Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jan 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #9,301 of 37,632
  How are the ASG-2? I have been put off Aurisonic after trying the ASG-1's... I am however interested in the possibilities of hybrid IEM's.

I'm really enjoying them was using umx3 and they sound a bit tighter sound wise and the soundstage is certainly a bit larger, only had them a few days so time will tell

I'm hoping to try out a toxic cable with them soon

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #9,302 of 37,632
Literally just got my CLAS in the mail + a free ALO Copper digital USB From seller :D. Very, very excited!

Sennheiser Momentums > C&C BH2 > Stock mini to mini > SOLO original > ALO Copper Digital USB > ipod classic 120gb.

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #9,303 of 37,632
  Literally just got my CLAS in the mail + a free ALO Copper digital USB From seller :D. Very, very excited!

Sennheiser Momentums > C&C BH2 > Stock mini to mini > SOLO original > ALO Copper Digital USB > ipod classic 120gb.

Not bad at all for a first Headphile rig!
I remember when I first joined here as harbinja ( my first profile, now merged with this one ) I had a pair of JVC airbuds.
Then I moved up to an iPod nano and my first set of iGrado's.
A few months later I added a Cmoy "Altoids" tin amp.
Ive come a long way since then but I shall stop blabbering and let you enjoy your very respectable first step into the hobby :) 

p.s. As Rudi has said to me time and time again, When you upgrade later on, DO NOT get rid of your SOLO original. 
They're a damned good source even up against the balanced ones.  

Paul :)

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #9,304 of 37,632
Hey Paul,

I've got a quick question that I'd gladly take any advice on.  So now that I've added the SOLO its really tempting to make the leap for ALO's Mk3, its also quite tempting to upgrade my interconnect which is stock to an ALO copper or silver cable. Both of those are fairly expensive items so I'm trying to determine where best to put my cash for improvement in SQ. Any thoughts?

Also, I've been starting to look at possibly getting a new set of cans later this year, however I want to stick with a closed design and full-sized models as I'll wear them in transit, in the office, etc. IEMs are not something I'm terribly interested in at the moment and although I love a good set of open cans, I'll probably hold off on those until I've got a solid desktop rig.  It is pretty unclear to me what closed-back headphones would be a significant upgrade over my momentums. Any thoughts on that either?

Thanks!

(any other hi-fi'ers with advice/opinions/insight, please come forward too :) )

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #9,305 of 37,632
I'll also be sure to keep my hands on my SOLO :), got it for a steal and it looks built to last for a very long time even if I do ever get another portable DAC. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #9,306 of 37,632
  Hey Paul,

I've got a quick question that I'd gladly take any advice on.  So now that I've added the SOLO its really tempting to make the leap for ALO's Mk3, its also quite tempting to upgrade my interconnect which is stock to an ALO copper or silver cable. Both of those are fairly expensive items so I'm trying to determine where best to put my cash for improvement in SQ. Any thoughts?

Also, I've been starting to look at possibly getting a new set of cans later this year, however I want to stick with a closed design and full-sized models as I'll wear them in transit, in the office, etc. IEMs are not something I'm terribly interested in at the moment and although I love a good set of open cans, I'll probably hold off on those until I've got a solid desktop rig.  It is pretty unclear to me what closed-back headphones would be a significant upgrade over my momentums. Any thoughts on that either?

Thanks!

(any other hi-fi'ers with advice/opinions/insight, please come forward too :) )

I haven't heard the ALO Mk3 ( I take it you're on about the RX? ) so I cant comment on that, Although I believe its a good amplifier.
Depending on budget also have a look at the Ray Samuels SR71B Blackbird or for a tighter budget and one of my favourites, the Graham Slee Voyager.
As for the interconnect check out Toxic Cables ( He's a member on here ) his prices are far better and his cables are just as good, If not better Ive been told.
However expect a bit of a wait currently, If not check out Forza Audioworks, Also on here. Good prices again for great cables. Frank & Matthew are my two "Go-To" cable makers! :)
Cans wise, LOTS to choose from and it all depends on what your taste is in sound and what genres you listen to.
If I was to recommend a closed pair out of my collection ( Check out my list on my profile ) I would highly recommend the HD25.1.II's or the Amperiors.
Second recommendation would be the V-Moda V80 / M80 ( Same thing, Just the V80 is the True Blood edition ) You'll find all three suggestions have a more articulate/detailed 
sound stage in comparison to the Momentums, With the Amperiors & HD25's having the edge.
Obviously there are others but I'll let the rest of the crowd chip in :)

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #9,307 of 37,632
Yeah I did mean the RX whoops! Alright thanks Paul, I'll certainly have to check out those models and keep doing my homework. I've heard good things about the Ray Samuels line as far as amps go. I may have to pull the trigger on the M100s thats a model I've sampled and found to be quite pleasing.

