Perfect headphones for me (in a budget of about $100)?
Feb 12, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #46 of 85
The Grado SR80i's come with the S cush (Comfies) these days, not the L cush pads.  And the pads do make a great difference in the sound and comfort of Grados.  One of the best things about Grado's is that you can adjust their sound with pads rather easily, so if the S cush don't suit you, feel free to experiment with the 414 Sennheiser pads or order the L cush. 

The Grado SR60i's plus the L cush pads would cost about the same as the SR80i's with the stock pads. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #47 of 85

Quote:
The Grado SR80i's come with the S cush (Comfies) these days, not the L cush pads.  And the pads do make a great difference in the sound and comfort of Grados.  One of the best things about Grado's is that you can adjust their sound with pads rather easily, so if the S cush don't suit you, feel free to experiment with the 414 Sennheiser pads or order the L cush. 

The Grado SR60i's plus the L cush pads would cost about the same as the SR80i's with the stock pads. 

I noticed this little fact earlier, actually. I just am not convinced that the SR60i's sound as good as the SR80i's. It becomes such a difficult choice. I really can't decide if I want the SR60i's or the 80i's. I don't want to constantly wonder how much better I could have it had I spent those extra $20 on the SR80i's, yet it is $20 and would give me my first (resellable) taste of Grados. If I really love them and feel frustrated at having the 60i's, I guess I could probably find a buyer and recoup at least $60 and buy the 80i's. You do think I'd be able to get $60 for them, right? I feel attracted to Grados, I just don't know which to buy. I also wonder if I will even like them at all. Maybe I will go ahead and order some SR60i's. I also feel I might should wait until I can get a good deal from a seller here or on Amazon for a used pair. That would keep my costs down. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #48 of 85
Grado's rarely go on sale at retail.  I bought mine from Amazon for $69, but don't often see them at that price point.  Buying them from someone here at headfi is certainly an option, but my rule of thumb when buying or trading on the internet is to never go into that kind of a deal without being able to completely lose the investment.  So if you're on a tight budget, and cannot afford to lose that amount, buy retail.

And since you are so uncertain about the quality, my advice would be to get the SR80i's, assuming you absolutely choose to go with some Grados.  You won't be second guessing yourself that way, and changing pads on them would be something you could try later on.  And then only if you are curious or a little dissatisfied with the stock pads.

Now, I chose the other path and got the SR60's, but I never really considered anything else, and was happy to get a sample of the Grado sound, even if it is the lowest tier.  Doesn't mean that is the best way for you.  In the end its your decision.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #49 of 85

Quote:
Grado's rarely go on sale at retail.  I bought mine from Amazon for $69, but don't often see them at that price point.  Buying them from someone here at headfi is certainly an option, but my rule of thumb when buying or trading on the internet is to never go into that kind of a deal without being able to completely lose the investment.  So if you're on a tight budget, and cannot afford to lose that amount, buy retail.

And since you are so uncertain about the quality, my advice would be to get the SR80i's, assuming you absolutely choose to go with some Grados.  You won't be second guessing yourself that way, and changing pads on them would be something you could try later on.  And then only if you are curious or a little dissatisfied with the stock pads.

Now, I chose the other path and got the SR60's, but I never really considered anything else, and was happy to get a sample of the Grado sound, even if it is the lowest tier.  Doesn't mean that is the best way for you.  In the end its your decision.

I buy things from people online all the time, so I am used to the risk. Even if I were robbed (which is unlikely on Amazon), I believe Amazon can get my money back (or Paypal, as long as I don't gift it). I just saw a pair of Used - Like New Grado SR60i's on Amazon for $60. Unfortunately, somebody got to them before I did. If I could get a pair for $60, I would happily accept the risk. 

At this point, if I buy the SR80i's, I will probably second guess the extra $20 spent on headphones. Either way, I will probably wish I had made the other choice (for at least a short time). I don't know which I should do. Finding good used deals for the SR80i's is a lot harder to do. So, if I buy used, it is looking like it will be an extra $30-40 for the 80i's. It is funny to me that I am arguing this point, when if you had supported the 60i's I probably would have said almost exactly what you stated.

I will probably do a bit more research (since I missed those $60 Grados on Amazon) and try to make a decision I feel comfortable with.

About the "assuming you absolutely choose to go with some Grados":
Although I feel like the other headphones mentioned in this thread could even provide me a higher quality experience than the Grados, for some reason, I keep being pulled back to the Grados. It feels like every time I try to look at other options I am looking for faults. Some strange mental defect, I suppose, but at this point I think I will end up with a pair of Grados. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #51 of 85
Well, your getting recomendations from people with different ears, personalitys, wallets and biases. Think about how subjective all of these recommendations are. Say i just ordered the Aurvana and got really happy and recommended them everywhere to feed myself away from buyers remorse. That is why Grado's, and any other headphone, are seemingly different to everybody.

