Ortofon e-Q7 Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #601 of 760

Quote:
I have NWZ-A816 and it sounded great with the e-Q7. The hiss might only be bothersome if you listen at 1-3 out of 30 and only in quiet listening environments. In loud places the background noise will drown out much more of the music than the hiss from the player.

Thanks.
From what I've seen Sony digital-amp players has more hiss than conventional Sony players so my worry is still unsolved
But today I went to a general merchandising store to see how e-q7 looks and  was fascinated by the beauty of these IEM. I can safely say  these IEM are the best looking earphones out there.
I couldn't help but buy e-q7s,,,Ordered !!
At least I can share you guys my picture after arrival

Jul 18, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #603 of 760

Quote:
great another e-Q7 user, still i cant decided between the UM3x and e-Q7 for my last audio purchase next month...

If you want a musical, natural sound, get the e-Q7. If you want analytical, monitoring sound, get the UM3X. e-Q7 has much more treble presence than the UM3X, tighter bass and a bit of a boost in the upper mids which gives it a very bright (in a good way - not harsh), lively sound. UM3X sounds much more laid back in the treble and a bit recessed in the upper mids, but does beat the e-Q7 in instrument separation so it is easier to analyze sound with the UM3X. e-Q7 sounds more coherent and musically rich and was made for music enjoyment, not critical listening.

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #604 of 760
Nice comparison between the UM3X and e-Q7, Pianist, thanks for that.

And Noir7, "last audio purchase", lol...

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #605 of 760
It could happen :) I haven't bought any earphone in around a month or so. I've actually been enjoying the e-Q7 a lot lately especially now that I have gotten myself a better dac/amp. They sound much better than before.

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #606 of 760
Well okay, I haven't needed another IEM since the e-Q7, so I can definitely agree with that. Although there are many IEMs that I would like to try, I haven't felt the need to since I enjoy the e-Q7 so much. But I've been going off the deep end with my desktop rigs lately!

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #607 of 760
I guess this is where my wallet thanks me. I am only home for around 2 hours daily not including sleep and I am not willing to spend that much money on a headphone rig for 2 hrs a day. I do almost all my listening on the go with my netbook or clip+ so I am pretty happy with that. The e-Q7 is a nice earphone to have and definitely a very interesting one. I'm getting closer to being done with bigger earphone purchases however. I think down the line I may buy a dynamic driver that suits me more than my Coppers do and maybe another multi BA driver phone or possibly the dual driver dynamic when they come out with that more ergonomic model. I am in no rush for any of those as I get my customs on Tuesday and get to sort fit and all that out. For the last month or so I am very satisfied with my e-Q7 and they definitely are very close to my sound signature. I do like a bit more sparkle but these are still very enjoyable and I wouldn't change much on this phone outside of a better cable and maybe smaller housings. If I have a long listening session without taking them out I do have to take breaks once in a while since it hurts my ears but that is not for very long.

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #608 of 760
the truths is i really don't want to depend on the gimmick (single or multiple BA) to find my own music enjoyment through it but still its bugging me if a multiple BA does have a handicap over single BA, and this will be my last purchase that will make my wallet cry a lot so i don't want to mess up...
based on people opinion that i gather the e-Q7 will be the an upgrade over my PFE since it sound identically and the UM3x will be an massive upgrade over my eterna based on its bass presence.
so if i like my PFE sounding then i should count on e-Q7 right?
Quote:
If you want a musical, natural sound, get the e-Q7. If you want analytical, monitoring sound, get the UM3X. e-Q7 has much more treble presence than the UM3X, tighter bass and a bit of a boost in the upper mids which gives it a very bright (in a good way - not harsh), lively sound. UM3X sounds much more laid back in the treble and a bit recessed in the upper mids, but does beat the e-Q7 in instrument separation so it is easier to analyze sound with the UM3X. e-Q7 sounds more coherent and musically rich and was made for music enjoyment, not critical listening.

yeah last purchase because i'll be buying a very expensive product that really make my bank account depleted and this will be the most expensive item that i ever own beside my PC part.
after this i dont plan to buy another audio product unless it need a replacement :D

Quote:
Nice comparison between the UM3X and e-Q7, Pianist, thanks for that.

