Ortofon e-Q7 Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #151 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A chin slider would be nice...

x2. I use a small black rubber band as a substitute with some of my IEMs.

Looking forward to your impressions.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #152 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. I use a small black rubber band as a substitute with some of my IEMs.

Looking forward to your impressions.
smile_phones.gif

just dont hold your breath :p I'm pretty much going to burn in and then let someone else try them for a bit. I'm fairly busy till the end of March so won't be able to get much listening time. I've been using tape with the sticky part covered so that doesnt get on the wires but will look for better tape if I can find it. It works but it is white and used a bit too much and too lazy to change it for now.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #154 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by StereoIntegrity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone use any hip hop for this? if so how is it?

e-Q7 will sound great with hip-hop. It has terrific bass - tight, fast, punchy and very detailed.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #156 of 760
yeah shame they don't come with a slider on the cable, i use a tiny black rubber ring on my set.

I must get some more listening time on my ortofons, ive been negleting the ortos lately,been giving all my attention to my coppers.

I think tomorrow will be a day with the ortofons in my ears
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #157 of 760
search, you mean the velcro thing for managing cables? If that's what you are referring to I would not want to use that as a slider :p

I'm quite content with the tape I been using. It works quite well and is very cheap since who doesn't have tape around somewhere :p I just have to wait for the shirt clip to arrive in the mail which should be here by the end of March. It didn't take me very long to hate the cable however. It's well made but not that practical for portable use. It's most likely the worst cable I've had on an iem in terms of its practicality. It definitely needs to go under a shirt or something or there is a high chance it gets caught onto something when walking.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #158 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello @ stalflare... I have both and I like the HF5 quite a bit, but to be honest, I haven't listened to the HF5 no more than maybe twice since owning the Ortos in early December. To get right to it, they are two completely sound sigs. HF5s are more studio monitor-like. The Ortos will be a wider soundstage and more live-like (even if you're listening to studio recorded music). The HF5s are very analytical in micro details of vocals and some instrumentation. You won't get that from the Ortos. You will get, however, quite detailed instrumentation, greater transparency and clarity with the Ortos. Instruments will have more depth with the Ortos...

Now, as far as isolation, HF5 by virtue of how small the are and how you have to wear them probably gives more isolation than the Ortos. The Ortos are quite bigger than the HF5s. But if you have a medium to large ear canals and use foams like the Comply brand, you will probably get good isolation from the e-Q7. Some people don't like the Comply. I only like them with the Orto. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Hi Ericcp10, thanks for the info! I will buy the Ortos in Japan when the usiness trip that I am doing now will get me there. I have a question regarding bass, is EQ7 bass better than HF5? the Ety are quite weak in that area and I am considering the change mostly because of that.

As to the tips I will see what to do fortunately in Japan you can try these expensive IEM before buying, though I never bought additional tips (I am new in the IEM world). Is there a particular type that is recommended? I will search for these Comply, though they might not have them there...

Thanks!

As I expected the Comply are not available in the shop where I will buy the EQ7, they have Shure Black Foam Sleeves, but I do not know if they are compatible with the EQ7. Maybe someone tried them already and could tell me if they can be mounted and what is the result...

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #159 of 760
Hello stalflare,

The e-Q7 has WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more bass than the HF5. So bass will not be an issue for you with the Ortos. It will have bass no matter the tips you use. Just some bass helps bring it out more.

The Shures tips will not fit the e-Q7, so don't consider those. I would recommend the ordering the Comply, or Sennheiser IE8 double flange if you can't pick them up. Maybe other head-fiers have suggestions for other tips that bring the bass out on the e-Q7 but won't intrude on the other ranges that you can order. Hope I helped some.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #161 of 760
I can use the stock tips fine and the sony hybrids are a good alternative for me. If you are going to Japan you could test it out and see how the stock tips are for you and then decide if you want/need other tips.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #163 of 760
biggrin.gif

that's why i love hybrids. with the exception of the ck10 has worked out for the better on all the iem's i've used that hard the larger nozzle. although $9 essentially for one pair of tips is pretty expensive. buying the fake ones next time i need them ;p

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #164 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello stalflare,

The e-Q7 has WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more bass than the HF5. So bass will not be an issue for you with the Ortos. It will have bass no matter the tips you use. Just some bass helps bring it out more.

The Shures tips will not fit the e-Q7, so don't consider those. I would recommend the ordering the Comply, or Sennheiser IE8 double flange if you can't pick them up. Maybe other head-fiers have suggestions for other tips that bring the bass out on the e-Q7 but won't intrude on the other ranges that you can order. Hope I helped some.

Hi Eric,

Actually you are helping a LOT, thanks for it!

I had a look at the homepage of the shop where I am going to buy the earphones and tips, unfortunately they do not have Sennheiser IE8 as well. They have a lot of Sony hybrid but I do not understand if that is good or not, as I never really bought different tips from the ones that the earphones came equipped with.

Is it better to look for FOAM or SILICONE sleeves? I see a lot of people talk about double flanges, are they better than the standard "olive"?

They appear to have a lot of Audiotecnica, Sony and Panasonic products, and Shure (of course they are all Japanese brands)...

Maybe the eq7 will fit perfectly just as it is, but if they don't since I use them mostly on planes where the background noise is quite bad, I need to find something that will cancel external noise as much as possible...

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #165 of 760
First, search buddy, thank you for all you have done for me (recommendations, samples and some good advice to boot). Search is good people and have become a priceless head-fier friend. You are really appreciated buddy.

Stalflare, I have finally got my hands on some Sony Hybrids (thanks to some assistance from my pal search), and I will have to concur with rawrster. The Sony Hybrids so far have been the best tips for me in regards to the e-Q7. It just seems to boost the whole Orto sound spectrum, especially the highs that always seemed to be the only range a little recessed with the Ortos (although I'm not a huge treble lover).

I had originally thought the Sony hybrids would help my Monster Copper, but it was actually one of the worst for those IEMs. I was going to throw them away, when something prompted me to give them a try on the Ortos. Man! I'm glad I did. So I would rank tips for Ortos (for me) as Sony hybrid, and a tie between Comply T500 and the Xears orange foams.

I take the largest Sony hybrids (I think it's a teal color inside, but not 100 percent sure). These hug the Orto stemtight and should be placed all the way down where the stem meets the bass. They are somewhat of a challenge to get on. Remember stalflare that everyone ear is shaped different, so what I'm getting you may not get, but those Sonys are working for me. You just have to try a variety of tips, and sometimes you get lucky quickly. By the way, search's recommendation of the Sennhesier double flange is also a good option. I like those, but they take away some of the bass for me. The Sony enhances the bass for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back