I really like rock like Foo Fighters and really anything to Jazz- and i still like somthing that kicks my ass or gets me in my music. Thus why i opt for slightly warm headphones.

The way i see it, music was originally meant to be for playing FUN and listening FUN, so i get headphones that are FUN! You need to list what headphones you have used in the past and if you want analytical or warm or whatever so our suggestions are relevant. You might get grados and think you wasted your money, or you could get grado fever and make your way up the line loving them. Grado's arent bass light to me, but rather not deep; it punched me but didnt rumble down low.

Why rule out zx700, CAL!'s, or sr60's? i listened to sr60's and 80's back to back and i coudlnt notice a damn difference; and if so it was splitting hairs.

my other post was autocorrrected by my phone so sorry about that haha

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #52 of 85
@PatrickAupperle

You've narrowed it to a few choices, received plenty of input (perhaps too much),
and haven't formed a "gut feeling" of which way to go.

My opinion: go with value.

Intrinsic value.
Time proven value.

Part of value is all of the goodwill and great reviews
a product has received over a long time.

Like a Ferrari, or a Rolex.  Value.
Doesn't have to be pricey -
Sangean radios.  Value.

I think that of the headphones you're considering,
the SR80i's sound the best overall, and are the top value.
That's why they continue to sell and sell and sell all over the world,
and always at full list price.

Whatever you buy, I hope it provides a great deal of enjoyment for you.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #53 of 85

Quote:
Well, your getting recomendations from people with different ears, personalitys, wallets and biases. Think about how subjective all of these recommendations are. Say i just ordered the Aurvana and got really happy and recommended them everywhere to feed myself away from buyers remorse. That is why Grado's, and any other headphone, are seemingly different to everybody.

I really like rock like Foo Fighters and really anything to Jazz- and i still like somthing that kicks my ass or gets me in my music. Thus why i opt for slightly warm headphones.

The way i see it, music was originally meant to be for playing FUN and listening FUN, so i get headphones that are FUN! You need to list what headphones you have used in the past and if you want analytical or warm or whatever so our suggestions are relevant. You might get grados and think you wasted your money, or you could get grado fever and make your way up the line loving them. Grado's arent bass light to me, but rather not deep; it punched me but didnt rumble down low.

Why rule out zx700, CAL!'s, or sr60's? i listened to sr60's and 80's back to back and i coudlnt notice a damn difference; and if so it was splitting hairs.

my other post was autocorrrected by my phone so sorry about that haha

I can certainly see your point about the different ears, etc. I am looking for all the biased comments. I realize that none of the comments are biased, and am trying to get a general consensus. These will certainly not be the last pair of headphones I buy, so even if I end up taking a really biased comment and disliking my choice, I would just be that much more prepared for the next purchase. I really hope I love these headphones, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't.

I agree that music should be fun. The only decent headphones I have ever owned were a pair of Koss Porta Pros and a pair of Jays V-Jays. The PortaPros were stolen several months before I bought the V-Jays. I think I enjoyed the V-Jays slightly better, other than the fact that they seemed to rattle occasionally, but I really don't know how well I am remembering the PortaPros. I really don't know enough to say if I like analytical/warm/whatever headphones. I guess I would want "fun" headphones that I will enjoy listening to. Sorry, but I really just don't have enough experience with headphones. 

I ruled out the zx700 and the CAL!'s because they did not seem to be getting as good of reviews as the KNS6400s. As for the sr60i's, I originally ruled them  out because I figured I would regret not having the 80i's. I figured the extra $20 would be worth not feeling like I skimped out on quality (regardless of the validity of the feeling). Since then, and I thought it was apparent over the pages of posts, they have reentered the list of considerations. I may even be favoring over any other choice (if I can get a good deal on a used pair). I also made sure to mention that I was open to comments on headphones not on my current list of possibilities.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #54 of 85
Cool, if you want to skip the next step or dicking around with bait-phones, go straight for m50LE's. I thought they were damn SPECTACULAR for anything.
But all of the sudden fools hate m50's on here and you just have to LOL at them because they can do every genre with a solid performance.

you choose man. id say go for the grado sr60's and if you love the sound your good and set-if you dont like them, they were a bit less than sr80's and you wont be as pissed. I honestly can say to somone that is not a EXTREMELY picky audiophile (oxymoron) you wont notice a difference sr60's to 80's.

I will be getting my aurvanas tomorrow and will do a nice tiny little review on the genres you posted and let you know if theyre good for them.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #55 of 85
To the OP,

I don't know if you already addressed this, but is there a place near where you live that will allow you to try at least some of the headphones listed in this thread? That would be a lot more helpful to you as just because other people like a certain headphone, doesn't mean you will.

