (post #71, in page 4) shows the first enclosure work I did for my Dynahi. Never thought it would take me more than two years and 85 more pages in this thread before I could submit pics of the new enclosure work.

My Dynahi remained stored in a storage unit for most of these past two years. Got it back this past summer, took it to a FL meet, sold the enclosure to Flecom on the spot, and brought my enclosureless Dynahi with me. Right now finally building the two separate enclosures, one for the power supplies and one for the main boards.

Given the total lack of any decent aluminum enclosures locally, I decided to use wood to build the enclosures, using aluminum tape and screening to cover the inside walls and make it a Faraday cage. (This aluminum lining not only looks like a duct-tape approach, it is some sort of a duct tape approach, but honestly I like it
tongue.gif
) Here a few pics:

My dynahi main boards module, and the drilled base of the wooden enclosure:

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_001.jpg

Base covered with aluminum tape:

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_002.jpg

Holes cleared:

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_003.jpg

Aluminum screening applied:

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_004.jpg

Boards module on the base:

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_005.jpg

Inside of top lid covered in aluminum already:

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_006.jpg

Top lid and base ready:

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_009.jpg

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_008.jpg

And here is something else I decided to do. Had an idle heatsink, so decided to build a heatsink "extension", if I may call it that way.

Here's a copper sheet, the extra heatsink, and my original Dynahi boards module in the back:

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_011.jpg

Folded the copper sheet onto itself two times (so it's 4x as thick as the original sheet). Removed one of the original heatsinks from the boards module to attach this copper belt to it. The white stuff is heatsink compound:

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_012.jpg

And here's the heatsink extension finished and installed:

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_014.jpg

Here's the boards module installed and closed, with power, input signal, and headphone out wires ready:
dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_013.jpg

[EDIT]Pics taken two months later, after finishing an improved heatsink extension:[/img]

heatsink_extension_001.jpg

heatsink_extension_002.jpg

[/EDIT]

More pics soon when hopefully I'll have finished the two enclosures. They will be basically identical except for the controls. The final look will be very much like this with the top in black, and without the little wooden brick under the faceplate:

Dynahi_PSU_enclosure.jpg

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #1,770 of 9,811
OPA2134U from Burr Brown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back