Portable amp for LCD2
Jun 1, 2011 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 129

edvardd

100+ Head-Fier
(Edit) Here you can discuss views about portable amps that go well and perhaps not so well with LCD2. Are there some amps that have better synergy with LCD2?

Some suggested amps

-Ray Samuels Sr-71b
-Ibasso PB1/2
-Justin AudioUHA-120
-Justin Audio AHA-120
-Meir CORDA 2STEPDANCE(coming in june)
-Lisa 3

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 129
Sr-71b according to head Fi tv gives desktop like performance. Wide soundstage in balanced mode. My LCD-2's arrive Monday. I have single ended sr71a and will post impressions then. I'll test with 2 dacs as well. MsII+ and anedio d1 for an affordable to entry reference level dac comparison.
Recabling lcd-2 with Alo 2nd best cable (the best doesn't offer 1/8 plug). I forget model name.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 129
Has anyone used something like the Udac2 or HDP for the LCD-2?

Udac2 was my first dac with my hd650's and they sounded ok but not great. Too entry level for LCD-2 i'd imagine. MsII+ sounded so much better.

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 129
Jun 3, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 129

Has anybody try it with Mustang or not(wait for my LCD-2 to). I use Mustang with my entire headphone and result is very good musical feeling but not large soundstage. May be my next step is [size=8.0pt]Sr-71b[/size].

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 129
I think that's a staple of the single ended rsa portables. Small soundstage. However the overall sound of Ray's portables outweighs the soundstage issue for most RSA fans.

Headfonia Mike actually prefers the single ended sound, but had to admit that if you prefer a wider soundstage, the sr71b was the way to go. Bass is stronger too. Sounds like a portable match made in hifi heaven for the lcd-2.

I love my sr-71a and plan to keep it for single ended use (sr71b apparently doesn't do single ended quite as well as the 71a according to Headfonia),  but I'm pretty sure I'm going to add an sr-71b within the next few months. Or I may save up for the liquid fire desktop amp that the lcd-2 people are raving about. But that's another topic (and tax bracket)  :)

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 129
Oh, and don't forget the sr71b uses the protector plug so you have to factor in a new cable or have your old cable re-terminated with the protector proprietary plug. But then again, any balanced amp is gonna require 3 or 4 pin xlr, so it costs either way. The slight difference is the "proprietary" aspect of the protector plug. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #14 of 129
I thought that perhaps many people had this topic in mind but there was no actuall thread about 

Kevinwolff, I have MS2+ too so I would be very interested in hearing about you future adventure into portable amps.

I think I'll wait a bit until I buy another portable amp for LCD2. sounds quite clear and full sounding, and the soundstage is ok but not great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back