Ortofon e-Q7 Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #571 of 760

Quote:
I've had a detailed listening with the SRH840, SRH750DJ, K271 MKII, M50, MDR-V6, D1001K.
Demo impressions with the HD800 (yes, that HD800), DT770 PRO.

Although they are all great, none of them made me forget the e-Q7. Many times I still found myself comparing them to the e-Q7 and using them as reference. I admit, I didn't get enough headtime with the HD800, and from my demo impressions they were stunning, but nothing that made me want to immediately pawn off my e-Q7 so I could get enough money to buy them. I will concede that the HD800 was better, but again, they were driven out of a pretty high-end system and even then the e-Q7 still wasn't completely forgotten by me. Maybe next time I get a longer impression of the HD800 I will change my mind, because admittedly I didn't spend as much time with them as I wanted to.

However, I can safely say that among the SRH840, SRH750DJ, K271 MKII, M50, MDR-V6, DT770 PRO, D1001K, none of them surpass the e-Q7 and some of them are even put to shame when you A/B them next to the e-Q7.

I had opportunities to listen to the K701, HD600, HD650, but I am not comfortable giving an opinion on them yet. Next month when I go back to Boston I will be able to get a detailed session with them (and the HD800) so then I may be able to tell you how those compare with the e-Q7.

e-Q7 sounds at least like a solid mid-fi full sized headphone. This means that it easily outperform such low-fi'ish (IMO) cans as M50, D1001 and V6. It is more in the league with the K271, SRH840 and DT770, but overall are still technically and musically superior in many ways IMO, especially musically - the e-Q7 has a very unique and very sweet sound signature that no other headphone I've heard has and that makes them quite special. They are especially awesome with rock and electronica in my opinion - their colorful and yet coherent signature really makes those genres come alive.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #572 of 760
I find that I need to wear the e-Q7 cable over the ear/upside down to get a deep enough and proper fit. Does anyone else find this to be the case?

I still love mine btw.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #573 of 760
I find that I need to wear the e-Q7 cable over the ear/upside down to get a deep enough and proper fit. Does anyone else find this to be the case?

I still love mine btw.

This is the case for me as well. They are ideally worn over the ear and insert much deeper when done this way. The fit is much better than when they are worn down. It also seems that Ortofon designed them to be worn this way.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #574 of 760
I get good fits with both over or straight down. I much prefer over the ear but sometimes when I'm sitting with my netbook I just wear them straight down as it is easier to put in that way.

Interesting comments Eraser although I wouldn't put the e-Q7 in the same league as the HD800. I had a session with them a while ago and the e-Q7 wasn't that close imo. Headphones in the range of D10001 and such should be surpassed by the e-Q7 and mid-fi cans sounds about right.

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #575 of 760

Quote:
This is the case for me as well. They are ideally worn over the ear and insert much deeper when done this way. The fit is much better than when they are worn down. It also seems that Ortofon designed them to be worn this way.

I've always figured that IEMS such as Shure or Westone are obviously meant for over the ear because of their design(monitor style). With the e-Q7 profile, and other similar styles, I've assumed that these were designed primarily for wearing "down".  If Ortofon did actually intend for over the ear, then why did they not include a cable management/tie? I've been using a shirt clip but have been meaning to come up with something better.

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #576 of 760

Quote:
^ I think you would like them. They are not as ultra-refined as the SM3, but they are very transparent and have extreme clarity across the whole frequency range, an aspect in which they beat the SM3 hands down. As you know, I'm still trying to form a conclusive opinion on the SM3, but I can safely say that they don't make me want to sell my Ortofons.

I couldn't recall why I sold my e-Q7...Oh, to fund a DAP. A DAP of a retail price $800, which I never regret even once for selling it after realising I don't enjoy it...

It makes me want the e-Q7 again.

Quote:
I totally agree with this. I am selling my SM3 right now because clarity and musicality is really not that great on them. They are too technical IMO. e-Q7 is more fun to listen to IMO as it has a more natural, musical sound. Right now, I decided to turn the Hifiman route and will be trying out RE252 and the new RE-ZERO, but if those won't do it for me, them I will most definitely be going back to the wonderful e-Q7.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Woohoo, I am also eager to see what those new RE-262 have to offer!
@pianist: So, you also left the SM3 clan? Hope you'll enjoy the RE-252 more. Definitely worth a try, even more if you can find them second hand for a good price ^^

You two are making me want to have a try for the RE-series :)

Quote:
you should think about the RE262 as well Pianist :) That is supposed to come out sometime this month assuming no delays like the RE-Zero.

I've been told by a couple of people that the SM3 isn't for me so I will continue to enjoy the e-Q7 as these are my only good pair of earphones right now. That should change over the next week or so but thankfully I still have my e-Q7 or I would be stuck with..PL30 or M9. I hope my recent string of bad luck on earphone build has ended. My e-Q7 had to have surgery performed on them and my Coppers had to be exchanged for a new one which should be coming in this week hopefully.

