Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #166 of 1,026
Quote:
Hey guys, so would anyone be able to recommend tips that are in between the large and medium stocks that come with the e-q5? While I think I get a good fit with the mediums, I get the feeling that if I could get something in between the large and medium (the large are too big), I would get an even bigger fit

First of all you could try to piggyback the medium stock tips on the small ones. I haven't tried this with the Ortofon tips, but the method has been helpful on several occasions when I thought I had a good fit but could maybe use a little more support.

Second, if that doesn't work I recommend Sony Hybrids. These are my preferred tips for the e-Q5 (and several other IEMs). They come in four sizes instead of the usual three and you can cut their stem to any length you like. By default their openings are smaller than the stock ones, therefore bass will be slightly enhanced. The more you shorten their stem their openings will widen as they stretch over the nozzle. I ended up with about half trimmed stems and am very pleased with both sound and fit.

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #167 of 1,026
i've used the meelec tips from the R1 for the e-Q7s and they work pretty well. though i still don't mind the stock ones so i just use those.

Dec 13, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #168 of 1,026
@James444,

My wallet hates you, but my ears thank you
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #169 of 1,026
This sounds interesting! So how would that work? Put the small tips on... and then try stretch the medium ones over it?

Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys, so would anyone be able to recommend tips that are in between the large and medium stocks that come with the e-q5? While I think I get a good fit with the mediums, I get the feeling that if I could get something in between the large and medium (the large are too big), I would get an even bigger fit

First of all you could try to piggyback the medium stock tips on the small ones. I haven't tried this with the Ortofon tips, but the method has been helpful on several occasions when I thought I had a good fit but could maybe use a little more support.

Second, if that doesn't work I recommend Sony Hybrids. These are my preferred tips for the e-Q5 (and several other IEMs). They come in four sizes instead of the usual three and you can cut their stem to any length you like. By default their openings are smaller than the stock ones, therefore bass will be slightly enhanced. The more you shorten their stem their openings will widen as they stretch over the nozzle. I ended up with about half trimmed stems and am very pleased with both sound and fit.

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #170 of 1,026
^ First reverse both caps, then try stretching the smaller tip's stem over the larger one's. If that works, mount the double-stem onto the nozzle and finally flip the caps back over again.

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #171 of 1,026
I have finished the burn-in for a few days now and I have spent some time listening to e-Q5. The more I listened, the more I am agree with James that e-Q5 is indeed an upgrade SQ wise over the e-Q7. No a big jump, but enough to tell the difference if one has the time to sit down and A/B them side by side.

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #172 of 1,026
is there a link to buy these eq-5 ? for europe , preferably...

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #174 of 1,026
Dec 13, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #178 of 1,026
Not surprising as Musica Acoustics is the sole distributor for Ortofon's IEM.

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #179 of 1,026
Quote:
^ First reverse both caps, then try stretching the smaller tip's stem over the larger one's. If that works, mount the double-stem onto the nozzle and finally flip the caps back over again.

Just tried it myself and it's doable. Of course there's no guarantee that the result will fit you, but it's worth a try:

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #180 of 1,026
Very creative! Will go home and try this today, from the looks of it, it should do the trick

Quote:
Quote:

Just tried it myself and it's doable. Of course there's no guarantee that the result will fit you, but it's worth a try:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back