And Noir7, "last audio purchase", lol...

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #609 of 760
I don't consider multiple BA drivers a gimmick. I think of it as this. Multiple BA driver phones have the potential of being better but not necessarily better. The apple dual driver earphone has 2 in them but no one considers them better than a lot of single BA earphones. The ER4 is a single driver and they are very highly regarded and even more than many multiple BA driver phones.

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #611 of 760
Quote:
e-Q7 has much more treble presence than the UM3X, tighter bass and a bit of a boost in the upper mids which gives it a very bright (in a good way - not harsh), lively sound. UM3X sounds much more laid back in the treble and a bit recessed in the upper mids, but does beat the e-Q7 in instrument separation so it is easier to analyze sound with the UM3X. e-Q7 sounds more coherent and musically rich and was made for music enjoyment, not critical listening.

Red = e-Q7. Not so much of an upper mids boost I'd say, unless you mean that small spike at 4k. Looks more like a rather neutral phone to me than a bright one. (You aren't using the SM3 as a reference, are you?
wink.gif
)

IMO bada bing gave an excellent description of the Ortofons' sound signature back in the other e-Q7 thread:
Quote:
bada bing said:

My impression of the e-Q7 so far is it is very different in presentation from IEM's I'm familiar with. It's very very "polite", which is something that isn't designed into the IEM's I'm familiar with. It doesn't have exaggerations that call attention to it. In general I've found that colorations are much much more tolerated in IEMs than full size cans and appear to be included by design in many cases. So far, the e-Q7 is striking me as very similar to the HD600 signature. I am fond of the HD600 when it's well driven and the e-Q7 has a lot of the positives of the HD600. The e-Q7 is neutral with a touch of warmth, very good extension on both high and lows, has very impressive layering of soundstage. I wouldn't call it the absolute most transparent IEM I've heard but it has top tier clarity.

I'm wondering if eventually I may find the e-Q7 sound not suitable for an IEM keeper though. I would never bring along an HD600 rig to the places I use IEMs and not just because of the weight & unwieldiness. Most of the places I use IEM's -on planes, at the gym and at work when I want isolation/distraction- aren't critical listening environments. I tend to like a lot more "flashiness" in an IEM than I would tolerate in a can. The e-Q7 may be too honest and polite to get enough IEM use by me.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #612 of 760

Quote:

Red = e-Q7. Not so much of an upper mids boost I'd say, unless you mean that small spike at 4k. Looks more like a rather neutral phone to me than a bright one. (You aren't using the SM3 as a reference, are you?
wink.gif
)

IMO bada bing gave an excellent description of the Ortofons' sound signature back in the other e-Q7 thread:

As you can see on that graph, the e-Q7 sounds quite peaky above ~2.5 kHz that what makes it sound fun.

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #614 of 760

Quote:
Hi everyone,

When I tried a pair of e-q7s I noticed that they only seem to start sounding to their potential when `louder'. Does anyone else experience this? Perhaps I am just deaf 
dt880smile.png

WHAT PART OF THERE SOUND WAS BETTER WHEN YOU TURNED UP THE VOLUME  , BASS OR TREBLE OR  MIDS , OR EVERYTHING ?

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #615 of 760
For me it was everything, but especially in the mids. With my lowly e4c's, I feel like I can hear a lot more detail at lower volumes, whereas this wasn't the case when I tried my friend's e-q7s. I am in the process of looking to buy a pair of e-q7s potentially but am just concerned about having to kill my ears to enjoy the music -- after all I think part of the point of in-ears is so that even at low volumes I can have pure musical bliss without outside distraction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back