Ortofon e-Q7 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #616 of 760

Quote:
For me it was everything, but especially in the mids. With my lowly e4c's, I feel like I can hear a lot more detail at lower volumes, whereas this wasn't the case when I tried my friend's e-q7s. I am in the process of looking to buy a pair of e-q7s potentially but am just concerned about having to kill my ears to enjoy the music -- after all I think part of the point of in-ears is so that even at low volumes I can have pure musical bliss without outside distraction.

i always found the ortos to have plenty of detail at lower volumes ,in the midrange most of all , did you put them all the way into your ears , mine go in all the way up to the cord housing

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #617 of 760
thanks lucozade, that's reassuring. I thought I had it all the way in there (the seal felt good) but that could be. I have no way to check at the moment sense those particular e-q7's are currently thousands of miles away 
tongue.gif

Do you have any reservations in recommending e-q7s? I did hear a tremendous amount of detail and speed that I was not used to hearing on my e4cs.

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #618 of 760
I ,have no reservations about recommending the eq7 ,although there sound signature is not my personal favorite as they are the most mid forward iem i have,after a few hours i find them too much  .they do however have a lot of very fine quality's about them and are quite unique sounding and there transparency is second only to the SM3 in my opinion.

Quote:
thanks lucozade, that's reassuring. I thought I had it all the way in there (the seal felt good) but that could be. I have no way to check at the moment sense those particular e-q7's are currently thousands of miles away 
tongue.gif

Do you have any reservations in recommending e-q7s? I did hear a tremendous amount of detail and speed that I was not used to hearing on my e4cs.

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #619 of 760

Quote:
Hi everyone,

When I tried a pair of e-q7s I noticed that they only seem to start sounding to their potential when `louder'. Does anyone else experience this? Perhaps I am just deaf 
dt880smile.png

If you are not using an amp that may have something to do with it, as the e-Q7 may need some power behind the volume, and without a proper amp you may have to turn the volume up more to achieve a decent power level. I'm not trying to start an amplifier debate, just throwing it out there as it matches my experience. I can get decent volume out of the e-Q7 unamped, but the performance definitely improves with an amp.

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #620 of 760
Thanks! Still deciding between the SM3s and eq7s... pretty sure it's going to be a big upgrade over my current e4cs either way! I was fairly set on the eq7s until the "volume experience" and reading more about the SM3s.

EDIT: if you (or anyone) have any suggestions on SM3 vs eq7 I would love to hear them. Couldn't find any review threads that put them head to head, although I did see some mentioning that SM3 is slightly superior, per treble and soundstage.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #622 of 760

Quote:
Thanks! Still deciding between the SM3s and eq7s... pretty sure it's going to be a big upgrade over my current e4cs either way! I was fairly set on the eq7s until the "volume experience" and reading more about the SM3s.

EDIT: if you (or anyone) have any suggestions on SM3 vs eq7 I would love to hear them. Couldn't find any review threads that put them head to head, although I did see some mentioning that SM3 is slightly superior, per treble and soundstage.

Those comparisons were from the "new car smell" period of the sm3. Now that that's faded, I'd like to see some people go back and make a new comparison.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #624 of 760
I need a little help guys. I have a chance to get a pair of these. But, in order to do so I would have to return my newly purchased Turbine Pro Golds w/ControlTalk that I love very much. Are these better? Advice please.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #625 of 760

Quote:
I need a little help guys. I have a chance to get a pair of these. But, in order to do so I would have to return my newly purchased Turbine Pro Golds w/ControlTalk that I love very much. Are these better? Advice please.

Better ? technicaly  yes ,but a totally different sound so it depends how much you like the golds ?

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #626 of 760

Better ? technicaly  yes ,but a totally different sound so it depends how much you like the golds ?

Thanks for the quick response. I love the bass and overall warmth of the golds. I've only got about 20 hours on them. I run them with an iPhone 4 and iBasso T3D ATM but am in the process of selling the t3d for a high end portable amp. How do the two sound different? Thanks man.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #627 of 760
I also meant to ask if there are any counterfeit e-q7's out there? Should I be worried. I know there's a lot of fake Monster phones out there...

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #629 of 760

The eq7 have a much more lean (some might say thin) and bright bass and the treble while nicely extended is not as bright and sparkly as the treble on the golds and the eq7 is a mids oriented phone (forward midrange and vocals ) and the eq7 have a level of transparency that the golds do not come close to.

The golds are a more bass oriented phone and is a lot warmer sounding than the eq7 

If i could only one off these two iem's i would take the eq7 even though it is not really my sound signature 
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. I love the bass and overall warmth of the golds. I've only got about 20 hours on them. I run them with an iPhone 4 and iBasso T3D ATM but am in the process of selling the t3d for a high end portable amp. How do the two sound different? Thanks man.

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #630 of 760
Thanks guys. How about warranty? Lifetime? Transfer to 2nd/3rd hand owners? I bought the Golds brand new and as you know, they have an excellent lifetime warranty. How about Ortofon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back