Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIII]
Feb 12, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #4,336 of 5,950
Thankyou for your help guys!
I'm going to wait a little while yet anyway as I'm going through one of my game buying sprees lol!
Out of curiosity, I like a warm punchy sound, Out of the Pico, Tomahawk or an Emeline would be close to that kind of sound characteristic?

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #4,338 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Garbage in/garbage out. Everything in between is golden.

I thought the sandisk clip was a decent portable source though. Cheap doesn't always mean bad but any suggestions of a better portable source would be taken into consideration.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #4,339 of 5,950
Wow, what did I start with my comment?
biggrin.gif

I love the Clip, it's my favorite player. Now that it has a 100% working Rockbox port I hardly ever touch my fancy Cowon S9 or anything else. You'd be very hard pressed to find a better bang for the buck than the Clip/Clip+.

The Cardas cable is relatively expensive for what it is - a short yet well made no-nonsense cable - but compared to some ridiculous con-artist voodoo cables it's a steal, of course. In the grand scheme, the 20 bucks probably don't matter at all.

The RSA sure is a durable and expensive amp... thus the PK3 definitely need to be upgraded to something better to match the rest of the rig!
devil_face.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #4,340 of 5,950
Oh that's a good point I should definitely look into having my clip rockboxed. As for my portable setup I had originally purchased the amp to try out with my home headphones but thought it would be nice to have a portable setup to allow me to enjoy my amp more. I guess it's true what they say about things being only as good as
it's weakest link which in this case appears to be the pk3's. They are good earphones straight from source but don't offer huge improvements while amped. I am really leaning towards the sennheiser hd25-II's as a candidate to replace the pk3's. Does anyone else have suggestions to alternatives? The pk1 would be good but offer no isolation for public transit

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #4,341 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Garbage in/garbage out. Everything in between is golden.

I guess ignorance is bliss. I prefer my clip+ to my iphone 3Gs, and i'd bet you would call that golden.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #4,342 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grokit,
What IC is that - is it L shaped on both ends as it looks?

31V0BS1926L._SS500_.jpg

That's the one that is furnished with the Simpl A1 dedicated iPod amp, unchanged for at least seven years I think. I even have an extra IC like that now, since I sent mine in for an estimate a couple of years ago when the battery stopped charging and they sent me a whole new one free, out of warranty; the best portable purchase I have ever made and still available for $90 or so shipped. Made to work well without a dock cable; they use a special impedance equation (iPod-specific) to enhance bass with a very low noise floor. If you want to amp a traditional full-size iPod, it's a very good option IME. And yes, the cable is L-shaped at both ends, I almost forgot!

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #4,348 of 5,950
iRiver 140 + optical cable + Go-Vibe Vulcan VB
p1010037j.jpg

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #4,350 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
use your sunglasses
biggrin.gif

Or better yet, use a pair of Oakleys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back