Perfect headphones for me (in a budget of about $100)?
Feb 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #31 of 85
KRK KNS-6400 would be my suggestion. They're also easier to drive than the KNS-8400. You can often find them for around $80.

I would have suggested my favorite Koss Pro DJ 100 for $80, but I don't know how good they'll sound straight from a computer.
It's my favorite headphone ever.

They have more forward mids and less treble than the 6400, but much more bass. For $80 they have very good sub-bass, but without some massive mid-bass hump.
Balanced bass and it's slightly boosted, but they're not bass heavy.

Most Best Buy's have them in their pro audio department.

I don't suggest the K240 Studio because it's too hard to drive. Doesn't sound good from any portable devices. I love this headphone though and has quite a lot of bass.

You can also try the Sony MDR-7506. I prefer it to the V6, but not the DJ100 or KRKs.

I'm not a fan of any Grado other than the SR-225i. The SR-80 is OK, but I wasn't impressed by it.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #32 of 85

Quote:
Woof.  The Panasonic HTF600 is nowhere near the class of the other headphones in this thread.  I had some and got rid of them quickly.

Creative Aurvana Live!
Grado SR60i...If you can stand the open back and feel of the pads, nothing else in this group will sound like them, and people seem to love them or hate them.  I have some and won't give them up.
KRK 6400
Shure 440
AKG 240 Studio
Sony ZX700

All of these are worth considering.  The Sony has dropped in price to $75 from MacMall, and is a fine choice as an all-rounder, like the AKG Studios.

All of them are good cans indeed but im just saying the pannys can give plenty for no money..They are less then half the price but not half the SQ imo. Im not fanboying here im just giving the guy a deasent tip for the money.

No need to put me off like that man.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #33 of 85
@ Arvan
If his budget was $30-40 dollars, you might mention the Panasonics.  I dislike them more than any headphone I've tried (except the Sony MDR V150), but if the money is really tight....nah, who am I kidding?  I wouldn't recommend them to anyone after listening to them for a few months.

Even in that tighter budget, the Koss Porta Pros and Superlux 681's are better choices.  Even the Sony PQ2 has far better mids, though it has very little bass impact.

Back to the original $100 question, I'd still recommend the ones I listed earlier.  tdockweiler is right about the K240's sounding better with an amp, but they did pretty well straight out of my computer also. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #34 of 85

Quote:
Woof.  The Panasonic HTF600 is nowhere near the class of the other headphones in this thread.  I had some and got rid of them quickly.

Creative Aurvana Live!
Grado SR60i...If you can stand the open back and feel of the pads, nothing else in this group will sound like them, and people seem to love them or hate them.  I have some and won't give them up.
KRK 6400
Shure 440
AKG 240 Studio
Sony ZX700

All of these are worth considering.  The Sony has dropped in price to $75 from MacMall, and is a fine choice as an all-rounder, like the AKG Studios.

Woah. Thank you for the list. I noticed you put SR60i on the list. Does this mean that you don't believe that the SR80i is worth the extra money? 
Those all look like excellent choices, but I want to make sure. When you say AKG 240 Studio, do you mean these http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Acoustics-K-240-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA ? Those would be the most expensive ones (except for the Sonys where you provided a cheaper store) on Amazon. I am now off to hunt for reviews for these headphones.

Edit:
I also meant to ask if you had any favorites from the list. Do you consider all of those equal? 

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #35 of 85

Quote:
KRK KNS-6400 would be my suggestion. They're also easier to drive than the KNS-8400. You can often find them for around $80.

I would have suggested my favorite Koss Pro DJ 100 for $80, but I don't know how good they'll sound straight from a computer.
It's my favorite headphone ever.

They have more forward mids and less treble than the 6400, but much more bass. For $80 they have very good sub-bass, but without some massive mid-bass hump.
Balanced bass and it's slightly boosted, but they're not bass heavy.

Most Best Buy's have them in their pro audio department.

I don't suggest the K240 Studio because it's too hard to drive. Doesn't sound good from any portable devices. I love this headphone though and has quite a lot of bass.

You can also try the Sony MDR-7506. I prefer it to the V6, but not the DJ100 or KRKs.

I'm not a fan of any Grado other than the SR-225i. The SR-80 is OK, but I wasn't impressed by it.

So, another KRK KNS-6400 suggestion. Thank you for that. 

You mention the Koss Pro DJ 100. At $80, I could still get a $20 headphone amp. I realize that leaves me really low on the headphone amp spectrum, but if that would give me superior results, I would happily consider it. 