But while I'm here, throw in another couple of votes for the Grados. I own the SR60 (older version) and have access to the SR125. Grados are really great with rock music, from classic rock to metal. Their sound sig seems to push the guitars forward and make them larger than life, and there is some really nice vocals reproduction. I don't really understand what people are complaining about when it comes to Grados being uncomfortable, but that might just be because my SR60 seems quite loose fitting. My only gripe that I have is that, especially at louder volumes, the treble gets a little too much to handle with long periods of listening. But, I love my SR60, and I have a friend who swears by his SR225i.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #56 of 85
im not being a FOTM lover but i listened to the presonus (superlux phone) and they sounded like a grado with a bigger soundstage and not as warm or fun at all. I hate giving so many recomendations though, i thought they sounded like a 200 dollar headphone for analytical listening, which is not what you want :)

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #57 of 85

Quote:
To the OP,

I don't know if you already addressed this, but is there a place near where you live that will allow you to try at least some of the headphones listed in this thread? That would be a lot more helpful to you as just because other people like a certain headphone, doesn't mean you will.

But while I'm here, throw in another couple of votes for the Grados. I own the SR60 (older version) and have access to the SR125. Grados are really great with rock music, from classic rock to metal. Their sound sig seems to push the guitars forward and make them larger than life, and there is some really nice vocals reproduction. I don't really understand what people are complaining about when it comes to Grados being uncomfortable, but that might just be because my SR60 seems quite loose fitting. My only gripe that I have is that, especially at louder volumes, the treble gets a little too much to handle with long periods of listening. But, I love my SR60, and I have a friend who swears by his SR225i.

Unfortunately, I live in Victoria, TX. This doesn't make it easy to try anything. If I wanted to make a 2 hour drive, I could make it to Austin, San Antonio, or Houston, which probably all have places where I could try them. The gas to get to one of these places and back costs nearly as much as the headphones listed, though, so I think I will just try my luck and order one. Unless, of course, somebody could point me to a pair here in Victoria. 

Hearing over and over about the greatness of different Grados has intrigued me to the point where I think I will order one (SR60i or SR80i). Now the trouble is picking which one. I guess you would recommend the SR60i?

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #58 of 85

Quote:
im not being a FOTM lover but i listened to the presonus (superlux phone) and they sounded like a grado with a bigger soundstage and not as warm or fun at all. I hate giving so many recomendations though, i thought they sounded like a 200 dollar headphone for analytical listening, which is not what you want :)

Apparently I am just looking in the wrong place, but I can't seem to find what you are talking about. Do you have a link? Even though I am pretty set on Grados at this point, I would be quite interested to see what you are talking about.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #59 of 85

Quote:
Cool, if you want to skip the next step or dicking around with bait-phones, go straight for m50LE's. I thought they were damn SPECTACULAR for anything.
But all of the sudden fools hate m50's on here and you just have to LOL at them because they can do every genre with a solid performance.

you choose man. id say go for the grado sr60's and if you love the sound your good and set-if you dont like them, they were a bit less than sr80's and you wont be as pissed. I honestly can say to somone that is not a EXTREMELY picky audiophile (oxymoron) you wont notice a difference sr60's to 80's.

I will be getting my aurvanas tomorrow and will do a nice tiny little review on the genres you posted and let you know if theyre good for them.

As tempting as the m50LE's sounds, I think I will stick to my budget. 

I seem to see this story quite a bit. I will probably end up buying the SR60i's. As tempting as climbing another step up, I am probably better off saving the money and putting it towards my next headphone purchase or some L-cush pads. 

Thank you in advance for the review on those aurvanas. I look forward to reading it.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #60 of 85

Quote:
@PatrickAupperle

You've narrowed it to a few choices, received plenty of input (perhaps too much),
and haven't formed a "gut feeling" of which way to go.

My opinion: go with value.

Intrinsic value.
Time proven value.

Part of value is all of the goodwill and great reviews
a product has received over a long time.

Like a Ferrari, or a Rolex.  Value.
Doesn't have to be pricey -
Sangean radios.  Value.

I think that of the headphones you're considering,
the SR80i's sound the best overall, and are the top value.
That's why they continue to sell and sell and sell all over the world,
and always at full list price.

Whatever you buy, I hope it provides a great deal of enjoyment for you.

Sorry I missed your post, somehow I just didn't see it. 

The SR80i's (with the SR60i's) are right there at the top of the list of headphones I am considering. I just don't know if they really constitute any more real value than the SR60i's. At this point (and I will probably have changed my mind by the time I wake up tomorrow) I think I will buy the SR60i's. They just seem to be the most economic way to try out the Grado sound. It will also leave more money to put towards my next headphone purchase, which will expand my knowledge of what I like (or possibly be a higher end Grado, if I love the sound enough). Ultimately, I believe I will enjoy either one. 

Regardless of which set I buy, I appreciate your post and will certainly consider all of your advice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back