Ortofon e-Q7 Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #211 of 760
It is recommended to use most if not iem's over the ear :p I would be surprised if you did not get microphonics when wearing an iem straight down on any iem. I just made my own cable slider since it did not come with one so problems solved.

You can get over the ear guide from phonak for 8 bucks if you live in the US.
AudéoWorld PFE Shopping Cart

I don't know why I keep going to this thread when it updates :p I won't have mine back until next Monday probably. I wanna just skip this week and get it back :]

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #214 of 760
The ortos reproduce a very good combination of tight bass and impactfull drum sounds ive found. and 40hrs or so from out of the box the treble is so much more alive than it was out of the box.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #215 of 760
I'm having the interest in these cute e-q7s
biggrin.gif
, though I still wonder about the quality of the cable. Is it durable enough for years of use
bigsmile_face.gif
? Since the price is quite high, it would be too sad to say goodbye after just one or two years
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #216 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by quangphucqp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having the interest in these cute e-q7s
biggrin.gif
, though I still wonder about the quality of the cable. Is it durable enough for years of use
bigsmile_face.gif
? Since the price is quite high, it would be too sad to say goodbye after just one or two years
biggrin.gif

Hi, i think the cable will be fine if you look after your gear, the eq7 have the same type of cable as my custom 3 except the c3 cable is about half the thickness of the eq7s and that is as good now as it was out of the box , 7-8 months later
wink_face.gif
, these are fast becoming my favorate for listening to rock music on.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #217 of 760
After having these in my ears for another two days im now more used to there sound signiture, i found it a little fatuging after long listening sessions at first,becouse its so differrent to what im used too, but now ive got used to it some more,its pretty impressive and i can listen all day

On the other had rock music sounds fantastic on the ortos,i love there tight focused bass and crisp drum beats and the speed in the treble, cymbals sound as good on the ortos as they do on the tf10.Infact i think the treble on the ortos is the most enjoyable treble off all my iems

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #218 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After having these in my ears for another two days im now more used to there sound signiture, i found it a little fatuging after long listening sessions at first,becouse its so differrent to what im used too, but now ive got used to it some more,its pretty impressive and i can listen all day

On the other had rock music sounds fantastic on the ortos,i love there tight focused bass and crisp drum beats and the speed in the treble, cymbals sound as good on the ortos as they do on the tf10.Infact i think the treble on the ortos is the most enjoyable treble off all my iems

Agreed totally. I think half of "break in" is 90% mental though
tongue.gif

I love these damn things, they just keep getting better and better. The treble is definitely smoothing out, without losing anything dynamically. The bass reminds me of my HE-5s in a way, totally there when you need it while staying unassuming in the overall sound spectrum. The mids are perfect to my ears, a good blend between analytical and musical.

Today I let my iMod/Arrow loose on about 85 gigs of random lossless song files, getting out of my soft rock/bluesy jazz album rut for the first time with the e-Q7s. Everything from classical to Motown to Hendrix to Jamgrass sounded exemplary. I heard nuances in Ziggy Marley's voice that I had not before, there is a wide variety to the drum tones, and great texture is revealed in stringed instruments.

On Handel's "Water Music Suite", there is some extremely loud, high-frequency trumpet blasts that come out of nowhere and would normally cause me some pain, as they are right in my sensitivity "wheelhouse". As I reflexively reached for the volume control, I realized that I could handle it and left it alone. I don't think I would have been able to do so out of the box, but I actually enjoyed the trumpets at "full" volume.

One thing I want to point out is that the e-Q7s seem pretty forgiving of less than perfect recordings for the amount of detail they offer. I appreciate this because of the wide variety of music that I listen to; some are of the "vintage" variety and the quality can vary greatly.

I have some minor ergonomic complaints, but none that actually interfere with my enjoyment of the e-Q7s. If they (and/or my psycho-acoustic adjustment to them) keep improving, I might have to force myself to actually fire up my desktop setups, as I am using my portable rig all over the house now!

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #219 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I want to point out is that the e-Q7s seem pretty forgiving of less than perfect recordings for the amount of detail they offer.