Once again, I see a negative review of the Grados. I am really starting to be pushed away from them. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #36 of 85

Quote:
How bout saving some bucks and get the panasonic HTF-600? Supreme budget can..There is a huge thread about them here somewhere. If you are craving for more when you get tired of the 600s you know what you are looking for when upgrading..If you ever will ( it´s not a must even if this is head-fi ) 
o2smile.gif

Thank you for the suggestion, but as has been pointed out to you, I am looking for some higher quality and more expensive headphones. Although for $27.39, I can certainly see why you threw them in as an option. Thank you, but for now I am looking elsewhere.

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #37 of 85

Quote:

Woah. Thank you for the list. I noticed you put SR60i on the list. Does this mean that you don't believe that the SR80i is worth the extra money? 
Those all look like excellent choices, but I want to make sure. When you say AKG 240 Studio, do you mean these http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Acoustics-K-240-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA ? Those would be the most expensive ones (except for the Sonys where you provided a cheaper store) on Amazon. I am now off to hunt for reviews for these headphones.

Edit:
I also meant to ask if you had any favorites from the list. Do you consider all of those equal? 

After reading dozens, upon dozens of Grado threads, I'm pretty much convinced that there isn't much difference between the SR60i and the SR80i.  The SR60i may have a bit more bass, the SR80i is supposed to have a tiny bit more refined sound, but I haven't done a head to head comparison.  I believe Grado's should be regarded as specialty headphones, with a unique sound that doesn't always work with every situation where you might use headphones.  I prefer the AKG K240's I have for games, movies and quiet listening.  The SR60i's I use when I really want to pay attention to the music and want a more exciting, vibrant sound.

Those AKG's you linked are indeed the K240 Studios.  I have the K240 Mk II (same headphone, just with more accessories) and enjoy them quite a lot.  They will work straight out of your computer ok, but not so sure you'll like them on a phone.  And an amp will improve their sound, but that is true of many headphones.

Of the ones I listed, I'd take a long hard look at the CAL's, the Sony ZX700 and the KRK 6400.  There are plenty of threads about them here.

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #38 of 85

Quote:
Quote:

Edit:

After reading dozens, upon dozens of Grado threads, I'm pretty much convinced that there isn't much difference between the SR60i and the SR80i.  The SR60i may have a bit more bass, the SR80i is supposed to have a tiny bit more refined sound, but I haven't done a head to head comparison.  I believe Grado's should be regarded as specialty headphones, with a unique sound that doesn't always work with every situation where you might use headphones.  I prefer the AKG K240's I have for games, movies and quiet listening.  The SR60i's I use when I really want to pay attention to the music and want a more exciting, vibrant sound.

Those AKG's you linked are indeed the K240 Studios.  I have the K240 Mk II (same headphone, just with more accessories) and enjoy them quite a lot.  They will work straight out of your computer ok, but not so sure you'll like them on a phone.  And an amp will improve their sound, but that is true of many headphones.

Of the ones I listed, I'd take a long hard look at the CAL's, the Sony ZX700 and the KRK 6400.  There are plenty of threads about them here.

It is interesting that you say that about the Grados. Everything I have read seems to suggest that the SR80is are a step up, although a small one. Most people on the threads I was reading tend to say the 80s are worth the extra $20.

Thank you for narrowing the list a bit. Although I will keep the others in mind, this helps me a lot when sifting through the huge amount of available information. 

After reading reviews on Amazon and here and looking them up on headphone.com, I am somewhat confused. 
Here is what I am seeing.

The KRK 6400s seem to get really fantastic reviews almost everywhere except here on head-fi. In the reviews section here, both reviews complain about a lack of bass. Then, I read the thread here. He is absolutely impressed with them. Beyond the reviews in the reviews section, I hear almost only great things about them.

The Sonys seem to get almost all positive reviews, although not as positive as the KRK 4600s (aside from the reviews on this site). Headphone.com even complains about there bass. This is interesting because they seem to think the bass on the 6400s is fine. 

The CALs tend to get favorable reviews and would seem to have more bass than either of the other two. I have not found near the number of fanatic reviewers for these as I have for the other two, though. I have to say these tend to excite people the least of the three. 

I would really like to hear everyone's opinion on these three headphones, as well as more opinions on Grados. 

The list of headphones I am really considering now includes KRK 6400s, Sony ZX700s, CALs, Grado SR60Is, and Grado SR80Is.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #39 of 85

Quote:
So, another KRK KNS-6400 suggestion. Thank you for that

You mention the Koss Pro DJ 100. At $80, I could still get a $20 headphone amp. I realize that leaves me really low on the headphone amp spectrum, but if that would give me superior results, I would happily consider it. 

