Ortofon e-Q7 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #256 of 760
@ grokit ,
Ive listened to a few hours of jimmy rodgers recordings on the ortos now and they play them very well ,the vocls come through very clean and clear, the timbre of all the instrements sounds good for the age of these recordings and they have a certain amount of weight and layering to them that i was not really expecting on iems with recordings this old, .the bass also has more weight and impact than i was expecting.

The ortos do pick up the tell tail sounds of the 78 rpm records that these recordings were mastered from but that kind of adds to the charm of listen to vintage records.
Usually if listening to these recordings on iems i would use the ie7 or ie8 as there warmth tends to thicken out the sound of recordings of this vintage and for the extra slap of the dymanic bass but the ortos do a very convincing job of reproducing these recordings in an injoyable and authentic way.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #257 of 760
I just got my westone w3's in as an exchange for the ortofons... I love them. Yes they don't do as well as the ortofons at a few things. The fuzz of an old recording seams more integrated into the music than on the ortofons where it sounds almost seperate somehow(though on alot of recordings there is alot less of it with the w3's to the point it's not even discernable in most cases) nd air flow in relation to the instruments isn't nearly as good. They do sound colored, sometimes more for some reason for me at some times compared to others but it's a vast improvement for me to my old Bose qcs and dre beats. The highs are definately very bright... I don't mind it and in fact I feel a greater emotional response from it in some violin pieces though I'm not certain I like it better. The amazing thing is that you can really tailor them for you like no other earphones I've ever had including the ortofons. The tips u use and even my iPhones 3gs' ****ty eq setting make a huge difference. I means it's huge and that's just unexpected since it barely ever makes a difference(well by contrast) and if it does then it's a bad change. With these it's never bad, just a matter of preference. I'm still working out which combinations I prefer. I put on a different combination and it seams like a completely different set of earphones all of a sudden. In any case... If anyone has the trouble I have with music sounding too flawwed (because the recording actually is) then I can't reccomend these enough. I don't notice any of the **** that made the ortofons unbearable for me. Not a studio headset for sure but awesome headset for just enjoying your music instead of analyzing it to remove flaws/assess recordings to fix it in the studio.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #258 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ grokit ,
Ive listened to a few hours of jimmy rodgers recordings on the ortos now and they play them very well

You've got me interested; what would be a better intro to Mr. Rodgers, the "Essential", or the "Very Best of"?

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #259 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've got me interested; what would be a better intro to Mr. Rodgers, the "Essential", or the "Very Best of"?

@ gromit , the very best of looks ok, cant find the essential ,but on amazom for around £15 you can get a 5cd set "RECORDINGS 1927-1933 "which has 111 tracks ,more or less everything jimmy recorded, not sure what the quality is like but it has good reviews.I have the bear family set which is very good quality recordings but quite pricey,only for collectors which i am.
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #260 of 760
Does the Ortofon O-One headphone sound similar to the e-Q7? Hardly see it being mentioned anywhere, let alone a full review.

Interested to try out the HD-Q7 amp though
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #262 of 760
So I've settled on the Sound magic double flange tips. I'm assuming the sennheiser double flange are soft and pretty much the same thing and their nozzle size doesn't cover any part of the Ortofon nozzle. Any idea on where I can get them for a non ripoff price like I saw on headroom when I googled them?

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #264 of 760
I wish to ask which brand of custom sleeves should I go for if intending to get one for the e-Q7? Price will be a major consideration as I will be saving up for either a custom or maybe another lens for my GF1.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #265 of 760
What tips do you guys use with your Ortofons? Are the stock tips good? Got some coming in the mail and I'm wondering if I should buy some third party tips.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #266 of 760
I used hybrids for a while but I've pretty much settled on sound magic PL30 tips. I got some double flange tips coming from ebay soon so hopefully it sounds similar with those on.

The stock tips aren't bad really they just weren't that comfortable for my ears. Others use sennheiser double flange tips or hybrids. Try your tip collection when you get them and find out.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #267 of 760
Just got these and love them so far. Best universals that I've tried. Major improvement from the CK10s to my ears. Very neutral across the spectrum with solid bass and great resolution.

The stock, large tips work fine for me but I wish that they had memory wire for going over the ears. I'm going to add some to mine if I decide to keep them.

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #269 of 760
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What tips do you guys use with your Ortofons? Are the stock tips good? Got some coming in the mail and I'm wondering if I should buy some third party tips.

i use the small senn double flange on the ortos
regular_smile .gif
or the stock medium tip sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back