Does anyone have experience with Audio Technica's wood cup models? They are interesting and not nearly as pricey as say the LCD-XC, which at $1800 is definitely a bit out of my league. Some day!

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #9,308 of 37,632
I'm not sure where I read Grado headphones cannot do EDM genres very well, I seem to be loving it? Possibly because of their labeled lacking low end. Seems fine to me. Isolation though is near 0%, I can hear traffic and all sorts of things (indoors) I must admit being a fan of brighter signatures I've fallen in love with the Grado sound, and soon, maybe in the not to distant future this pair of SR80i will be replaced by SR325. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #9,310 of 37,632
Congrats Sean fur your new Alpha Dogs
How is the Alpha Dogs sound quality compare to your TH 900?
Is Alpha Dogs very hard to drive ?

Rudi, they're both different. The TH-900s has a shallow U-shape but the AD's are more linear to my ears. However the AD's don't have the bass of the TH-900's. I've really been enjoying the ADs quite a bit and been taking them out. They do need a little bit of grunt to drive them - not just the amp but the DAC lineout too. e.g. I've noticed that with the ZX1 lineout into the TUR-06, I'm almost on max volume on the TUR-06. But if I'm using the setup in the picture (PC -> Herus -> TUR-06), then I probably need only 50-60% on the TUR-06 volume. The AD's do enjoy -clean- current though, not just raw grunt. The TUR-06 drives the ADs better than my Zana Deux.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #9,311 of 37,632
I have the pleasure to meet with Rudi in Hong Kong tonite:

1. He has a friend who makes some really awesome cables. In comparison, there are Wagnus, Siltech 4 core and uber.
These DIY cables reveal great detail and texture. There is a short one has this truly deep bass impact.

2. I am now a believer in Japan cell Samsung battery brings SQ improvement to the DX50. Thanks, Rudi.

3. ZX-1 is good but not great. (IMHO)

Last nite I am back home

Thank you George for visited me at my hotel room
It was the first time I heard HM 901
HM 901 pair with Fit Ear Parterre is very good for classical music

I am sorry Gavin can not meet you this time
This is my shortest trip to Hong Kong only for meeting
I plan to extend until Sunday , there was no sit for Sunday , it is fully booked

Here some pictures from mini meet with George

I am sorry can not publish George Photos , it is again a law hahaha :D

I am sorry I can only show George Hand
:D

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #9,313 of 37,632
Rudi, they're both different. The TH-900s has a shallow U-shape but the AD's are more linear to my ears. However the AD's don't have the bass of the TH-900's. I've really been enjoying the ADs quite a bit and been taking them out. They do need a little bit of grunt to drive them - not just the amp but the DAC lineout too. e.g. I've noticed that with the ZX1 lineout into the TUR-06, I'm almost on max volume on the TUR-06. But if I'm using the setup in the picture (PC -> Herus -> TUR-06), then I probably need only 50-60% on the TUR-06 volume. The AD's do enjoy -clean- current though, not just raw grunt. The TUR-06 drives the ADs better than my Zana Deux.

Thank you Sean
Yours AD is 3 D printing edition right ?
I love their red color
I heard their version before , it is hard to drive headphone

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #9,314 of 37,632
Thank you Sean
Yours AD is 3 D printing edition right ?
I love their red color
I heard their version before , it is hard to drive headphone

Yes. All ADs are 3D printed. I don't think there is a non-3D printed version.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #9,315 of 37,632
Not bad at all for a first Headphile rig!
I remember when I first joined here as harbinja ( my first profile, now merged with this one ) I had a pair of JVC airbuds.
Then I moved up to an iPod nano and my first set of iGrado's.
A few months later I added a Cmoy "Altoids" tin amp.
Ive come a long way since then but I shall stop blabbering and let you enjoy your very respectable first step into the hobby :) 

p.s. As Rudi has said to me time and time again, When you upgrade later on, DO NOT get rid of your SOLO original. 
They're a damned good source even up against the balanced ones.  

Paul :)

Thank you Paul that you love Cypher Labs Class Solo original like me
Sid also like his Class Solo Original , he said very lucky to met me , he want sell his Class Solo Original :D

My opinion if you want buy ALO RX 3 B , please buy ALO RX 3 B the sound quality is better than Plus version
Rx 3 B plus has better bass slam , the rest Rx 3 B is better

IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back