Once again, I see a negative review of the Grados. I am really starting to be pushed away from them. 

I think you were referring to my post earlier in this thread where I suggested the KNS 8400 as a phone well worth considering.

But the KNS 6400 is a phone which I've not listened to, so I would not comment on it.

As to the Grado reviews plus and minus, it's "the nature of the beast".
Their unique sound and build generates strong feelings on both sides of the aisle.

So you can expect those yay's and nay's about the Grado's to keep coming in as long as this thread is open.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #40 of 85

Quote:
Quote:
So, another KRK KNS-6400 suggestion. Thank you for that

I think you were referring to my post earlier in this thread where I suggested the KNS 8400 as a phone well worth considering.

But the KNS 6400 is a phone which I've not listened to, so I would not comment on it.

As to the Grado reviews plus and minus, it's "the nature of the beast".
Their unique sound and build generates strong feelings on both sides of the aisle.

So you can expect those yay's and nay's about the Grado's to keep coming in as long as this thread is open.

@ zazex
I was actually referring to them being on the list that Kerry56 gave me. 

The whole Grado love/hate thing kind of scares me. I really don't know if that is what I want to throw my money at.

@Everyone
After some more thinking, and for no real reason, I think I am going to drop the SR60Is, CALs, and the Sony ZX700s from my list of considerations. I also stumbled on quite a few recomendations of the AD-700s.

What is the general opinion of the AD-700s, KRK 6400s, and Grado SR80Is? Should I add the Sonys back to my list of considerations? 

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #41 of 85

Quote:

@ zazex

The whole Grado love/hate thing kind of scares me. I really don't know if that is what I want to throw my money at.

@Everyone
After some more thinking, and for no real reason, I think I am going to drop the SR60Is, CALs, and the Sony ZX700s from my list of considerations. I also stumbled on quite a few recomendations of the AD-700s.

What is the general opinion of the AD-700s, KRK 6400s, and Grado SR80Is? Should I add the Sonys back to my list of considerations? 

I would not suggest the AD700. IMO it just sounds weird due to it's lack of bass (yes, coming from someone who could care less about bass!) and too much treble.
Rock on the AD700 will just make you sad. You might be able to squeeze a little mid-bass from the AD700 if you force it to have more clamping. If you have a small head, avoid the AD700!!
These aren't as bad as some make them out to be. They have their uses. They're not bad for gaming and have a massive soundstage. I do feel like the mids are kind of not forward enough for me. At times they almost felt recessed for vocals. Weird huh?
The AD700 are really quite clear and detailed for their price. Some music does sound very impressive with them.

For music I actually prefer the AD300. It has more bass, less treble and more forward mids. It's kind of warm and don't know if it'd suggest it to many people over the KRKs.

IMO the KRKs don't lack bass at all. It's just not pronounced. If anything they even have a slight mid-bass hump.

The DJ100 has the most bass between all these mentioned I think. Of course some weird people will call them bass light, which is non-sense! They make the KRKs almost look bass light.

DJ100 isn't that hard to drive. Just picky about sources and amps. An Ipod Touch, Classic or Video should work. Same with even a Sansa Clip. You can even use M50 pads on them.
DJ100 needs a week to be at it's best sometimes.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #42 of 85

Quote:

@ zazex

@Everyone

I think that dropping those three is a very good decision.

I have the ZX700's, and they are my only phone that gets no usage.
Pleasant sounding phones with an overly soft high end, but better can be had for the price.

The AD-700's - sold mine more than a year ago.
Same reason I sold my (closed) 900's = the"wings".

AT uses a proprietary system whereby two spring loaded pieces of plastic sit on the top of your head.
You put on the phones, and these 'wings' self-adjust to hold the phones in place. 

They drive me to distraction, though, because I could hear the spring-loaded mechanisms making little
squeaking sounds every time I moved my head even a little bit.  I heard this microphonically through the
headphone structure. 

Others have commented on this issue - some suggest rubber bands, others suggest little blocks of rubber,
whatever - for me, the phones were not worth dealing with it.  I really found it very irritating.
Together with a bass that I found too light (the 700's; not the 900's), they soon found another home.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #43 of 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snipped quote>

I would not suggest the AD700. IMO it just sounds weird due to it's lack of bass (yes, coming from someone who could care less about bass!) and too much treble.
Rock on the AD700 will just make you sad. You might be able to squeeze a little mid-bass from the AD700 if you force it to have more clamping. If you have a small head, avoid the AD700!!
These aren't as bad as some make them out to be. They have their uses. They're not bad for gaming and have a massive soundstage. I do feel like the mids are kind of not forward enough for me. At times they almost felt recessed for vocals. Weird huh?
The AD700 are really quite clear and detailed for their price. Some music does sound very impressive with them.

