P4 the Warbler a new portable amp from iBasso . . first impression pg 3 . images Pg 6&7 . . .
Nov 4, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #33 of 561
I baby my gear! I've just never had a laptop or cell battery last longer than a year and a half. With a fresh battery though I keep things a really long time.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #34 of 561
Things I'm interested in reading comparisons of the iBasso P4 against:
Headstage Arrow 12HE 2G
iBasso D12/P3+
Meier STEPDANCE
Pico amp
RSA P-51/SR-71A

I will have to be patient :p

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #35 of 561
WOW...I think UPS does a better job shipping from China, than across the US!

Just about all Il get to tonight...very nicely packaged as always and a nice little plastic case for the opamp kit! FUN! HASTA MANANA!

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #36 of 561

Quote:
Things I'm interested in reading comparisons of the iBasso P4 against:
Headstage Arrow 12HE 2G
iBasso D12/P3+
Meier STEPDANCE

In that order :p
I will have to be patient.

I'm particularly interested in battery life comparisons across the various amps. Getting an amp for a little over $200 is great, but not so great when you spend $300+ on 9-volt batteries over the 12 months of ownership. Perhaps the guy who wrote the infamous 'getting out of portable audio - its all too silly' thread had a point after all.

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #37 of 561
So far out of the box,  I find the P4 to be one of iBasso's best amplifier efforts yet.  The tonality and harmonics of voices and instruments is very accurate.  Balance throughout the audio spectrum is excellent, with no sibilance and no overemphasis of either highs or lows which permit the mids to be presented clearly and naturally.   (And I haven't even opened the case yet!)  

If your amp needs do not require a built-in DAC, and you are looking for desktop-like performance in a customizable portable amplifier, the P4 should be on your short list!

I am continually amazed at the levels to which iBasso have taken portable technology. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #38 of 561
Ron, is it premature to ask for a comparison with the D4 ? I know it gets old to be asked to compare a new amp with everything else out there, but I seem to recall that you spent an especially long time listening to the D4.

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #39 of 561
I haven't yet rolled any of the opamps in the rolling kit so probably my opinion of the P4 is a bit premature but out of the box with only a couple of hours of listening, it is my impression that the amp section of the P4, under the most challenging of musical inputs, will outperform the D4.  It is very likely that the P4 will prove to have the best amplifier section of any iBasso yet produced. 

As the P4 outputs significantly more power than the D4, it is capable of driving phones that require large amounts of voltage and current to higher levels prior to clipping than can the D4.   This is largely due to the more robust power supply and the fact that iBasso designed this to be a premium amplifier, with no circuitry bells or whistles to add color to the SQ.   It is what it is....a very high-quality basic amplifier that significantly narrows the gap between portables and desktops. 

With most IEMs and easily-driven phones plus reasonable volume levels, the D4 is still a capable performer.  The P4 just takes things to a different level of competence. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #41 of 561
Hey Ron, so if one already owns D4/D10/D12, you think it's a worthy upgrade considering the P4's amping abilities?

I'm guessing if anything it'll be an awesome combo with D12's dual DAC section. I'm also curious what the P4's sound signature is like, more specifically in comparison to the D12 in the areas of: Bright/Dark, Details, Instrument Seperation, and Soundstage.

Also, a quick comment on how it compares to the D12+Topkit.

Really appreciate it!

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #42 of 561
I have done a little preliminary listening myself and am totally wowed...I could not resist, its late but she was definitely calling me.
Its definitely way to early to do A/B comparisons, but it sounds amazing, the fit/finish and the quality of the components being used by IBASSO are top notch.  I know she is going to sound better but it is hard to believe...I was feeding her a little Scofield via Sony Single Well CD player and my Silver IC.
Time to go to sleep, though I wish to keep listening.  One thing I like to do is to actually listen to amps while they burn in, some run them while they sleep, etc...I prefer to hear the subtle, yet profound changes in the separation and soundstage.
Cheers to Ibasso with another home run!
These are incredible times for head-fi!!!!

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #43 of 561

Quote:
Hey Ron, so if one already owns D4/D10/D12, you think it's a worthy upgrade considering the P4's amping abilities?

I'm guessing if anything it'll be an awesome combo with D12's dual DAC section. I'm also curious what the P4's sound signature is like, more specifically in comparison to the D12 in the areas of: Bright/Dark, Details, Instrument Seperation, and Soundstage.

Also, a quick comment on how it compares to the D12+Topkit.

Really appreciate it!

It is difficult, if not impossible, to compare the P4 to the D12, as the possible combinations of opamps that are available in the rolling kit will make significant differences in the SQ of the P4.

It will be possible to configure the P4 so as to sound nearly identical to the D10 Topkit, as iBasso has chosen to include the D10 Topkit L/R Class A module in the P4 rolling kit.   As I stated previously, iBasso has included a really fine selection of premium audio opamps in the supplied rolling kit.  The opamps in the kit will most certainly do justice to the quality of the P4 circuitry.

I think the choice between the D12 and P4 will boil down to whether or not one needs the optical, coax, and usb inputs of the D12 or would prefer the more customizable P4 and be limited to  Aux input only. 

For use with the more difficult-to-drive cans, or for those who choose to listen at head-banging volume levels, the P4 is probably the wiser choice. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #44 of 561
Quote:
It is difficult, if not impossible, to compare the P4 to the D12, as the possible combinations of opamps that are available in the rolling kit will make significant differences in the SQ of the P4.

It will be possible to configure the P4 so as to sound nearly identical to the D10 Topkit, as iBasso has chosen to include my Topkit L/R Class A module in the P4 rolling kit.   As I stated previously, iBasso has included a really fine selection of premium audio opamps in the supplied rolling kit.  The opamps in the kit will most certainly do justice to the quality of the P4 circuitry. 

Ron's opamp selections are clearly ahead of their time
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #45 of 561

Quote:
Ron's opamp selections are clearly ahead of their time
smily_headphones1.gif

The D12 Topkit is now completed and includes 2 sets of L/R opamps + buffers.  This should improve compatiblity when using different music genres and different headphones or IEMs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back