Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Mar 27, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #19,591 of 37,606
Lol! Apparently not for everyone. So what did you buy? You bought something right? :veryevil:

Nope I am becoming very picky with old age...or more likely because I have tried so much. I was not even even tempted on the AK380cu. I am past paying more than a certain price for DAPs unless they are really changing the game. The JH Layla II was nice, but honestly, I would rather get a KSE1500 at that price. JH is way overpriced in my humble opinion.

Oh damned, yes you're right I missed that part, meaculpa ☺ that must be an awesome shop.

Reminds me of some little shops in Hong Kong where you can try hundreds of high end iems as if they are cheap like candies...until you notice the price tag :grin:

I'd love to spend my next holiday there ( the audiophile shopping paradise)

No problem. Having access to all the things to test makes you actually buy less because you can see so much stuff is overhyped.

Mar 27, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #19,592 of 37,606
Nope I am becoming very picky with old age...or more likely because I have tried so much. I was not even even tempted on the AK380cu. I am past paying more than a certain price for DAPs unless they are really changing the game. The JH Layla II was nice, but honestly, I would rather get a KSE1500 at that price. JH is way overpriced in my humble opinion.

Lol, you obviously missed the sarcasm as you clearly noted you didn't buy anything. :D

I didn't like the Layla, however, I find the Angie to sit in a pretty good price performance groove.

:beerchug:

Mar 27, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #19,594 of 37,606
Mar 27, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #19,595 of 37,606
Totally agree Mimouille ! I was in Hong Kong last year and got the chance to put some real fuzzy high end stuffs in my ears (of up to $6000)

Verdict : 95% of these stuffs are overpriced but not sure if overrated as per reviews, they reflects well the pros and cons but have performances that can be found in stuffs that cost five to ten times cheaper

It's all about branding, marketing and prestige, such as people use to buy Beats headphones at $300 because it's fashion and well advertised. In reality you can get the same SQ in headphones that cost less than $50 from unknown OEMs

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #19,596 of 37,606
  Nice so clean, what is your player brand?

Cheap AGPTek B03. Clear and clean output like their A06 and C05, also less than 1.5 Ohms output impedance and quite good hiss performance.

Interesting fact: I googled for "AGPTek RockBox" and found out that the AGPTek owner created an account on the RockBox forum and is probably going to build DAPs in the future that come with RockBox firmware as standard on their players.

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #19,597 of 37,606
No problem. Having access to all the things to test makes you actually buy less because you can see so much stuff is overhyped.

I also agree on DAPs purchase... for me the last real leap in sound quality on DAP was the hifiman 901.  Since then others had caught up in SQ and we now have many very good sounding choice that can be put in that "top tier" with different tuning/feature that may suit someone better than another.  Until there is another leap in SQ, the "battle" is really on form factor (design/built) and UI (OS/features).  IMHO something like the DP-X1 or X7 are really hitting a great spot in terms of overall performance from SQ, form, UI, and price.  

Having said that I'm also a sucker for shiny pricey braggaworthy gears without much discipline so being in Hong Kong I fear it's just a matter of time before I get myself the next "ultimate" DAP....  that probably don't sound all that much better in the grand scheme of things over my gear du jour:

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #19,598 of 37,606
I also agree on DAPs purchase... for me the last real leap in sound quality on DAP was the hifiman 901.  Since then others had caught up in SQ and we now have many very good sounding choice that can be put in that "top tier" with different tuning/feature that may suit someone better than another.  Until there is another leap in SQ, the "battle" is really on form factor (design/built) and UI (OS/features).  IMHO something like the DP-X1 or X7 are really hitting a great spot in terms of overall performance from SQ, form, UI, and price.  

Having said that I'm also a sucker for shiny pricey braggaworthy gears without much discipline so being in Hong Kong I fear it's just a matter of time before I get myself the next "ultimate" DAP....  that probably don't sound all that much better in the grand scheme of things over my gear du jour:

Get the Hisoundaudio S6.

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #19,600 of 37,606
Got new cable 006 series to my F111. Sorry with no DAP, I cant effort in recent time.

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #19,601 of 37,606

back to the roots! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #19,603 of 37,606
Mar 28, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #19,605 of 37,606

Users who are viewing this thread

Back