For music I actually prefer the AD300. It has more bass, less treble and more forward mids. It's kind of warm and don't know if it'd suggest it to many people over the KRKs.

IMO the KRKs don't lack bass at all. It's just not pronounced. If anything they even have a slight mid-bass hump.

The DJ100 has the most bass between all these mentioned I think. Of course some weird people will call them bass light, which is non-sense! They make the KRKs almost look bass light.

DJ100 isn't that hard to drive. Just picky about sources and amps. An Ipod Touch, Classic or Video should work. Same with even a Sansa Clip. You can even use M50 pads on them.
DJ100 needs a week to be at it's best sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snipped quote>

I think that dropping those three is a very good decision.

I have the ZX700's, and they are my only phone that gets no usage.
Pleasant sounding phones with an overly soft high end, but better can be had for the price.

The AD-700's - sold mine more than a year ago.
Same reason I sold my (closed) 900's = the"wings".

AT uses a proprietary system whereby two spring loaded pieces of plastic sit on the top of your head.
You put on the phones, and these 'wings' self-adjust to hold the phones in place. 

They drive me to distraction, though, because I could hear the spring-loaded mechanisms making little
squeaking sounds every time I moved my head even a little bit.  I heard this microphonically through the
headphone structure. 

Others have commented on this issue - some suggest rubber bands, others suggest little blocks of rubber,
whatever - for me, the phones were not worth dealing with it.  I really found it very irritating.
Together with a bass that I found too light (the 700's; not the 900's), they soon found another home.

These two posts together have convinced me to knock the AD700s from my list. I guess I am down to just the KRK 6400s and the Grado SR80Is. 
Every time I think I will take one or the other, I read a bad review like this one from here:

[size=1.2em] I was really disappointed with how thin and tinny these sounded.  I've been trying them in the studio for a few sessions now for tracking and everything sounds so harsh and brittle.  I switched to a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's and found them to have vastly improved bass response and overall, more fullness and definition than the KRK's.  On the plus side, they are comfortable and do isolate well, even with a loud drummer.[/size]

[size=1.2em]  [/size]

[size=1.2em] In addition, I A/B'd them just using my ipod and an older pair of pretty inexpensive AT's that I had lying around and in that application as well, the KRK's sounded shallow, metallic and really thin.[/size]

As mentioned already, the Grados also have their fair share of poor reviews. Everyone says that the Grados are great for rock, but I begin to wonder if some of the music I listen to would really be classified as rock. Wikipedia calls Sonata Arctica a power metal band, and metal a type of rock. This suggests to me that Sonata Arctica is rock. Currently my favorite CD from them is The Days of Grays. Do any of you happen to know which headphone The Days of Grays would sound better on? Here, here, here, here, and here are some example Sonata Arctica songs if you would be willing to listen in and tell me if they would classify as the rock Grados are good for or not.  As my favorite band, it is most important to me that they sound great. If the type of music I listen to can't sway the choice between the two, I may just flip a coin or go for the cheaper one. I just hear such mixed reviews that it leads me to believe the important thing could be the type of music you play over them. Also, Sonata Arctica seems rare enough (around where I live anyway), that I figured providing a few example tracks could help people understand my musical taste. 

I am still open to opinions on the above two headphones as well as any other in the ~70-110$ range. 

Edit: Wow, some of the recordings on youtube are pretty bad. At least you can judge the type of music from them

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #44 of 85
At some point, you're going to just have to make a decision and try some. All of these will resell reasonably well (or many retailers will accept returns) if you are not happy. 

For your music choices, I still recommend either the SR80i with l-cush pads, or the K240. Every single headphone out there has lovers and haters. I cannot think of any headphone at any price (barring maybe the Stax 009) that has had universally good reviews.  

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #45 of 85

Quote:
At some point, you're going to just have to make a decision and try some. All of these will resell reasonably well (or many retailers will accept returns) if you are not happy. 

For your music choices, I still recommend either the SR80i with l-cush pads, or the K240. Every single headphone out there has lovers and haters. I cannot think of any headphone at any price (barring maybe the Stax 009) that has had universally good reviews.  

I agree. I guess I will probably just jump on a pair of SR80is and hope I like them. I can't really remember why I stopped considering the K240s. I'll give the forum a day or two longer to see if I can get any more opinions, then I will make my decision. They have a Used - Like New pair of K240s on Amazon for $70. If it weren't from a just launched seller, I would probably buy them right now. Since I don't know if I can trust that seller, I will take my time and make a decision in the next couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back