Seems like Head-Fi has come to a conclusion that SM3 is not the best of the best, or at least SM3 is not for everyone. However you won't know until you try the SM3 :)

Quote:

I still love mine btw.

I can tell that you still love your e-Q7 as long as Hayley stays as avatar ^^

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #577 of 760
^
I'll let those people decide for me :) If clarity isn't as good as the e-Q7 (I can't expect CK10 clarity since those are the best I've had) then I can move on. It's better for my wallet as well since $400 is a bit much for a universal imo.

lol kls..you sold the e-Q7 for the hifiman 801 didnt u :p $800 is too much for a dap imo as well. I like my $40 clip+ :)

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #580 of 760
but overall are still technically and musically superior in many ways IMO, especially musically - the e-Q7 has a very unique and very sweet sound signature that no other headphone I've heard has and that makes them quite special. They are especially awesome with rock and electronica in my opinion - their colorful and yet coherent signature really makes those genres come alive.

I have to say you hit the proverbial nail squarely on the head. I couldn't have said it better myself. There's something about the e-Q7's signature that makes it so musical, smooth, and engaging, yet still very detailed, crisp, and technically adept. It is really a most pleasing blend of these features.

If you had to compare them technically to mid-fi phones, you might come to a draw, but it has a certain "X-factor", the musicality, that pulls them over the edge and wins them out for me in my heart.

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #581 of 760

Quote:
^
I'll let those people decide for me :) If clarity isn't as good as the e-Q7 (I can't expect CK10 clarity since those are the best I've had) then I can move on. It's better for my wallet as well since $400 is a bit much for a universal imo.

lol kls..you sold the e-Q7 for the hifiman 801 didnt u :p $800 is too much for a dap imo as well. I like my $40 clip+ :)

Quote:
You mean Hifiman 801?

Quote:
^
yes :) I know KLS did have that dap at one point but sold it afterwards.

gameboy115, rawrster got me there :) I sold some other IEMs and headphones as well to fund that DAP. e-Q7 is the one I miss the most.

rawrster, to make my long story short :wink: If you want accurate souding IEMs, (of my IEMs collection) I would suggest SM3. Though SM3 is lacking clarity in the midrange compared to CK10.

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #582 of 760
^Only if you wanna trade your SM3 for my PL30 :) It has 30 in the number so obviously it's better than just a single digit 3 lol

Actually I'm going to waiting a good month before anymore purchases. I got some stuff on the way which you already know anyway and won't have time to get anything else. Stop trying to be evil :)

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #583 of 760
Quote:

I still love mine btw.

x2 upside down, I even can lay down comfortably with them this way.

Quote:
Woohoo, I am also eager to see what those new RE-262 have to offer!
@pianist: So, you also left the SM3 clan? Hope you'll enjoy the RE-252 more. Definitely worth a try, even more if you can find them second hand for a good price ^^

I was very impressed by what the RE252 had to offer sonically, but design/fit is hit or miss. Hope the RE262 improve on this.

Quote:
I totally agree with this. I am selling my SM3 right now because clarity and musicality is really not that great on them. They are too technical IMO. e-Q7 is more fun to listen to IMO as it has a more natural, musical sound. Right now, I decided to turn the Hifiman route and will be trying out RE252 and the new RE-ZERO, but if those won't do it for me, them I will most definitely be going back to the wonderful e-Q7.
biggrin.gif

My provisional results from assessing dfkt's loaner SM3 made me take a more extreme route. I have realized that my dream IEM would have to offer the refinement of the SM3, but the leaner and clearer sound signature of the e-Q7. From what I've read there's currently only one universal IEM out there that might have the potential to fit this bill. Coincidentally it's also by far the most expensive. Anyway, I have to hear it before I draw my final conclusions on the SM3.
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #584 of 760
My impressions of the e-Q7 so far...

I have only listened to 5 of my favourite tracks. All different genres so I can get a good idea of how versatile these IEM's are.

I used the stock medium tips and they seem to seal well but the right does get loose over time compared to the left. I think I have different sized ear canals.

They are fast. Really fast!
Bass is tight and punchy though not as much as my TF10's. Maybe it will improve after burn in.
Vocals are outstanding.
Soundstage is outstanding.
Treble is very good but not overpowering.
They are extremely comfortable unlike my TF10's.

One thing i'm noticing is that there seems to be a slight crackle now and then. Very faint but it's there and somewhat annoying. I noticed it most listening to John Mayer - Battle Studies. Could be the recording?

Anyway, so far i'm very impressed. I think these will improve a lot after burn in and with better tips. I'm hearing detail I have never heard before and that's always a good sign.

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #585 of 760
Should also add that i'm finding these a touch harsh when I turn up the volume. I'm playing directly from a 5th Gen iPod and using the foam tips now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back