Ortofon e-Q7 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #181 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Navigation lights?
wink.gif

lol

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #183 of 760
Though you guys may already know this but I just realised the leather carrying case fits the iPhone 3GS perfectly. I can also put in the e-Q7 but it will have to be lined up at one end.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #184 of 760
Hi everyone, I have posted some questions earlier in this post and the people that replied were extremely kind and knowledgeable and asked me to post some impressions once I got the eq7.

Well here it goes, please consider that I am not a great audiophile so take my impressions with a pinch of salt... :p

I bought them this morning in Japan, it was a bit hard to find them but eventually the store staff dug some off the stock, meaning that these IEM sold really well here.

I have tried the Turbines, eq7 and the IE8 (here in Japan you can pretty much try everything on before buying) and despite a lot of background noise (biccamera in Japan has speakers shooting out loud a lot of different messages/music), I got convinced that I was doing the right choice.
IE8 are too expensive for me, turbines did not stay in my ear despite a great bass even with no seal at all.

I also bought some M size Sony hybrids to go with them as it seemed that they fit well with the eq7.

Well, what can I say? First impression is totally great. The HF5 that I had before, despite a deeper fit seem light years away from the eq7, on all aspects. When I mounted the Sony hybrids the fit improved tremendously and I have tried them over the ear in the gym (45 minutes workout with the bike) and they sat there comfortable without loosing seal (saving from the last 5 minutes where I have tried to move my jawbone in all possible way to see if they would stay in place, and even then the insulation was really good).

Soundwise bass is what I was looking for, nothing exaggerated (I am not a basshead), but rich and full, just like I like it. Mids and highs are really nice too, maybe I was concentrating too much on the music but I could hear clearly instruments that before seemed a bit muffled. I have tried jazz, rock, pop and some electro-bass music, all were really nice.

To make a comparison I put on the HF5 for a bit and saving from the absence of bass, the eq7s do an overall better job than the ETY.

I am really happy with these IEMs, although I need to test them on the plane and surely the hybrids need a bit of wearing to get the perfect fit, I already like them a lot. Tomorrow I will try them on the trains in Japan, usually crowded and noisy, for a longer time.

I was scared at first that the fact that they do not go "deep" into the ear would mean a worse noise insulation. Well I was mistaken, there is a difference but it's honestly minimal, something that you get used to with time.

So what can I say? Thanks a lot to all the people that gave me advice, it was really a great pick!

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #186 of 760
Just tried these phones at Jaben with my cousin (who went and bought em btw~).

Off hand, I felt that the soundstage's really wide and nice... just 1-2 inches shy of IE8's width I would say. As mentioned previously, the bass is very nice (cousin being the basshead fell in love when he heard its bass lol), better than the IE8 and TF10 in fact.

Only gripe I had was that the soundstage wasn't as "deep" (lateral instrument separation?) as my TF10 and I still prefer the TF10's sound (this was thru my Shadow which helped the TF's mids).

Otherwise, I'm really impressed with this single driver earphone. Definitely up there with the best. Pity Jaben was out of Monster Golds and Coppers so couldn't compare with those 2.

Just my 2 cents cheers~
k701smile.gif

*Edit*

Oh and btw, these phones are SMALL next to my TF10... fits easily into my ears... was under the impression that they were huge from the early posts on them lol...

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #187 of 760
I am not sure if I will join the appreciation troupe yet or not, but these are very nice. Fit is excellent (better than I remember), and the width of sound is very nice. Still though, the cable is annoying.

Love the aesthetics... love 'em!

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #188 of 760
^ I thought these weren't your cup of tea? Did you buy them recently?

The cable is beyond annoying. It's the most bothersome cable I've ever experienced.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #190 of 760
well its a good thing im using my CK10 then with its amazing cable then
smily_headphones1.gif

I think once my cable clip comes in the mail all my problems will be solved

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #191 of 760
Thanks for all the impressions guys... I am considering these IEMs. I ordered a pair of MTP Coppers from Dell (when they had them for $175), but my order has been delayed w/ no indication of when I'll actually get them, so I'm looking at alternatives. I have fairly large ear canals (have to use large tips for whatever IEMs I try), so I think the e-Q7's might work fit-wise.

I listen to a wide range of music. Zero classical, but lots of jazz (Ex: Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, older Acoustic Alchemy & even some smooth jazz like Fourplay), progressive rock (Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd); progressive metal (Tool, APC) & quite a bit of trance (Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk, Above & Beyond). Is there any reason to think the e-Q7's wouldn't work for me?

Based on reading various impressions, my only "worry" would be insufficient bass; bass seems to be rarely mentioned. IF I HAVE to choose, I prefer quality to quantity, but would prefer both even though I don't consider myself to be a bass-head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #195 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by stalflare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone, I have posted some questions earlier in this post and the people that replied were extremely kind and knowledgeable and asked me to post some impressions once I got the eq7.

Well here it goes, please consider that I am not a great audiophile so take my impressions with a pinch of salt... :p

I bought them this morning in Japan, it was a bit hard to find them but eventually the store staff dug some off the stock, meaning that these IEM sold really well here.

I have tried the Turbines, eq7 and the IE8 (here in Japan you can pretty much try everything on before buying) and despite a lot of background noise (biccamera in Japan has speakers shooting out loud a lot of different messages/music), I got convinced that I was doing the right choice.
IE8 are too expensive for me, turbines did not stay in my ear despite a great bass even with no seal at all.

I also bought some M size Sony hybrids to go with them as it seemed that they fit well with the eq7.

Well, what can I say? First impression is totally great. The HF5 that I had before, despite a deeper fit seem light years away from the eq7, on all aspects. When I mounted the Sony hybrids the fit improved tremendously and I have tried them over the ear in the gym (45 minutes workout with the bike) and they sat there comfortable without loosing seal (saving from the last 5 minutes where I have tried to move my jawbone in all possible way to see if they would stay in place, and even then the insulation was really good).

Soundwise bass is what I was looking for, nothing exaggerated (I am not a basshead), but rich and full, just like I like it. Mids and highs are really nice too, maybe I was concentrating too much on the music but I could hear clearly instruments that before seemed a bit muffled. I have tried jazz, rock, pop and some electro-bass music, all were really nice.

To make a comparison I put on the HF5 for a bit and saving from the absence of bass, the eq7s do an overall better job than the ETY.

I am really happy with these IEMs, although I need to test them on the plane and surely the hybrids need a bit of wearing to get the perfect fit, I already like them a lot. Tomorrow I will try them on the trains in Japan, usually crowded and noisy, for a longer time.

I was scared at first that the fact that they do not go "deep" into the ear would mean a worse noise insulation. Well I was mistaken, there is a difference but it's honestly minimal, something that you get used to with time.

So what can I say? Thanks a lot to all the people that gave me advice, it was really a great pick!

Glad we were able to help @ stalflare. and I'm really glad you are enjoying these special IEMs. Happy Listening.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back