Places to try headphones in Montreal, Quebec?
Feb 17, 2011 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

propiro98

New Head-Fier
Like I mention in this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/540138/headphones-with-detachable-wire#post_7284248)

I'm looking for a set of headphones that meet my criteria and I was wondering where the best places to try these products in Montreal? The best buys and future shops here mostly carry the popular brands, JVC, Sony, Skull Candy, Beats... 

What i'm looking for...

1. Under 350$ 
  2. Overhead (Noise cancelling can be an option) 
  3. detachable wire (Unless you believe there are sets that can last the test of time)
  4. Using them on the road (to & from school/work on public transport)

and these are the options I was given so far, which I would like to look into more.
  1. M-audio Q40
  2. AKG K702
  3. sennheiser hd25
  4. shure srh840
  5. B&W P5
  6. Ultrasone DJ1 PRO 
  7. AIAIAI TMA-1
  8. AKG K271 MK II
  9. HD600/HD650
  10. Ultrasone Pro 750

Thanks for your help!

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 6
As for your choices, I recommend a small (read supra-aural), closed headphone. The Sennheiser HD25 is a regular recommendation around here, but I personally use a Beyer T50p (I like the speed and resolution. There is also a new, more balanced version for studio use, the DT 1350 I believe). I also used to have a ATH-ESW9, but it's only good for vocals IMHO.

However, none of these have detachable cables. The headphones that do tend to be large and relatively unsuited for portable use. I have the Shure SRH-840, but it is so loose on my head that it would eventualy fall down when walking or looking down.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 6
Here are two that I know of:
Layton Audio on St Catherines has a bunch of Grados, Sennheisers and Shures
Moog Audio on St Laurent has Ultrasone, Sennheiser, AIAIAI and Audio-Techina, they also have a website will all their stuff: www.moogaudio.ca

I'm not sure if the HD600/650 belong on your list, if you just look at a picture of them they really are the complete opposite of noise cancelling/public transportable

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 6
You should most [size=11.0pt]definitely [/size]check out Audioshop (http://www.audioshop.qc.ca/frContacte.html) on rue De La Montagne, which is right beside the Bell center.
They've got a surprising amount of headphones from the likes of Denon, Stax, Beyers, Grado and Senn.

You've also got Italmelodie on Jean-Talon East. They got some pretty good stuff, mostly headphones for recording and DJing.

I suggest you scratch off the k702 off your list as well. They are way too big to be used in public. Not to mention they leak sound and require a hefty amp.

If you are going to Montreal during this weekend (April 2rd or 3nd), you might as well go to the "Salon de Son et de l'Image", an expo on hi-fi audio/video equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back