Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Apr 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #4,576 of 7,509

Quote:
I hope a price drop and an influx of games start moving many more units.  I always thought the PSP was great, but lack of games killed it for me.  I think the Vita is truly awesome piece of hardware, but games are what's going to kill it.  The games I have so far, are awesome graphic wise.  Definitely does not make me want for playing on console when I'm playing the Vita. Uncharted looked and played great, Unit 13 looks fantastic and plays great!  I can definitely see a Call of Duty or better yet Battlefield coming out for it (with grip of course) could help push sales tremendously as graphically it doesn't seem to give up a lot to the consoles.  Here's to hoping Sony can do something with this they haven't done with their other portables.  I've tried the Nintendo portables, and besides the original Gameboy and Gameboy Advanced SP... I didn't care much for them... too kid oriented (like their consoles).

It doing bad with sales makes me worry about Sony not taking a chance with the PS4 hardware. I'm thinking we will see the next consoles 2013/2014 but I would really like to see them pack a punch hardware wise. Atleast a Six core CPU and 560 Ti/6870 equivalent GPU.

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #4,577 of 7,509
To make this relevant, ... audio on the Vita is decent too.  Not as nice as on my Walkman Z, but definitely up there with an iPod 4G/Classic IMHO.  ...and the PS4 with better hardware, but not so unique that programmers have a hard time learning how to squeeze it for all it's worth.  I still think we haven't seen all the PS3 can do.  ...Ok, I'm done talking Video Games... sorry for the diversion everyone....

Quote:
It doing bad with sales makes me worry about Sony not taking a chance with the PS4 hardware. I'm thinking we will see the next consoles 2013/2014 but I would really like to see them pack a punch hardware wise. Atleast a Six core CPU and 560 Ti/6870 equivalent GPU.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #4,578 of 7,509
A not-so-portable portable rig, at Starbucks.

When I know I'll be somewhere for a long time, I'll sometimes bring a rig like the one I'm using right now:

(Click on photo to see larger version.)

This rig is MacBook Air --> Fostex HP-A3 USB DAC/amp --> Fostex TH900 headphone

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #4,579 of 7,509
Eagerly awaiting more info on those TH900s, Jude. I would like to have them available when I need a closed can and they'd be used in a rig similar to the one you've got there. 

They look great, either way.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #4,581 of 7,509

Quote:
How can you stand the clutter and all the cables? Plus, I see you're carrying a Nikon D4... your backpack must be large and heavy!

The clutter of cables and drives doesn't bother me, as long as my keyboard and mouse area are clear. I'm usually wearing the headphones, so there's not usually a pile of cable on top of my keyboard. (For this kind of use, though, the Fostex TH900's cable is far longer than ideal.)

And, yes, my backpack is stuffed and heavy, which I'm used to. And when I know I'll be somewhere for a while (like today), I'll bring along a wheeled duffle bag with work stuff, other headphones and gear, etc.

...I guess, if I were you, I'd get like an iBasso DX100 and some micro 4/3 camera to go with your MacBook Air...

I have a couple of micro 4/3 cameras and other more compact cameras, and I do carry them from time to time, but sometimes I want an SLR with me.

As for the rig: It changes a lot, depending on where I'll be, what I feel like using, etc. Sometimes I don't have any room (or desire) to carry anything more than an iPhone and IEMs. Sometimes I feel like bringing something like the photo above. And most often it'll be something in between (but usually far more portable than the rig in the above photo). Yesterday I was listening straight from my iPad's little speaker, and enjoying the transistor radio vibe, as I had nothing else with me. Like I said, it changes all the time.

Here are a couple of other more portable (but not ultra-portable) setups I've recently used: Portable Headphone Rigs (Community Gallery)

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #4,582 of 7,509
*sigh* I had one of those...met a watery end in the dog's water bowl. Sad, sad day...

Quote:
Here's what I'm using recently. I'm really happy with how the walkman sounds, I prefer it over my Clip+ and ipods. it has great detail and perfect bass response for my tastes. I picked it up on ebay for $13.60 

.8GB Sony Walkman.

.Monster Turbines.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #4,584 of 7,509
@Jude, that is a quite a rig to bring to bring to Starbucks :D. Have you had any of their patrons say anything to you? Lovely setup though!

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #4,586 of 7,509

The new setup with just DX100 and my personal pair of custom UM earphones. 
Sound is awesome, and easy to deal with without all the bondage mess.

The galaxy tab is a nice phone/tablet, but the sound isn't comparable to the DX100 for obvious reasons.  

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #4,588 of 7,509

Quote:
@Jude, that is a quite a rig to bring to bring to Starbucks :D. Have you had any of their patrons say anything to you? Lovely setup though!

There are a couple of local Starbucks (and some other non-Starbucks) locations with staff and patrons who know us by now, and are used to us coming in with our stuff. Yes, I get approached and asked questions pretty regularly, and it almost always leads to fun conversations; and I've made some friends from the interactions, too, over the years.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #4,589 of 7,509

Quote:

The new setup with just DX100 and my personal pair of custom UM earphones. 
Sound is awesome, and easy to deal with without all the bondage mess.

The galaxy tab is a nice phone/tablet, but the sound isn't comparable to the DX100 for obvious reasons.  

might as well be real gold,
smile.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #4,590 of 7,509
Nice...the form factor looks a tad awkward, but I listen mostly at my desk, so that isn't a huge deal...and the price is extremely attractive considering the prices of the TTVJ Slim, the Pico Slim and the Headstage Arrow...I don't mind carrying a little extra weight for half the price if the performance matches them...any idea if this is the case?

Quote:
Like it? I love it! It has a upfront presentation, very, very, very transparent, air tight bass response, superb details, sharp and defined instrument separation. Basically, this amp lets the source's DAC sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back