Perfect headphones for me (in a budget of about $100)?
Feb 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #16 of 85
Grado's don't lack bass at all. What they lack is bass that is artificially boosted. They are great for rock and punk.

I had the MS1i, modded to MS1000i ...no deep bass worth mentioning, the mids were pressing, the treble outright annoying. And even with the new ear cushions, they were still somewhat uncomfy -.-
But then again - I already know that my "taste" doesn't fit the mainstream here, so take it with a grain of salt.

BTW: I received the CAL just yesterday and left a review (I hope linking is ok)

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #17 of 85
Grado SR80's or KRK KNS 8400.

The Grado's have a more open sound - well, they're open phones.
The 8400's are more comfortable and of course more isolating.
But I haven't seen them in the $100. range - maybe you have.

IMHO & IME both much better than the Creative Aurvana Live.

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #18 of 85

Quote:
The Grados are perfectly fine without an amp. I wouldn't let that influence your decision. 

I do think the pads are a worthwhile upgrade. But, in the meantime you can "quarter mod" the existing ones (removing a quarter sized piece of foam from the center of the pad). 

I don't know that I would say the K240 are any better or worse than the Grados (regardless of pad). They are different sounding. I like them both, even for the same genre of music. 

So, I guess I won't worry about an amp at all. 

As much as that "quarter mod" would help, I don't think I would feel comfortable cutting up the pads of my new $100 headphones. I think I will just deal with the crappy pads until I can put together enough money to buy some L-cushes. 

It is good to know about my options, but I think I am still leaning towards the Grados over the K240s. I'll keep an eye on both, and if either of them happen to go on sale before I order my Grados (or whatever pair of headphones I end up choosing), I will probably jump on it.

When you say K240, you are referring to these http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Acoustics-K-240-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA right?

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #19 of 85

Quote:
Quote:
Grado's don't lack bass at all. What they lack is bass that is artificially boosted. They are great for rock and punk.

I had the MS1i, modded to MS1000i ...no deep bass worth mentioning, the mids were pressing, the treble outright annoying. And even with the new ear cushions, they were still somewhat uncomfy -.-
But then again - I already know that my "taste" doesn't fit the mainstream here, so take it with a grain of salt.

BTW: I received the CAL just yesterday and left a review (I hope linking is ok)

Your review combined with your comments is really starting to push me back into undecided territory (from being nearly convinced that I wanted the Grados). At $30 cheaper and not in need of new ($20) pads, and possibly sounding much better, the CALs really seem to be the way to go. Other times I think, "What's $30 on a pair of headphones I can use my entire life?" I am starting to really wish there was a shop near me where I could try these headphones out and decide for myself. I have heard such mixed reviews for the Grados that I am a little scared to send $100 for them. After reading about the MS1i, even though you didn't like it, at $100 ( http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html  that is it right?) and with nearly everyone on the few threads I have read suggesting it over the SR80s, I have to say I am certainly considering it too.

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #20 of 85

Quote:
Grado SR80's or KRK KNS 8400.

The Grado's have a more open sound - well, they're open phones.
The 8400's are more comfortable and of course more isolating.
But I haven't seen them in the $100. range - maybe you have.

IMHO & IME both much better than the Creative Aurvana Live.

You are right. The KNS 8400s are $130. At the point when I suggested I was considering them, I was thinking I might be able to stretch my budget. I am not really considering them anymore because they are out of my price range. It is good to know the Grados compete well with them, though. Also, that is one more vote for the Grados over the CALs, What does everyone think of the MS1i?

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #22 of 85
Another thought - the SR80i's are classics; no doubt about it.

If and when you decide to upgrade - or otherwise want to sell them,
you can do so in the blink of an eye and recoup most of your investment as well.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #23 of 85
I tried the sr-80i's and was actually quite shocked at how powerful the bass was.  What I did not hear was the Grado clarity so often spoke of, and the comfort level was not for me.  I actually thought the Shure SRH-840's were much more clear and balanced, but also had awesome, well controlled bass. Unfortunately they appear to be out of your price range.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #24 of 85

Quote:
Another thought - the SR80i's are classics; no doubt about it.

If and when you decide to upgrade - or otherwise want to sell them,
you can do so in the blink of an eye and recoup most of your investment as well.

Just one more plus going for the SR80i's (just curious, why do people put an apostrophe in headphone names to make them plural?). The ability to recoup the money makes them a lot more appealing to buy online. Especially since I have no clue how well I will like any of the headphones mentioned. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #25 of 85

Quote:
Just one more plus going for the SR80i's (just curious, why do people put an apostrophe in headphone names to make them plural?). The ability to recoup the money makes them a lot more appealing to buy online. Especially since I have no clue how well I will like any of the headphones mentioned. 

Probably just to clarify that the model name is SR80i not SR80is

That (plus a poor understanding of the rules surrounding plural and possessive usage) is about all I can think of. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #26 of 85

Quote:
I tried the sr-80i's and was actually quite shocked at how powerful the bass was.  What I did not hear was the Grado clarity so often spoke of, and the comfort level was not for me.  I actually thought the Shure SRH-840's were much more clear and balanced, but also had awesome, well controlled bass. Unfortunately they appear to be out of your price range.

So, now I have another vote against the Grados. The reviews seem so mixed on them. The mere fact that everyone has an opinion on them could be considered a positive. Even your own post suggests that more people like than dislike them. Your own complaint almost seems negated by the fact that you point out overwhelming disagreement. Nevertheless, I still thank you for your comment. Have you ever tried an Alessandro MS1i? People often talk favorably of them, and I am wondering if they really do improve on the things so many people love to complain about. 

The Shure SRH-840s are out of my price range. I do appreciate the suggestion, but I am trying to stick to less than not much over $100. $134 (the price on Amazon) is > 1.3x the suggested price range and I don't feel I can stretch my budget so far. At that point, I could be looking at a whole new batch of headphones. You don't happen to know where I could get them cheaper, do you? They do have extremely positive reviews on this site. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #27 of 85

Quote:
Quote:

Probably just to clarify that the model name is SR80i not SR80is

That (plus a poor understanding of the rules surrounding plural and possessive usage) is about all I can think of. 

That is about what I figured. I guess I can see that being important, it just looks a bit odd. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #28 of 85

Quote:
At that point, I could be looking at a whole new batch of headphones. You don't happen to know where I could get them cheaper, do you? They do have extremely positive reviews on this site. 

You can always look at used headphones. The classifieds here are pretty good. Prices are a touch higher than you might pay on a popular auction site, but you have more assurances in general that the item was well looked after and in good shape. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #29 of 85
How bout saving some bucks and get the panasonic HTF-600? Supreme budget can..There is a huge thread about them here somewhere. If you are craving for more when you get tired of the 600s you know what you are looking for when upgrading..If you ever will ( it´s not a must even if this is head-fi ) 
o2smile.gif

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #30 of 85
Woof.  The Panasonic HTF600 is nowhere near the class of the other headphones in this thread.  I had some and got rid of them quickly.

Creative Aurvana Live!
Grado SR60i...If you can stand the open back and feel of the pads, nothing else in this group will sound like them, and people seem to love them or hate them.  I have some and won't give them up.
KRK 6400
Shure 440
AKG 240 Studio
Sony ZX700

All of these are worth considering.  The Sony has dropped in price to $75 from MacMall, and is a fine choice as an all-rounder, like the AKG Studios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back