Ortofon e-Q7 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #241 of 760
@search: it might be worse for me :p I haven't had access to it for like 2 weeks or so

Apr 4, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #242 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try and get THE HIGHWAYMEN LIVE search, they are willy nelson,johnny cash,kriss kisstoffison,waylon jennings, a real country super group, willy plays some mean semi accustic guitar on a couple of tracks, i bet the strings will sound really lush on the mds,i have to try it on the ortos
popcorn.gif
o2smile.gif

LOL.........Already on my list buddy! Should have the chance to get it this week!

Apr 4, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #243 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@search: it might be worse for me :p I haven't had access to it for like 2 weeks or so

@ Rawster >> Technical foul. sorry, you gotta sit out one game!!!

Edit: As a rather shady official...I could be paid off with a couple "Gray's Papaya dogs"
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #244 of 760
I like some country/bluegrass; as far as Johnny Cash goes the American series is my favorite (at the moment), as he makes up for his fading pipes a bit with some added emotionality.

But for country on the Ortos, The Del McCoury Band sounds completely amazing to my ears; great dynamics, exceptionally well recorded and mastered, great tunes. At least the recordings I have heard, The Cold Hard Facts, Its Just the Night, and The Company We Keep was the one I just heard on the Ortos. Note to self: pick up A Deeper Shade of Blue, the Groovegrass Years, and Moneyland!

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #245 of 760
Just wanted to post this and get some feedback. I just got a pair of ortofon e-q7's and I have to say that I profoundly disliked them. I noticed a fuzz/buzz in certain music (most noticable in "The enchantment" by Chic Correa/Bella Fleck). I've heard the grado's based on the same technology suffer from this defect as well primarilly with piano music however I noticed it on my friends rap records. Also... cant say what it is but I honestly feel that there was some regular omnipresent distortion... I've heard the term sibiliance mentioned in reference to what I thought I heard but frankly i cant be certain. Lowering the volume helps immensely but I feel that 3-4 notches below highest volume (looks like just above half volume on an iphone 3gs which is what I use) is not too loud to ask for good sq. Regardless of volume however, the buzz/fuzz initially mentioned presents itself on some music with some regularity at regular intervals and this pisses me off. I'm no expert... my previous earphones were dre beats studios and before that bose qc's but this just sounded aweful to me. I did notice that the sq at what i consider very low volumes was unbelievable. The reproduction was extremely accurate and balanced. It sounded very warm to me which I like but for all the flaws I noted I had to return them. What do you guys think? I just ordered westone w3's. Hoping they fit me better..

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #248 of 760
My best guess is that it's poor source recording since you dont notice it across all your music. Welcome to audiophile world! Your Bose and Dre's have probably been masking alot of poorly recorded music. The weakest link in the Audio chain, bad sound engineers!
mad.gif

I would say your Ortos are probably doing their job.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #249 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My best guess is that it's poor source recording since you dont notice it across all your music. Welcome to audiophile world! Your Bose and Dre's have probably been masking alot of poorly recorded music. The weakest link in the Audio chain, bad sound engineers!
mad.gif

I would say your Ortos are probably doing their job.

I agree on that with you Anaxilus, I did find some buzz/fuzz with music that isn't properly recorded/mixed, I do not know the terms here.
Anyways, my e-Q7 reveals me how horrible some recordings are made out there.
All best,

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #250 of 760
Chic Correa and Bella Fleck are two of the worlds most highly acclaimed musicians. Truly two guys who music connoseurs often speak of much as you guys talk about headphones... so that being said... Could they really have hired such a terrible sound engineer? In any case... Assuming it's the recordings... It happens often enough where I have to question wether or not I want to deal with that anyway. I just want to listen to music and hear those details without the ********. I want to hear the fingernails on the guitar strings and have the instruments seperated properly but don't really want to deal with every other song being poorly recorded. I would like that masked frankly but I wonder how I can get the best of both worlds. Anyone have any reccomendations? I don't hear it on all music but really... It's often enough. It's just for me, the slightest distortion of any kind (it's really quite obsessive) freaks me out, man. I get the feeling that I'm probably easier to irritate than most people...

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #251 of 760
All you guys are completely right... It's definately the recording... I'm using my klipsh s4i's and I'm starting to notice it ever so slightly even on these piece of **** iems... Man.. This is making things hard for me cuz I really liked the ortofons but you all are right. It reveals every flaw I could even imagine. I dunno what to do at this point. I can hear flaws in like a really good portion of the music I listen to on the ortofons and it pisses me off but when **** is recorded well it's unbelievable to listen to. I still can't deal with it though..

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #252 of 760
But as we have discussed recently on this thread, the Ortos are very forgiving on older vintage recordings. I was listening to some of Howlin' Wolfs old Chess recordings from the '50s on my desktop HE-5/EF5 setup, and wasn't really digging it as that setup was too revealing of the flaws. Switched to my portable rig with the same rip, and the album sounds much better. Less of a soundstage, but I think that has something to do with the improved sound; it is more dynamic with great tone and detail (for a '50s mono recording. Not sure how we resolve this seeming incongruency.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #254 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by cronus0326 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to post this and get some feedback. I just got a pair of ortofon e-q7's and I have to say that I profoundly disliked them. I noticed a fuzz/buzz in certain music (most noticable in "The enchantment" by Chic Correa/Bella Fleck). I've heard the grado's based on the same technology suffer from this defect as well primarilly with piano music however I noticed it on my friends rap records. Also... cant say what it is but I honestly feel that there was some regular omnipresent distortion... I've heard the term sibiliance mentioned in reference to what I thought I heard but frankly i cant be certain. Lowering the volume helps immensely but I feel that 3-4 notches below highest volume (looks like just above half volume on an iphone 3gs which is what I use) is not too loud to ask for good sq. Regardless of volume however, the buzz/fuzz initially mentioned presents itself on some music with some regularity at regular intervals and this pisses me off. I'm no expert... my previous earphones were dre beats studios and before that bose qc's but this just sounded aweful to me. I did notice that the sq at what i consider very low volumes was unbelievable. The reproduction was extremely accurate and balanced. It sounded very warm to me which I like but for all the flaws I noted I had to return them. What do you guys think? I just ordered westone w3's. Hoping they fit me better..

Hi before i got the ortos i did notice some buzzing noise coming from my music when listening through high end iems,it was confusing as all my music is taken from cds to lossless code, enyways it was quite frustrating and took me quite a while to realise it was interference being picked up from my mobile phone which was on my person in another pocket ,as soon as i turned of the the phone ,the buzzing stop, so these days i switch off my mobile when im on the go with music playing through iems and i only hear the buzzing if i forget to turn the phone off.Hope this imformation is of some help.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back