Spot-on observation, grokit! I've been frequently catching myself thinking the same while listening to older recordings with the e-Q7.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #220 of 760
grokit;6526210 said:
One thing I want to point out is that the e-Q7s seem pretty forgiving of less than perfect recordings for the amount of detail they offer. I appreciate this because of the wide variety of music that I listen to; some are of the "vintage" variety and the quality can vary greatly.

@ grokit ,thats intresting, i have lots of vintage recordings taken from cds to lossless code,ill try some out on the ortos tonight,might as well start with the oldest i have,my JIMMY ROGERS box set ,these recordings date from the late 1920s -early 1930s.
k701smile.gif

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #221 of 760
My wallet wants me to tell you guys to stop bumping this thread...

I've moved from wanting Red to Silver btw.

popcorn.gif
--I'll just continue to enjoy your impressions.

Someday they will be mine...oh yes.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #222 of 760
your wallet is already gone probably :p Silver is a nice color I agree
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm pretty excited since I get mine back on Monday and get to have a proper listen to them the next couple weeks
biggrin.gif
Too bad your in Virginia and not NYC. You could have a free listen if you were :p

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #223 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spot-on observation, grokit!

Thanks
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ grokit ,thats intresting, i have lots of vintage recordings taken from cds to lossless code,ill try some out on the ortos tonight,might as well start with the oldest i have,my JIMMY ROGERS box set ,these recordings date from the late 1920s -early 1930s.
k701smile.gif

That's more "vintage" than I usually listen to; I go back to the 50's and 60's at the most usually, but I do occasionally listen to Billie Holiday or the REALLY vintage (and REALLY occasional) Enrico Caruso.

Be sure to let us know how that goes!

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #224 of 760
Just got a silver Ortofon e-Q7 last week from ALO Audio (Ken was a pleasure to do business with).

My head has been filled with music, my heart lifted with joy of new discovery of old favorite pieces, my ears plugged with sony hybrid tips and can’t hear my wife’s silent treatment for slurping, and my bottom heated from the burned wallet.
Thanks to the people in this forum, especially ericp10, whose impression pushed me over the fence. I appreciate reviews about sound signatures, frequency responses and stuffs, but it is the individual human response to actually hearing from this equipment that I am craving for.
Hearing Dire Straits “brothers in arms” with my home system allows the music to envelop me and seep through the whole body surface, with the overall sensation of being in the room with the band in front of me. With Ortofon e-Q7, the experience is definitely gripping and different. It feels like pure music without room and smoke coloration, and the music gets hold of my heart and won’t let go.
The Ortofon e-Q7 fails to impress me with full orchestral music, probably because I need to feel the power to thump my chest and tickle my skin, but so far, for vocal music and pieces with limited number of instruments, it brings the music to a very intimate level to me. I am very impressed.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #225 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ez_ear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got a silver Ortofon e-Q7 last week from ALO Audio (Ken was a pleasure to do business with).

My head has been filled with music, my heart lifted with joy of new discovery of old favorite pieces, my ears plugged with sony hybrid tips and can’t hear my wife’s silent treatment for slurping, and my bottom heated from the burned wallet.
Thanks to the people in this forum, especially ericp10, whose impression pushed me over the fence. I appreciate reviews about sound signatures, frequency responses and stuffs, but it is the individual human response to actually hearing from this equipment that I am craving for.
Hearing Dire Straits “brothers in arms” with my home system allows the music to envelop me and seep through the whole body surface, with the overall sensation of being in the room with the band in front of me. With Ortofon e-Q7, the experience is definitely gripping and different. It feels like pure music without room and smoke coloration, and the music gets hold of my heart and won’t let go.
The Ortofon e-Q7 fails to impress me with full orchestral music, probably because I need to feel the power to thump my chest and tickle my skin, but so far, for vocal music and pieces with limited number of instruments, it brings the music to a very intimate level to me. I am very impressed.

Ez_ear it's a joy that others can hear and enjoy what you enjoy, so thank you for that warm-felt compliment. It was others, like James444, cn11, search, ClieOS and average joe (among others) who helped me find my way to some of my favorite top tier IEMs. And James opened the Orto door for me. Please continue to give us detailed impressions and new sonic discoveries as your listening journey continues. Happy listening buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back