Ortofon e-Q7 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #586 of 760
The crackle you are hearing may be earwax in the tips. Try washing the tips in water and see if you hear the crackle again. I've had this happen before.

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #587 of 760
Well they are brand new and I cleaned my ears before I tried them so I doubt that's the issue. Sounds quite strange, can't say i've ever experienced it before. Thanks for the reply mate.

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #588 of 760
Given the comments on the cable, I must repeat what I said about a slider - it solves most problems for me.

I hates the microphonic cable because I only wear these on the go (and I walk a lot). I tried Sennheiser ear hooks/guides but they're not great because the eQ-7 is a bit thinner/smaller than IE7/IE8 (I would assume). Phonak guides are supposed to be better.

The slider. Someone else on here (can't remember, but thank and credit to him) suggested using electrical/PVC tape for the slider. I did this myself but it was okay for a few days at most, because it came loose. Here are instrucions for what I did and what has been working great for a few weeks (and it takes a few minutes):
---
You'll need some electrical, PVC or duct tape - choose your own colour. I would think stronger tape would be better because it would have less flex, but I used PVC/electrical becuase that's what I had in black. In terms of slider length, electrical tape (small width, like same ordiinary Sellotape is perfect).
You'll also need some scissors.

Take the outside of the tape (non-adheive side) and wrap it around the cables near the Y-split so that theres about 2 mm of overlap - stick it to the other side of the tape, so it's stuck.
Now you'll need a second person for best results. While holding the tape you've wrapped and stuck, have the other person go around what you've done once or twice more, very tightly. Cut off.
Now get another small peice of tape, same width, and wrap your slider, adhesive face down.
That's it - if you can slide it but the slider doesn't slide back down itself, you've done a good job.

A clip (maybe from a handsfree kit from an old phone) can be helpful too, in reducing cable noise.

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #589 of 760
I just took a twist-tie and trimmed it, then wrapped it around the cable to the proper tension.

That was months ago, and I have never had to adjust it since:

Poor photo, but you get the idea.

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #590 of 760
I just took a twist-tie and trimmed it, then wrapped it around the cable to the proper tension.

I did the same thing. It's never fallen off, gotten loose, or anything. It works just like a normal slider on any other IEM.

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #591 of 760

Quote:
My impressions of the e-Q7 so far...

I have only listened to 5 of my favourite tracks. All different genres so I can get a good idea of how versatile these IEM's are.

I used the stock medium tips and they seem to seal well but the right does get loose over time compared to the left. I think I have different sized ear canals.

They are fast. Really fast!
Bass is tight and punchy though not as much as my TF10's. Maybe it will improve after burn in.
Vocals are outstanding.
Soundstage is outstanding.
Treble is very good but not overpowering.
They are extremely comfortable unlike my TF10's.

One thing i'm noticing is that there seems to be a slight crackle now and then. Very faint but it's there and somewhat annoying. I noticed it most listening to John Mayer - Battle Studies. Could be the recording?

Anyway, so far i'm very impressed. I think these will improve a lot after burn in and with better tips. I'm hearing detail I have never heard before and that's always a good sign.

With sony hybird tips, bass is improved even it is not as punch as IE8, TF10pro, it suits my taste well.

The step up of clarity is distinct when comparing to above IEM

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #592 of 760
I don't think a twist tie would work for me as I tend to move the slider up and down a lot. Here's mine

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #593 of 760
I'm starting to think there is something wrong with my e-Q7. They are so harsh, even below normal listening levels. They just seem over focused on treble and as a result all other sounds get lost apart from bass which punches through. They definitely aren't burnt-in yet as I have only listened for about an hour but i'm wondering if this is normal or if they do indeed need significant burn-in. There is barely no seperation at all due to the harshness I described.

Jul 10, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #594 of 760
the e-Q7 is a very mid-centric IEM, something is wrong. some even say the highs don't extend enough. try getting a better fit, they should slide pretty deep into your ear, and not dangle or fall out easily.

Jul 10, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #595 of 760
^ x2, I'm afraid to say. First the crackling and now this. Maybe it's a fit issue (I couldn't get a good seal with the stock tips) or there's something wrong with the drivers.

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #596 of 760
I had some minor issue with the e-Q7 a couple weeks ago but don't think it's related. The sound was very strange all of a sudden when I was on the subway. It was kinda like someone decided to take out the vocals so it sounded like a karaoke setting. It was fine if I pulled the plug out and didn't put it all the way but when I put the plug fully in it would have that. That was an interesting issue to say the least :) It was a short by the split  area so a friend opened it up and fixed it for me.

However it does sound like an issue. I'm one of them who feels there's a minor lack of extension at the top.

edit: I've finally gotten myself a decent dac that doesn't have too much coloration and they sound even better than before :)

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #597 of 760
Yeah, experimentation with tips is essential with any IEM. The eQ-7 has fantastic stock tips. I'll write my full impressions later as I've had this for a few weeks :)
ANyway, wearing them over-the-ear prevents any microphonics with any IEM and it's no different with the eQ-7.

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #598 of 760
I'm thinking of getting these paired with Sony A846.
However, I'm afraid this combination would hiss a lot as I've seen here(may be dfkt's post) that these IEM are a little bit too sensitive.
Is there anyone who has both A846 and e-q7s?  Is hiss when plugged into A846 bearable?  How's the synergy?
Thanks in advance

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #599 of 760

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting these paired with Sony A846.
However, I'm afraid this combination would hiss a lot as I've seen here(may be dfkt's post) that these IEM are a little bit too sensitive.
Is there anyone who has both A846 and e-q7s?  Is hiss when plugged into A846 bearable?  How's the synergy?
Thanks in advance

I have NWZ-A816 and it sounded great with the e-Q7. The hiss might only be bothersome if you listen at 1-3 out of 30 and only in quiet listening environments. In loud places the background noise will drown out much more of the music than the hiss from the player.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #600 of 760
Does anyone know if Ortofon E-q7 can be remolded?

Mail'd to UM and they told they can. Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back