1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ringingears, Oct 26, 2012.
  1. AnakChan Moderator
    JH Audio Layla II. Sounds good so far but lining up to compare to the original Layla

image.jpg

[Subjective mode on!! 10 min listen only!!]
    And managed to listen to the orig. II's are somewhat more airy, articulate & precise. But feels a little drier. Easily fixed by tuning up the bass pots though.
    [/Subjective mode off]

2. x RELIC x Contributor

Great pic!

3. milodinosaur
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fiio X1 paired with a JDS labs C5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kundi likes this.
  4. Wyd4

I quite like it. Still adjusting to its sound. I am quite sensitive to highs and lower treble/upper mids and as such have usually steered to darker iems/headphones. But I am enjoying these.

That said I am using foam tips as a must with the bass dial at 1pm. I prefer them to Roxanne and angie. But I think with the angie it's just personal taste due to its tuning. The angie is probably a more refined unit if I could get past that haha.

It is too early for any real useful response but I will report back when I have had more time with them :).

5. Wyd4
    Proof of concept for my 400gb mojo dap haha.

Now to go get myself a small hub and more suitable cables.

image.jpg

6. shotgunshane Contributor

How is fit compared to the original? The II looks a lot nicer IMO. 

7. AnakChan Moderator

Definitely shinier :wink:. The II feels heavier though (not surprisingly). Didn't have an issue with fit.

8. Taggerung
    New to the game, but here goes.

IMG_20160329_145937318.jpg

JVC HA-SZ2000
    FLC 8S
    FiiO E12
    LG V10

9. Mimouille
    I thought the fit was ok, but it is still huge and heavy. I only tried with default bass setting, and there is indeed a bit of dryness. Separation is incredible, but I sometimes wonder if there is not too much separation, if the individual instruments should not meld into each other a bit more.

10. lookingforIEMs

Sounds more like the JH custom layla demo I heard at jaben and less like the AK layla

11. Mimouille
    I am talking about the Layla II.

IMG_20160319_175216.jpg

12. alan_g
    FB_IMG_1459247575995.jpg

Just added these to play with mojo and ak100mkii

13. kg4fxg
    Reel to Reel

Tape.jpg

I have always believed Hi Fidelity rested in serious reel to reel decks.  
    Chromium dioxide tape
    Dolby B
    Low wow-and-flutter

And this was great until I moved to 8 track tapes!

And yes, just kidding, I did really have a portable reel to reel much like this as a kid.  

Prometeia likes this.
  14. lookingforIEMs

The drier sound and better separation sounds more becoming of the actual layla. Sounds like a yep in the right direction ( although I wonder when will I ever afford them )

15. FFBookman

True that.

Until you've sat in a recording studio and heard master 2" tape played back properly (baked and EQ'd per mix notes), I'd argue you haven't heard the actual highest fidelity recordings.

That's the master. Everything beyond that is a lesser copy.  The only exception is if a 16/44 exists but the original tape has deteriorated or was destroyed. That leaves the 16/44 as the best.

Modern 24bit digital conversions do get very close and are 100x more convenient, so I advocate for all music of the 20th century to be re-digitized @ 24bit.  

Interestingly - they only converted ~ 30% of the music of the 20th century to 16/44 before switching to 24bit in the 90's. There's actually a huge collection of tapes out there that still haven't been digitized, and maybe never will. This outnumbers releases stuck at 16/44. Of course digitization priority is based on popularity/profit potential.