Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jul 28, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #13,141 of 37,778
I will for sure in the thread discussing the firmware... 

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #13,142 of 37,778
Need to sort a decent short usb cable out but you get the idea....

iPhone 5.
Teac HA-50p.
Sennheiser Amperior.

Toxic Cables White Widow.
Teac HR App.

The Poems.

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #13,143 of 37,778

:)

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #13,144 of 37,778

smily_headphones1.gif

How are the Shures in balanced VS unbalanced?
I don't understand the idea behind the Protector, being a balanced amp without an balanced input. Am I alone here?

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #13,145 of 37,778
I don't understand the idea behind the Protector, being a balanced amp without an balanced input. Am I alone here?

Probably some kind of phase splitter inside?

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #13,146 of 37,778

Probably some kind of phase splitter inside?

Running them balanced yields a greater soundstage and better imaging/separation. I'd put it at a 30% improvement over SE as it's fairly noticeable.

And yes there's a phase splitter.  

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #13,147 of 37,778

Running them balanced yields a greater soundstage and better imaging/separation. I'd put it at a 30% improvement over SE as it's fairly noticeable.

Interesting, I wonder how a balanced input would further improve the sound, for example with the Lightning, Intruder or Emmeline SR71B..

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #13,148 of 37,778
  Interesting, I wonder how a balanced input would further improve the sound, for example with the Lightning, Intruder or Emmeline SR71B..

Larry has the Lightning, he tested it with balanced in and SE in. He didn't notice much of a difference if I recall correctly. 

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #13,149 of 37,778

Running them balanced yields a greater soundstage and better imaging/separation. I'd put it at a 30% improvement over SE as it's fairly noticeable.

Originally Posted by BaTou069 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by Pepito /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
Larry has the Lightning, he tested it with balanced in and SE in. He didn't notice much of a difference if I recall correctly. 

That is interesting. The reason being is that at least in my experience, I find that BA's tend to benefit little (but not none) from balancing vs say dynamic drivers. Maybe it's the kind of BAs I own vs the SE846?

In fact, with my my former CLAS -dB/RxMk3 setup (now I have the CLAS -dB/Duet), I  find balancing on the backend IC to yield more significant changes than balancing the BA IEM cables. Of course having both would be the most beneficial - so doing various SE vs balanced cable combinations was purely for testing. I haven't tried the same test for DD-based earphones yet.

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #13,150 of 37,778

That is interesting. The reason being is that at least in my experience, I find that BA's tend to benefit little (but not none) from balancing vs say dynamic drivers. Maybe it's the kind of BAs I own vs the SE846?

In fact, with my my former CLAS -dB/RxMk3 setup (now I have the CLAS -dB/Duet), I  find balancing on the backend IC to yield more significant changes than balancing the BA IEM cables. Of course having both would be the most beneficial - so doing various SE vs balanced cable combinations was purely for testing. I haven't tried the same test for DD-based earphones yet.

Hmm that is also interesting. There are a few members on the 846 thread who acquired a balanced RSA setup and they all agreed that there was noticeable improvement.

I wish I had an RSA lightning and a balanced source to test...

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #13,151 of 37,778

Hmm that is also interesting. There are a few members on the 846 thread who acquired a balanced RSA setup and they all agreed that there was noticeable improvement.

I wish I had an RSA lightning and a balanced source to test...

You could get the RSA Intruder and use it as a DAC. So no need for a balanced source :)
Of course I have no Idea how this DAC is/sounds

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #13,153 of 37,778

If your BA IEMs behave better with balanced out that might something to do with impedance matching.

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #13,154 of 37,778
Im so excited thus Im just posting pics of my new toy without any digital transport yet...

Just got the last unit at Jaben today during lunch hour. Now it is charging, cant wait to use it tonight! But Im flying off for work morrow morning and only be back next week......sighs....

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #13,155 of 37,778
  Im so excited thus Im just posting pics of my new toy without any digital transport yet...

Just got the last unit at Jaben today during lunch hour. Now it is charging, cant wait to use it tonight! But Im flying off for work morrow morning and only be back next week......sighs....

Each of us all knowing the feeling in the 1st few hours of ownership with a new gadget...enjoy.  Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back